Downloading embedded videos from www.ok.ru (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

Downloading embedded videos from www.ok.ru (Solved)

#1 Post by nic007 »

The abovementioned site has a huge archive of uploaded videos, a bit like youtube. I've found many videos deleted from youtube still available there. If one opens a link to a video, the embedded OK Flash Player should start to stream the video. Unlike youtube however, it seems problematic to actually download the video. So far I have only be able to do so using an old Opera browser (version 12). This old browser does not support the newer flashplayer and thus also not the OK embedded Flashplayer. This however is a blessing in disguise because by simply right-clicking in the video window, one can choose to save the contents to disk and thus downloading the file. The only problem I have here is that for some reason this old Browser opens the link in a mobile version of the webpage and I have a suspicion that this is the reason why I am unable to download an HD video in HD quality.

As mentioned, I only have luck with an old Opera browser. When using Palemoon, the video link opens with the OK Flashplayer and starts to stream but I can't find a way to actually download it. Right-clicking gives no downloading options. I can't find the embedded link for the full video in the media info either. I've also downloaded various browser add-ons none of which seem to work on this site.

If anyone has had more luck with downloading from this site, please let us know OR if someone wants to try with another browser let us know.

PS: an easy way to find video links is to google: ok.ru + (what you are looking for).
Last edited by nic007 on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 14:02, edited 3 times in total.

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Not sure if I am looking at the right thing but I tested some random music video off the front page and it downloaded with youtube-dl
Oscar in England

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Oscar, can you select the video quality (and see which resolutions are available)...and are you sure it's from ok.ru and not youtube (sometimes people just link to the youtube video).

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

I'm afraid I am no expert in these matters, youtube-dl is just command line and although I think you can specify resolutions I am not sure how you would know which ones are available in the first place. I copied and pasted the URL which was ok.ru but I suppose it may be possible that this re-directs to youtube without telling you. I know that youtube-dl is supposed to work on lots of other websites though so without further investigation that is all I can tell you at this point in time.
Oscar in England

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

Thanks Oscar. It seems one can actually choose quality etc. I'll need to explore a bit, looks like a handy tool to have.

drunkjedi

#6 Post by drunkjedi »

I have used a browser plugin from site savefrom.net called helper.
It's available for crome, firefox and other browsers too.
It gives download tab near embedded video window.
And that tab has a drop down selection for quality of download.
I can't check for your site as I am away from my PC.
Hope it helps.....

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

drunkjedi wrote:I have used a browser plugin from site savefrom.net called helper.
It's available for crome, firefox and other browsers too.
It gives download tab near embedded video window.
And that tab has a drop down selection for quality of download.
I can't check for your site as I am away from my PC.
Hope it helps.....
Thanks but that does not work for this site. This is really a problematic issue. BTW - Can't get youtube-dl to work with this site either. It only manages to download what it seems like the "header" of the file.

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

Ah, this site works: https://video-download.co/ :D

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Nic.

Just tried d'l-ing one of these in Chrome. I use an extension called 'Video Downloader Professional'.....and this works, absolutely no problem. Just have to make sure you've actually started playing the video, then the button goes 'active'.

It used to be available for Firefox, too, but appears not to have survived the post-FF57 WebExtensions API débacle.... :roll:

Can't you use Chrome extensions in Opera? Or is that only the newer versions of Opera?

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

Revisiting this thread first marked as solved which now seems not the case. https://video-download.co/ still the ONLY thing that works for me but the download is limited to 1GB which ultimately renders it useless for HD downloads.

I've tried the firefox add-on called Video Downloader Professional with Palemoon. Installs fine and on first sight seems to be working BUT the download options range from 1Mb to 4MB (exactly the same problem when using youtube-dl). I'm close to giving up on this.

Here is a link to a video I want to download: https://ok.ru/video/39981615635. The file is 2.5GB big using the HD (720p) setting. Anyone want to try and see if you have better luck?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Doesn't anybody confirm that his posts look like he meant them to? You had a space in that last URL that made your post blank. I removed the space. You're welcome.

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

Thanks, flash. I was wondering what happened but had other things to do so didn't look for errors in the post.

TyroBGinner

#13 Post by TyroBGinner »

That whole site is in cyrillic! Are the russians trying to hack puppy, too? Will they stop at nothing?
Win10 and lovin' it!

nic007

#14 Post by nic007 »

Alright, this site seems to work without any limitations: https://easyload.co/