How to boot Puppy 202 or 201 Normal HD install using Grub.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
can8v

How to boot Puppy 202 or 201 Normal HD install using Grub.

#1 Post by can8v »

I can't believe someone hasn't covered this problem on the forum yet. I have found a couple fairly related threads, but not quite the same problem. I have been getting a lot of database errors lately so maybe I am simply not finding the right thread.
Anyway the problem is when I try to do a Normal install of 202 or 210 and use the Grub installer I can't boot. I have always been able to do this from 107 right through 201, but ever since 202 no go.
The message I get is:
Can't find file.
This error message is in referrence to the kernel. I have tried searching for it in all the usual places and I can't find it either. I have tried using GTKfind to find and still can't find it. Is it possible that the installer simply isn't installing the vmlinuz file? I have tried simply copying the vmlinuz file from my frugal install to the /boot directory on the partition with the Normal install, and then bingo it takes off, but only to kernel panic. So I tried puting an init statement in the Grub menu.lst file for the Normal install configuration, and bingo it takes off again, and no kernel panic this time. I got through the keyboard setup, and through xorgwizard, and got the the kewl shark screen. clicked okay, finished, done, etc... then the screen goes black, the hd spins for about three seconds and stops. Then nothing. Just when I thought I had it.
WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE. I am pulling my hair out. Any help here would be so greatly appreciated, you can't imagine.
-Jason

Béèm

#2 Post by Béèm »

Did you have a look at this already?
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=597
Maybe more detail about your config could help.
As you go a little further what happens if you configure for Xvesa instead of Xorg?
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

can8v

#3 Post by can8v »

Beem
I haven't looked at that in such a very long time. I looked at it about a year ago I think when I first started using Puppy and Linux in general. I went through it extenstively over the last few hours, and I found so many things of interest that were of absolutely no interest to me when I was a complete Linux Newbie. Now that I am almost graduated from Complete Newbie to newbie I found that sticky much more interesting. I learned a ton of things about everything , except what I went there for. I found that all of the links to information pertaining to the subjects of hard drive installs, Grub, etc... was written for version 1.0.1 through 1.9.0. There was some stuff for 2.xx, but not what I was after here. I have not had this problem with any previous version. I did find the links to Red Hats Grub tutorial and the other Grub tutorial pretty helpful, but I had already picked up most of that information from the forum here. I especially appreciate the tips on editing the Grub menu.lst file during the boot process. That will be extremely helpful down the road I am sure. Nevertheless I have spent hours on this and I am no closer to getting this resolve. I am about to give up and go back to version 201, just because it is the latest version I know it works on my system as a Normal hd install.
Thanks for the link though,
-Jason

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

can8v,

with pup2.01 on hda1, the following grub menu.lst entry worked for me:

Code: Select all

title pup1
rootnoverify (hd0,0) 
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd 
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.gz 

can8v

#5 Post by can8v »

muggins wrote:can8v,

with pup2.01 on hda1, the following grub menu.lst entry worked for me:

title pup1
rootnoverify (hd0,0) 
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd 
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.gz 
Muggins,
Was this for frugal install or normal hd install? This looks very similar to what I use for my frugal install. In fact the only differrence is that I leave out the rootnoverify. I will give it a try.
-Jason
Okay I tried and that didn't work either. I think the problem is that the kernel is not getting installed to the /boot directory, using universal installer from 202 or 210. I have tried using the vmilinuz file from the iso but dumps me to a blank screen after xorgwizard completes sucessfully. I am going to try to do a normal install of 201 (the last version that worked for me in normal install mode) then try to upgrade it instead of using a wiping and doing a new install and see if that works, if that works I will report the bug in the universal installer.

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

can8v,

yes you're right...that was for a frugal boot. however i had another look at my menu.lst file &, as i've got puppy on 3 different partitions, rebooted to hda4 & it's a normal, full install of pup2.01.

title pup
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
kernel (hd0,3)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4
this definitely works with my setup, as i just booted it OK.

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

i'm wondering if your grub boots other partitions OK & just has probs with the partition you've put pup2xxx on, or do you only have the one OS on the hard disk.

as grub works OK for me, whenever i try a new pup, i never use the install grub option, preferring to edit menu.lst to reflect the new situation. i remember trying a puppy, several litters ago, and found that if i took grub full install to mbr, it appeared to install grub, but there was some problem, whereas if i used the simple grub install, it worked perfectly.

can8v

#8 Post by can8v »

muggins,
Hey I want to thank you for trying to help me, I am happy to report this is fixed. Not before I lost all of my setting for all of my various puppy distros, and rendered my laptop unbootable, but it is fixed nonetheless. And since I had the good sense to keep all of my data in persistent home folder on a separate partition I didn't loose any data othe than settings, and some dot pups (easily replaced).
The prolem actually had nothing to do with my Grub settings. I just presumed it must be my fault some how, because since I started using Linux about a year ago, whenever things go wrong it is almost always my fault. Anyway this time it was just a bug in the universal installer. The installer actually wasn't installing the kernel something I thought about, I could only find one other post on the forum where someone else had experienced this.
Why does the universal installer do this? Well the installer expects all of the pup_2xx.sfs file, vmlinuz, and the initrd.gz file to be in the same directory. This works great if you are installing from the CD or have the files stored on your hd that way, but if you are like me and have your .sfs and .3fs in the / directory while your vmlinuz and initrd.gz are in the /boot directory, then this is a huge problem. The installer simply tells you to click on one of the files and assumes that you have them all in the same directory. Once I figured this out and moved all of the files to a single directory, then the installer worked like a champ. Maybe a nice big warning screen, with a hand that comes out of the screen and slaps you in the face, and an audio recording that says read this stupid, would have helped me out, but who knows I might have continued down this path. Perhaps the installer should ask the user to browse and select all three required files so the installer would know the location of each even if they are in separate directories. I guess that is one for the bug forum, or maybe not. Maybe it fits better under suggestions.
Who knows.
Jason