Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 03 Sep 2014, 04:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
wireless / wifi cards confirmed to work in puppy - OLD LIST
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 10 of 13 [186 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
ken_cat

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul 2008, 21:52    Post subject:  

Jeffreytooker wrote:

ken_cat:

What did you find was the proper driver for PP 3.01?

Jeffrey

Question Jeffrey, I have a different wifi card than you do (mentioned in a previous post), so this would not apply.

Or are you referring to another type of driver?
Jeffreytooker

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul 2008, 22:58    Post subject:
Subject description: Tactical Retreat

ken_cat wrote:
Jeffreytooker wrote:

ken_cat:

What did you find was the proper driver for PP 3.01?

Jeffrey

Question Jeffrey, I have a different wifi card than you do (mentioned in a previous post), so this would not apply.

Or are you referring to another type of driver?

ken_cat:

Have decided to go to ether net. I can do it with a 100 ft of cable. I will keep the WIFI unit and see if a later Puppy will work with it. Have to place a hardware order. I can order online at half of the price of local retail, and gas to run 30 mi to town keeps us to once a week. UPS comes to the door.

Jeffrey.
Jeffreytooker

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2008, 11:44    Post subject: Re: Trendnet TEW-423PCI pci wifi adapter works with ndiswrap
Subject description: Here is an excellent wifi adapter for Puppy at a low price.

I looked at a half dozen or so Linux distributions via live CD. The key item for me is functioning wifi and Puppy4 has been the champ in that category for me.

It would be nice to have a slicker GUI wifi network applet but I get by nicely with these links on my desktop:
1. to Pwireless wireless scanner
2. to a script for iwconfig console output.

These two links and the native connect link, all on my desktop, give me easy and quick control of my wifi setup.

For #1 above, just go to /usr/sbin and drag Pwireless out onto your desktop.
For #2 above, you can copy and past these lines into Geany
Quote:
#!/bin/sh
rxvt -e iwconfig

and then drag the script file from its directory (folder) onto the desktop.

Jackieflorida:

I have been trying to locate this Pwireless Scanner driver and no joy. I looked in the driver list for the Network Wizard in Puppy 4.0. I have looked online also. Where is the driver available?

TIA

Jeffrey
Jeffreytooker

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2008, 18:35    Post subject:
Subject description: Belkin 7050 version 4000 WIFI in Puppy 4.0 WORKS

tempestuous:

Belkin 7050 version 4000 WIFI in Puppy 4.0 WORKS. I was sent an email by Robert. He said Pwireless scanner (Puppy 4.0 Menu>Network>Pwireless scanner should get my Belkin WIFI to work. It did. There is a work around for full installs at this link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=212315#212315

Thanks to all for all of the help. A particular thanks to tempestuous for his great help.

Jeffrey
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2008, 23:14    Post subject:  

Ah, you're using a full HD installation! The problem of full HD installs not including the complete collection of modules has been an ongoing problem for a long time, and I have lobbied Barry about fixing the Puppy Universal Installer on several occasions.

So your failed wifi situation was a result of comorbidities!
Jeffreytooker wrote:
I was sent an email by Robert. He said Pwireless scanner (Puppy 4.0 Menu>Network>Pwireless scanner should get my Belkin WIFI to work. It did.

I suggest that the real problem was the missing modules, which you have fixed with muggins' solution.
I just looked at the code within Pwireless now, and (as expected) it uses almost the same configuration commands as I explained in the Wifi HOWTO, and the same that Network Wizard uses. Here is the relevant section of Pwireless -
Code:
iwconfig $DEVICE mode $MODE
iwconfig $DEVICE essid "$ESSID"
iwconfig $DEVICE key $KEY
iwconfig $DEVICE ap $APMAC
iwconfig $DEVICE channel $CHANNEL

You will see that "mode", "essid" and "key" are set in a slightly different order, this could have some impact.
Jeffreytooker

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2008, 01:16    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
Ah, you're using a full HD installation! The problem of full HD installs not including the complete collection of modules has been an ongoing problem for a long time, and I have lobbied Barry about fixing the Puppy Universal Installer on several occasions.

So your failed wifi situation was a result of comorbidities!
<Snip>
You will see that "mode", "essid" and "key" are set in a slightly different order, this could have some impact.

tempestuous:

I am presently in a full installation of 4.0. In time I will set up and burn an open DVD. None of my old systems will start from USB. You are correct my wireless problem had several items that needed corrected. I was not surprised. What you have found out about the coding may contribute to 4.01. Most problems of any complexity at all have more than one item to correct. I can now get classical music out of Seattle.

Jeffrey
daklander

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2008, 17:03    Post subject: D-Link DWL-G510  

D-Link DWL-G510 Version 1 PCI card works. WEP encryption.
I don't know which chip is in the card but the card works fine using ndiswrapper.
Laie

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul 2008, 17:51    Post subject: aquip A/WLAN1 54M USB Wireless
Subject description: Marvell libertas 8338 chipset

aquip A/WLAN1 54M USB Wireless device with
Marvell libertas 8338 chipset works with WPA.
I used Puppy's Network Wizard (under Muppy 008.3E[Puppy 301]) and
ndiswrapper with the WIN98-driver NetMW221.inf (and MRVW221.sys).
LaneLester

PostPosted: Sat 20 Sep 2008, 10:48    Post subject: Recommended USB Stick?  

Guys, I need to connect some old boxes to my wireless router in a hurry. There are no wires to the room yet. Can you recommend a USB stick that will work right out of the box... and hopefully doesn't cost much?

Lane
dogle

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep 2008, 18:27    Post subject:  

[oops, old habits die hard, edit to correct version numbering]

I've just had chance to run some comparative tests on three USB wifi adaptors, in 3.01, 4.1beta vanilla and 4.1retro beta.

Background: Been using a Belkin model F5D7050 [on the device label], ProductID=705c [Pupscan], for more than a year. Needed ndiswrapper in the 2** series but likes the 3.01 zd1211rw driver loaded out of the box. Wanting a backup, got the Belkin higher-spec successor, didn't work [progressive freezeup], took it back to the shop. Subsequently got two cheap Pluscom adaptors [a brand name of the Chinese packager Shenztech], models WU-ZD1211B and WU-TR2571W, identified by Pupscan as manufacturer ZyDAS and Ralink, ProductID=1215 and 2573 respectively. Neither worked with 3.01.

The tests were run cold-booting pfix=ram on a Duron box with 512 MB.

Summary of results:

F5D7050

3.01: is happy with KERNEL-MODULE=zd1211rw [version 1.0] loaded automatically.

4.1beta: loads zd1211rw, wizard detects network but reports 'unable to connect'; failure with Pwireless and Xautoconnect.

4.1retro beta: reports KERNEL-MODULE=(none) network not detected, even when zd1211rw loaded manually per wizard; Xautoconnect requests 'load appropriate driver'.

WU-ZD1211B

3.01: loads zd1211rw to no effect, nor do any of the other USB drivers work. [I subsequently tried Tempestuous' ZyDAS DotPet, without success].

4.1beta: loads zd1211rw, detects network but reports 'unable to connect'; failure with Pwireless and Xautoconnect.

4.1retro beta: reports KERNEL-MODULE=(none), failure as beta.

..................... paperweight?

WU-TR2571W

3.01: Network wizard sees interface rausb0, but test provokes progressive freezup, kill command not successful. However, works when the rt73 driver is forced.

4.1beta: Picks up the rt73usb driver, wizard sees wlan but reports 'unable to connect', eventual success with Pwireless.

4.1retro beta: This adaptor consistently stalls the boot process, immediately prior to 'keyboard'. [Someone else has had similar stall problems, can't locate the report; wonder if he had a dodgy USB device].

Hope this will shed some light somewhere.

Oh, all tests with WEP, I'm not able to test WPA right now.

Heartiest thanks to Dougal and Tempestuous; LaneLester, welcome ~!~ [wagz].

Last edited by dogle on Fri 26 Sep 2008, 17:04; edited 1 time in total
LaneLester

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep 2008, 20:33    Post subject:  

dogle wrote:
I've just had chance to run some comparative tests on three USB wifi adaptors, in 301, 401beta vanilla and 401retro beta.

Thanks for that report, dogle. Frankly, I don't think wireless makes much sense for desktops. I'll put NICs in these three old machines to go with the eight refurbed old machines that I'm geting for the school lab. They will all come with NICs. I guess I'll get a couple of cheap switches to hook them all to the router.

Lane
cedayiv

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep 2008, 20:54    Post subject: Airlink101 AWLC4130  

Airlink 101 "Super G" AWLC4130 Wireless Cardbus card.

Automatically works in Puppy 4.00 "Dingo" with the ath_pci driver, no tinkering required. However, I could NOT set up WPA via the Network Wizard. Entering the ASCII key in the GUI didn't work, with or without a preceding "s:". I had to hand edit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and enter the key line using double-quotes:

For example,
psk="3CfgH9283xqpsjldfjap9800oDSPE67"

Once I restarted the wpa_supplicant process using kill -HUP, I was able to get an IP address via DHCP in the Network Wizard. Web browsing now began working, so I stopped pulling my hair out!

I'm not sure if this is a bug in the Network Wizard, or just my inexperience with Puppy, but either way there is room for improvement in the user experience, as the solution was in no way obvious to me.

Is there a better place that I should post this "solution"? (Or perhaps it is already mentioned somewhere?)

Here are the card specs:
http://www.airlink101.com/products/awlc4130.php
wilvi

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep 2008, 22:01    Post subject: RaLink  

MSI M670X notebook: Ralink wireless card works o.k.

Puppy 4.0

I'm typing from it Very Happy
Olida

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep 2008, 22:46    Post subject:  

IBM 11a/b/g Wireless Cardbus Adapter (PCMCIA)

Puppy 3.01
Working with ndiswrapper

Puppy 4.00 dingo
Automatically detected as atheros (no tinkering required)

No problems with WPA
paul.sijpkes

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct 2008, 19:24    Post subject: wifi list
Subject description: need version numbers

Thanks cobelloy for putting in the effort to put this list together.

It would however be very useful if the puppy version numbers confirmed to be functional for each card are also also included. For example, I understand that some cards work under 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 using the RtUtilt utility but this is not included in 4.0.

I don't want to bag your work, I just thought this would be useful! Smile

cheers,

Paul
Page 10 of 13 [186 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: