wireless / wifi cards confirmed to work in puppy - OLD LIST

tempestuous

#166 Post by tempestuous »

Marcel wrote:However, I had to by-pass Ndiswrapper in the wizard, and instead, downloaded a NetcommXP set for NP544, which contains SiS163u.INF
Then your wifi device contains a SiS 163U chipset, not Ralink RT2571.
Since the SiS chipset has no native Linux driver available, then yes, ndiswrapper is your only choice of driver.
If your device truly had an RT2501 chipset then it would be supported by Puppy's "rt73usb" Linux driver.

slugsathome

Linksys WUSB54G v4

#167 Post by slugsathome »

Just installed Puppy 4.1.2 on a old Toshiba laptop. Using a WUSB54Gv4
Linksys adapter. Setup loaded the ralink 2500 driver. It would connect and DCHP worked but 90% of the time it would not browse and the few times it would it was VERY slow. Used the wizard and unloaded the ralink driver then used ndiswrapper to load the v4 .inf off the setup disk. Works great now!

HP-TQ-RPM

Sierra Wireless Aircard 811

#168 Post by HP-TQ-RPM »

Hi All! First post here. :)

I installed Pupply a few days ago; the download and initial installation went fine.
When I went to setup my Sierra Wireless Aircard 811, I started by going to Puppy Setup / Connect to the Internet or Intranet / Internet by Wireless GPRS Modem / GPRS Setup.
Unfortunately, I entered incorrect information in the GPRS setup, and was unable to connect, so I spent the better part of the last 2 days reading everything I could here (Linux noob, so I didn't understand a lot of it.) I began to realize that I wasn't ever seeing the GPRS setup anymore, just the Dialup setup, if I clicked on it. After several hours of going around in circles, including multiple re-boots, and trips back to WinXP to connect so I could browse here, I deleted the pup-sys whatever from Windows and did a fresh install.
After the new install, I entered the correct information in the GPRS Setup, and it connected the first try-good thing, since clicking on the button by "Internet by Wireless GPRS Modem" doesn't bring up the GPRS Setup screen anymore.
Apparently this is a one shot deal!

Seriously, how does one get back to the GPRS Setup screen? :?

Jonathan

Edit: After 4-5 days of pretty intensive internet usage, and a lot of downloads, I'm amazed to find that my Aircard (or my wireless connection via the Aircard) works BETTER with Puppy Linux than it ever did under WinXP. I used to have to try 3-4 times in order for a download to start. Once started they always finished with no problems, but a lot of times after clicking a "download" button the download progress indicator window would show that nothing was happening. With Puppy, every single download has started and completed successfully the first time. :) :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonathan.....future ex-windows user.
Puppy 4.20 Frugal on Toshiba Satellite A45, WinXP/Puppy, 2.5GHz Celeron, 1GB Ram, 120GB HD, Sierra 811 Aircard via AT&T.

thelash

Zyxel g202 usb wireless adaptor works on Pup420

#169 Post by thelash »

Connected zyxel g202 usb adaptor to an old beige xp box at work to get onto the work server.
Discovered that pup4.1 would load the zd1211 module for this adaptor, but would not work - couldn't get onto our network. Got online eventually using ndiswrapper and the xp driver but access to the local network via pnethood/samba very erratic. Lots of attempts needed, sometimes with success, sometimes not.
Setup pup420 - bingo! Seamless load and use of the zd1211 module, perfect first time every time access to the network and server.
Very happy puppy!

egosumpaul

#170 Post by egosumpaul »

Damn it! 6 months and still cannot make my PB S18 (AKA Kohjinsha SAx) wireless card work. It's a stupid Winbond card, I have the module (w35und.ko) but the load module app does not recognize it. Ndiswrapper is unusable since there is no .inf file on WindowsXP.
I like this distro so much, I even can avoid using the touch screen, but this 7 inches pc without wireless access to internet is useless.
Any suggestions?

tempestuous

#171 Post by tempestuous »

egosumpaul wrote:I have the module (w35und.ko)
Obtained from where? Was it compiled under a fully Puppy-compatible kernel?
If not, try the version I just compiled now -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 294#295294

egosumpaul

#172 Post by egosumpaul »

Thanks!!! module loaded... supposed to be connected, but no internet at all. LAN works OK. Don't know the reason...
Any suggestion?

egosumpaul

#173 Post by egosumpaul »

It works!!!! My fault. I run the wireless scanner, click on connect, voila!!

Many thanks! Now I will try to calibrate the touchscreen to make fully functional.

If you know how to calibrate I will appreciate your directions to do so.

Best

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

tempestuous

#174 Post by tempestuous »

egosumpaul wrote:Now I will try to calibrate the touchscreen to make fully functional.
Apparently the Koshinja laptop requires the "penmount" touchscreen driver/plugin.
See the serial touchscreen HOWTO here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 651#295651

For your situation, substitute all references to "fujitsu-ts" and "fujitsu" to "penmount".

Mr Henderson

Inventel UR054G USB

#175 Post by Mr Henderson »

I've got the Inventel UR054G USB wireless adaptor working well under Puppy 4.2, with Ndiswrapper. These adaptors are quite common because at one time Wanadoo/Orange supplied them with its Livebox router. The computer is an old Sony Vaio notebook, c. 2001. I'm dual booting with Windows 2000.

I initially had the problem that the Windows .inf and .sys driver files weren't installed to the same folder, so Ndiswrapper couldn't do anything. It's no good just moving the .inf file into the same folder as the .sys file. They must be installed by Windows to the same folder, so you may have some work to do in Windows. If you need more information, read on....

I found I couldn't get the installation CD to run. I'm not sure it would have installed the files to the same folder anyway, because Windows seems quite happy with them in different folders. With a bit of Googling, I found an installable package which did the trick; I got it from http://members.driverguide.com/. To find the right page, Google 'DV3.3.25_UV3.0.8' (that's the name of a folder within the zip file).

I was installing on a PC which had never had the Inventel software. (This software is not essential for the adaptor to work under Windows; Windows 2000 and XP have the drivers.) If you do have it installed, it may be as well to uninstall it before the next step, because the new drivers come with an 'XtremeMultimedia Card Utility' that might conflict with the Inventel stuff. If I remember rightly, you now need to unzip the new package (obviously) and then run the autorun.inf file. This will install everything to a new folder in your Windows directory. It also seems to over-write existing copies of the driver files. The new folder is the one where Ndiswrapper must look for the PRISMA02.inf file.

Don't be confused by the fact that the driver files are called PRISMA02 - these are the drivers for the Prism54 chip, not the Prism2.

The adaptor continues to work fine under Windows, incidentally.

At first I still had a fragile connection, but it turned out to be a USB port problem, not a wireless problem.

Mr Henderson

Netgear WG511T

#176 Post by Mr Henderson »

The Netgear WG511T PCMCIA/Cardbus adapter works with Puppy 4.2. Ran straight out of the box on my old Sony Vaio notebook.

It would be much better if there was a single list of all the tested wireless adapters. The information is getting lost in all the question-and-answer stuff.

spring

#177 Post by spring »

intel minipci iwl4965 works fine on 4.2 with new firmware iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode in /lib/firmware.

the firmware download URL:
http://intellinuxwireless.org/iwlwifi/d ... 7.2.23.tgz

edoc

#178 Post by edoc »

Why did Puppy 4.2.1 roll back to the old and less functional Network Wizard?

The Gigafast USB modem with ZyDAS chipset works on about everything end was fine under 4.2.0 but is not working in 4.2.1

The Old Network Wizard has me back in the slow and frustrating cycle of looking as though it is going to work and then failing over and over.

HardInfo sees the modem OK. I have rebooted with the nic in place - just in case it did not get picked up when inserted after I booted - no joy.

Is there a way to get the good Network Wizard back into 4.2.1?

I am afraid to upgrade my wife's desktop as I have a wireless device on there working fine under 4.2.0 but there are fixes in 4.2.1 I'd like to take advantage of.

Help?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

mulrah

Gateway WBM-120

#179 Post by mulrah »

Setting this up is easy, now that I know what I'm doing. The trick is that there's an extra step after loading the right module, and that extra step varies depending upon which version of Puppy you are using.

For both Puppy 3 and 4, you need to load the orinoco_cs and orinoco modules, either at boot by using the Boot Manager or every time you boot using the Network Setup Wizard.

Then you need to bind the card to the driver. In Puppy 3, add the following lines to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts:

Code: Select all

card "Gateway WBM-120"
  manfid 0x028a, 0x55b0
  bind "orinoco_cs"
You then need to restart card services by issuing "/etc/init.d/rc.pcmcia restart" in a terminal. The light on the card should start blinking, and then you will see the card in the Network Setup window, probably as eth1. If you are automatically loading orinoco at boot, then you should be set from now on.

In Puppy 4, you do not need to edit the config.opts file. Instead, issue the following in a terminal:

echo "0x3 0x28a 0x55b0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0" > /sys/bus/pcmcia/drivers/orinoco_cs/new_id
You will have to issue this command every time you boot, unless you create a startup script that does it for you automatically.

I actually got these instructions from the Naked Ape Wiki (http://nakedape.cc/wiki/FedoraNotes), after HOURS of trying different modules and ndiswrapper. Finally, this worked!

mechmike

Re: $11.99 at meritline

#180 Post by mechmike »

mechmike wrote:http://www.meritline.com/ieee-802-11g-w ... drive.html

REALTEK 8187 Chipset, works with Puppy 4.1.1 on my notebook.

They run coupons periodically where you can buy this for $10 shipped in the US...
Here's the latest cheap RT8187L version:

http://www.meritline.com/wireless-mini- ... 33917.aspx

Looks like the adapter in my original link is no longer available.

five

#181 Post by five »

Linksys WPC600N, confirmed working, using these drivers. I've tested it on both WPA2 (AES) and unencrypted networks. Both worked just fine, no problems at all.

jackieflorida

#182 Post by jackieflorida »

Using Puppy Linux 4.1.2 on an old Gateway Solo 9100 laptop.
HEGU, a cheap Chinese PCMCIA wifi adapter confirmed to work with WEP, WPA, and WPA2 (confirmed and edited 9/11/09) via Puppy Linux native Broadcom b43legacy driver that loads automatically.
For under $12 delivered, I was pleasantly surprised.
See it here:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13731

The included .zip Windows drivers were incorrect. I didn't check the included .rar drivers.

I continue to very much like this PCMCIA wifi adapter and just leave it in the old laptop's slot permanently. It does stick out about an inch so some precaution about it is needed, but that's easy. That is why I prefer it to a USB adapter which presents physical demands. I've upgraded to Puppy 4.2.1 with no problems.

Having seen Fishback's really nice compilation posted below, and in response to his suggestions, I invoked Menu/System/PupScanInterfaceInformation and retrieved these details:

DESCRIPTION: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
VENDOR: 14e4  DEVICE: 4320  KERNEL MODULE: bcm43xx
In the PuppyNetworkWizard the module stated is b43legacy as reported above is the one that works. The bcm43xx modules did not work. The WPA2 is more specifically on the router as:
WPA2 Personal AES.

Regarding encryption and securing your wifi network check this:
http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=7281
Last edited by jackieflorida on Fri 11 Sep 2009, 14:46, edited 3 times in total.

johnheav

Linksys WUSB54GC works...

#183 Post by johnheav »

The Linksys WUSB54GC USB adapter works under Puppy 4.2.1. I use PWireless for the wireless interface. Puppy knows the driver to install, there's nothing for the user to do except boot up, connect, and GO!

Oddly enough, I can't get it to install properly under XP. Go figure.

Tanuvan

Re: Linksys WUSB54GC works...

#184 Post by Tanuvan »

johnheav wrote:The Linksys WUSB54GC USB adapter works under Puppy 4.2.1. I use PWireless for the wireless interface. Puppy knows the driver to install, there's nothing for the user to do except boot up, connect, and GO!

Oddly enough, I can't get it to install properly under XP. Go figure.
I am using the same adapter and same version of puppy. It works for a while and then locks up Puppy. In order to shutdown, I have to pull the power cord :(

It only happens with this particular USB adapter model.

I attempted to use the ndiswrapper instead, and the same thing occurs.

NHArticleTen

Acer Aspire One AOA-150-1864

#185 Post by NHArticleTen »

Acer Aspire One AOA-150-1864

Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN mini card working with Puppy 4.2.1

Triple-booting(grub) XP Pro SP3, Ubuntu 9.04 full version Jaunty, and Puppy 4.2.1

did all my LiveCD work with an old cd-rom drive and one of those multi-cables from Coolmax via Newegg
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812104062)

works great...and I've still got five logical partitions for five more *nix distros!

screen is a little small and hard on the old guy's eyes...lol.