How To Easily Make a VLC AppDir in 64bit pups

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
TecnoGuy458

How To Easily Make a VLC AppDir in 64bit pups

#1 Post by TecnoGuy458 »

VLC has a lot of dependencies. and i was somewhat disappointed that xenialpup didn't include vlc. Rather than install a bazzilion dependencies and such, i decided to try an appimage of VLC.

I found one here: https://github.com/darealshinji/vlc-AppImage/releases (i chose v2.2.8 )

make executable and... it wasn't compiled with the run as root option. what to do?

Well. here is what i did:

First off, make it executable. rightclick the file and click properties, check the "exec" boxes and click "ok".

Second off, its a gen 2 appimage, so we can extract it into an appdir by running it with the --appimage-extract option.

This will create a appdir in the folder you saved the appimage in.

To run it as root. (note: you may be able to run it as spot. haven't tried it.)

Now what we need to do is make the VLC binary think we aren't running as root.
(note for xenial:, spot doesn't have fuse permissions, so appimages can't be run as spot.)

first open the appdir by rightclicking it and selecting "look inside".
then open a terminal in (your new vlc appdir)/usr/bin (e.g. /root/vlcappdir/usr/bin), and run the following sed command:

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' ./vlc
after whipping up a desktop entry and doing the usual vlc configuring, it works for me on xenialpup.

Hope someone finds this useful.

corvus

#2 Post by corvus »

Hi TecnoGuy458, nice tip. I prefer vlc as multimedia player.
In Xenialpup64 I extracted the Appimage in /root/my-applications/bin/ and created a desktop file (attached) in /usr/share/applications/ for a menu entry.
Thank you very much! :D
Attachments
vlc-2.2.8.desktop.gz
fake gz
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

TecnoGuy458

#3 Post by TecnoGuy458 »

corvus wrote:Hi TecnoGuy458, nice tip. I prefer vlc as multimedia player.
In Xenialpup64 I extracted the Appimage in /root/my-applications/bin/ and created a desktop file (attached) in /usr/share/applications/ for a menu entry.
Thank you very much! :D
your welcome! it is nice having vlc media player without a bunch of dependency nonsense isn't it? :)