wireless / wifi cards confirmed to work in puppy - OLD LIST

tempestuous

#121 Post by tempestuous »

ken_cat wrote:On my system, the zd1211b-2.21.0.0-k2.6.21.7.pet file installs from Rox ok, and modprobe works ok on zd1211b, but the file locations are different from what has been discussed.
Just to be clear: zd1211.ko and zd1211b.ko install to exactly where they were intended: /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/net
The other listings in your search for "zd1211b" are system-generated.
Jeffreytooker wrote: ... all that I have found leads me to believe there is a difference between the Puppy kernel that you are using and the 4.0 kernel that others of us are using.
Possibly there are differences between Puppy3.x and 4.0 (like ROX?) but the kernel is 100% identical.

Of course, there are other Puppy4.x variants which have different kernels - the "experimental" 4.0 release has a 2.6.25 kernel, and earlier alphas and betas were different again.
But even then, zd1211b-2.21.0.0-k2.6.21.7.pet will still install to its intended location. Dotpets install to absolute locations, regardless of whether the intended location is compatible with the host Puppy version.

Jeffreytooker

#122 Post by Jeffreytooker »

tempestuous wrote:
ken_cat wrote:On my system, the zd1211b-2.21.0.0-k2.6.21.7.pet file installs from Rox ok, and modprobe works ok on zd1211b, but the file locations are different from what has been discussed.
Just to be clear: zd1211.ko and zd1211b.ko install to exactly where they were intended: /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/net
The other listings in your search for "zd1211b" are system-generated.
Jeffreytooker wrote: ... all that I have found leads me to believe there is a difference between the Puppy kernel that you are using and the 4.0 kernel that others of us are using.
Possibly there are differences between Puppy3.x and 4.0 (like ROX?) but the kernel is 100% identical.

Of course, there are other Puppy4.x variants which have different kernels - the "experimental" 4.0 release has a 2.6.25 kernel, and earlier alphas and betas were different again.
But even then, zd1211b-2.21.0.0-k2.6.21.7.pet will still install to its intended location. Dotpets install to absolute locations, regardless of whether the intended location is compatible with the host Puppy version.
tempestuous and ken_cat:

I made some progress last night. I believe I know what the problem is and it is mine :oops: :oops: :oops: . Newbie ignorance. I have an idea about what I have done wrong. Now I have to prove it. I believe both the 4.0 disk and the zd1211b driver are fine. I believe I have a system problem. Your collective advice turned the trick. I will work it out before I say more.

Thank you both.

Jeffrey

Jeffreytooker

#123 Post by Jeffreytooker »

tempestuous and ken_cat:

I made some progress last night. I believe I know what the problem is and it is mine :oops: :oops: :oops: . Newbie ignorance. I have an idea about what I have done wrong. Now I have to prove it. I believe both the 4.0 disk and the zd1211b driver are fine. I believe I have a system problem. Your collective advice turned the trick. I will work it out before I say more.

Thank you both.

Jeffrey[/quote]

tempestuous and ken_cat:

It as I supposed above. It was a formatting and partitioning problem. I ran a complete installation(including fdisk and re partitioning) as per forum member Shadow, link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 28eb6056ac Half way down page. I had to tweak it a bit for Puppy 4.0.

I now have zd1211b installed. I ran both lines of code. It is in the Petget Package Manager, in the installed section. It is in the location /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/net/zd1211b.ko. zd1211b is not in the driver list of the network wizard. zd1211rw is. I have tried the wizard setup and it only loads the zd1211rw (the wrong driver). I have made progress but I am not there yet because zd1211b is not in the wizard driver list. Still need a bit of help.

In considering the failure to load problem, not loading is reasonable if Puppy is not working in a properly established partition. I will post Solved to the ROX Not Loading thread.

My appologies.

Jeffrey

ken_cat

#124 Post by ken_cat »

Jeffrey,

Progress is a good thing. Nice to see you are past that hurdle.

I am also new (~week) to Puppy and Linux, so hopefully tempestuous can help from this point. I can offer two good threads here that if you haven't read yet you should do. They'll let you try some manual loading of the module and manually connect the card. I'll keep following to learn more as well.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 76&t=29664

Jeffreytooker

#125 Post by Jeffreytooker »

ken_cat wrote:Jeffrey,

Progress is a good thing. Nice to see you are past that hurdle.

I am also new (~week) to Puppy and Linux, so hopefully tempestuous can help from this point. I can offer two good threads here that if you haven't read yet you should do. They'll let you try some manual loading of the module and manually connect the card. I'll keep following to learn more as well.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 76&t=29664
ken_cat:

Will checkout the links. Now that I have found wiping and formatting disks so important, I am sending you links for wiping a HDD.

http://puppylinux.org/wiki/archives/old ... iskinstall

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

I am using GParted to re partition. I am actually setting up an old machine to wipe disks as I have it laying around. It has been a learning experience.

Jeffrey

tempestuous

#126 Post by tempestuous »

Jeffreytooker wrote:zd1211b is not in the driver list of the network wizard.
Still need a bit of help.
tempestuous wrote:After installing zd1211+b-2.21.0.0-k2.6.21.7.pet do this -

Code: Select all

rmmod zd1211rw
modprobe zd1211b
Now you should be able to configure your wifi network with the Network Wizard.

Jeffreytooker

#127 Post by Jeffreytooker »

tempestuous wrote:
Jeffreytooker wrote:zd1211b is not in the driver list of the network wizard.
Still need a bit of help.
tempestuous wrote:After installing zd1211+b-2.21.0.0-k2.6.21.7.pet do this -

rmmod zd1211rw
modprobe zd1211b
Now you should be able to configure your wifi network with the Network Wizard.
Have done that already, but will continue to work on problem. 8)

Thank you.

Jeffrey

ken_cat

#128 Post by ken_cat »

Jeffrey,

If the modprobe zd1211b works without error, what is happening with the wizard? It should detect the interface yes? If not, maybe you have a bios issue or......????.

FYI - I have switched to version 3.01. The Networking Wizard works sooo sweet compared to 4.00, and with a full install, after loading the proper module, and entering the WPA data, on subsequent reboots the wireless card is now configured and up and running automagically. V4.00 would not do that.

tempestuous

#129 Post by tempestuous »

Now that I think about it, the new interface may need to be brought up, and a bit of diagnosis is in order, so -
after the "modprobe zd1211b" check if there is a valid wifi interface as such -

ifconfig -a
Hopefully you should see a wifi interface listed ... probably called "wlan0". This may need to be brought up -

ifconfig wlan0 up
Now this interface (wlan0) should certainly be seen by the Network Wizard.

or OPTION B - how to add "zd1211b" module to Network Wizard driver list -
open /etc/networkmodules in Geany, add these lines, and save.

zd1211 "usb:  ZyDAS 802.11b/g USB Wireless LAN adapter"
zd1211b "usb:  ZyDAS 802.11b/g USB Wireless LAN adapter"

Jeffreytooker

#130 Post by Jeffreytooker »

If the modprobe zd1211b works without error, what is happening with the wizard? It should detect the interface yes? If not, maybe you have a bios issue or......????.

FYI - I have switched to version 3.01. The Networking Wizard works sooo sweet compared to 4.00, and with a full install, after loading the proper module, and entering the WPA data, on subsequent reboots the wireless card is now configured and up and running automagically. V4.00 would not do that.
Ken_cat:

For now I will keep working in 4.0 so we can have continuity with the Wifi driver problem. I will be working my way through the info from tempestuous. It seems that there are others out there with the same problem and seem to have gotten stopped. Fixing the problem will help others. As far as 3.01 I have been thinking about reverting to it. The machine I am writing from now is in Ubuntu 7.10 which is one version behind the present 8.04. I was advised by an Ubuntu list member that it is better for newbies to stay one version behind as the problems are less. I would believe the same would hold for Puppy. A friend is bringing an old computer in a week or so. I will see if I can set it up for 3.01.

As far as reverting to 3.01, can one run 3.01 over 4.0 just by booting from the 3.01 disk in the same machine, or does it have to be a clean install?

I got my old machine set up to scrub HDD's. The machine is slow and I just leave it run until it is done. The DBAN program works very well. I do however keep the disk put away as it will wipe a drive completely out.

Jeffrey

ken_cat

#131 Post by ken_cat »

Jeffreytooker wrote:
As far as reverting to 3.01, can one run 3.01 over 4.0 just by booting from the 3.01 disk in the same machine, or does it have to be a clean install?

Jeffrey
Without word from an expert, I would clear the partition that has 4.0. I used Gparted to delete the partition and then reformatted it (tried out reiserfs). To me this wipes out anything that was on the partition. Then installed 3.01. Ran the Grub install to put it in MBR on same partition as the Puppy3.01.

Makes sense continuing with 4.0 on your issue. Once you get the module recognized in the Wizard, watch out for an incorrect message that says WPA connection not established when in fact it has. Read the next window carefully after you see that little "Lie", and carry on to get the IP.

Jeffreytooker

#132 Post by Jeffreytooker »

tempestuous wrote:Now that I think about it, the new interface may need to be brought up, and a bit of diagnosis is in order, so -

ifconfig -a
Hopefully you should see a wifi interface listed ... probably called "wlan0". This may need to be brought up -

ifconfig wlan0 up

tempestuous:

<<<after the "modprobe zd1211b">>>
Done, yields Command Prompt.

<<<check if there is a valid wifi interface as such -

ifconfig -a
>>>
Done, yields eth0 plus other stuff.

<<<This may need to be brought up -

ifconfig wlan0 up
Now this interface (wlan0) should certainly be seen by the Network Wizard.>>>
Done, used eth0, yields CP. Not in NW wizard. Rebooted, not in NW wizard.

<<<or OPTION B - how to add "zd1211b" module to Network Wizard driver list -

[/quote]>>>
Pasted both as required and saved. zd1211b now in NW wizard list. Loads from list OK. Does not find interface, zd1211rw does.

Blacklisted zd1211rw and rebooted. NW wizard "Autoload USB", no interface found. Un blacklisted zd1211rw. NW wizard "Autoload USB", Has interface with zd1211rw, eth0.

zd1211b.ko and zd1211.ko located at: /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/net. zd1211rw.ko located at: /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/z/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw. Reboot, NW wizard install failed. Moved zd1211b back to /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/net. Rebooted NW wizard loads OK, no interface.

zd1211b.ko is properly located and in list. NW wizard can find it and load it. zd1211b.ko just does not find interface. Wifi unit seems to have connection to the modem with zd1211rw.ko, so the RF link seems to be good.

Jeffrey

Jeffreytooker

#133 Post by Jeffreytooker »

tempestuous wrote:Now that I think about it, the new interface may need to be brought up, and a bit of diagnosis is in order, so -

ifconfig -a

ifconfig wlan0 up

tempestuous:

Here FYI is the Autoconnect-0.5 that I told you about. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26935

Jeffrey

tempestuous

#134 Post by tempestuous »

Jeffreytooker wrote:

ifconfig -a
>>>
Done, yields eth0 plus other stuff.
Ah, wouldn't that be your ethernet interface?
It looks to me that the zd1211b driver fails to create an interface, so end of story.
You could try the zd1211 module, or just wait for the improved zd1211rw with Puppy 4.1.

When replying, please don't quote the entire contents of our earlier posts.
It makes the thread twice as verbose as it needs to be, and makes it harder for readers to follow.

Jeffreytooker

#135 Post by Jeffreytooker »

ken_cat:

What did you find was the proper driver for PP 3.01?

Jeffrey

ken_cat

#136 Post by ken_cat »

Jeffreytooker wrote:
ken_cat:

Jeffrey
:?: Jeffrey, I have a different wifi card than you do (mentioned in a previous post), so this would not apply.

Or are you referring to another type of driver?

Jeffreytooker

#137 Post by Jeffreytooker »

ken_cat wrote:
Jeffreytooker wrote:
ken_cat:

Jeffrey
:?: Jeffrey, I have a different wifi card than you do (mentioned in a previous post), so this would not apply.

Or are you referring to another type of driver?
ken_cat:

Have decided to go to ether net. I can do it with a 100 ft of cable. I will keep the WIFI unit and see if a later Puppy will work with it. Have to place a hardware order. I can order online at half of the price of local retail, and gas to run 30 mi to town keeps us to once a week. UPS comes to the door.

Jeffrey.

Jeffreytooker

Re: Trendnet TEW-423PCI pci wifi adapter works with ndiswrap

#138 Post by Jeffreytooker »

I looked at a half dozen or so Linux distributions via live CD. The key item for me is functioning wifi and Puppy4 has been the champ in that category for me.

It would be nice to have a slicker GUI wifi network applet but I get by nicely with these links on my desktop:
1. to Pwireless wireless scanner
2. to a script for iwconfig console output.

These two links and the native connect link, all on my desktop, give me easy and quick control of my wifi setup.

For #1 above, just go to /usr/sbin and drag Pwireless out onto your desktop.
For #2 above, you can copy and past these lines into Geany
#!/bin/sh
rxvt -e iwconfig
and then drag the script file from its directory (folder) onto the desktop.

Jackieflorida:

I have been trying to locate this Pwireless Scanner driver and no joy. I looked in the driver list for the Network Wizard in Puppy 4.0. I have looked online also. Where is the driver available?

TIA

Jeffrey

Jeffreytooker

#139 Post by Jeffreytooker »

tempestuous:

Belkin 7050 version 4000 WIFI in Puppy 4.0 WORKS. I was sent an email by Robert. He said Pwireless scanner (Puppy 4.0 Menu>Network>Pwireless scanner should get my Belkin WIFI to work. It did. There is a work around for full installs at this link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 315#212315

Thanks to all for all of the help. A particular thanks to tempestuous for his great help.

Jeffrey

tempestuous

#140 Post by tempestuous »

Ah, you're using a full HD installation! The problem of full HD installs not including the complete collection of modules has been an ongoing problem for a long time, and I have lobbied Barry about fixing the Puppy Universal Installer on several occasions.

So your failed wifi situation was a result of comorbidities!
Jeffreytooker wrote:I was sent an email by Robert. He said Pwireless scanner (Puppy 4.0 Menu>Network>Pwireless scanner should get my Belkin WIFI to work. It did.
I suggest that the real problem was the missing modules, which you have fixed with muggins' solution.
I just looked at the code within Pwireless now, and (as expected) it uses almost the same configuration commands as I explained in the Wifi HOWTO, and the same that Network Wizard uses. Here is the relevant section of Pwireless -

iwconfig $DEVICE mode $MODE
iwconfig $DEVICE essid "$ESSID"
iwconfig $DEVICE key $KEY
iwconfig $DEVICE ap $APMAC
iwconfig $DEVICE channel $CHANNEL
You will see that "mode", "essid" and "key" are set in a slightly different order, this could have some impact.