Xenialpup 7.5 CE black screen blinking line after install

Using applications, configuring, problems
jamespoo

#16 Post by jamespoo »

i plugged back in the usb to load puppy up and it did not start loading a live version of puppy it just loaded grubfordos and i took the usb out and then selected the os so i think grubfordos install on the usb i think this could be the problem

foxpup

#17 Post by foxpup »

When you boot from usb, look on you SSD. You should find a file "grldr" there because you installed a bootloader and grldr is the bootloader for grub4dos. Rename it to "ntldr", shut down, take out your usb and try to boot from SSD.
If I am wright that the mbr of windows is still there, it will find "ntldr" and boot grub4dos!

foxpup

#18 Post by foxpup »

jamespoo wrote:i plugged back in the usb to load puppy up and it did not start loading a live version of puppy it just loaded grubfordos and i took the usb out and then selected the os so i think grubfordos install on the usb i think this could be the problem
Have you changed anything on your usb? Why did you take out the usb? Let it boot the Puppy on your usb.

jamespoo

#19 Post by jamespoo »

foxpup wrote:When you boot from usb, look on you SSD. You should find a file "grldr" there because you installed a bootloader and grldr is the bootloader for grub4dos. Rename it to "ntldr", shut down, take out your usb and try to boot from SSD.
If I am wright that the mbr of windows is still there, it will find "ntldr" and boot grub4dos!
THANKS BOOTING NOW TY thanks for the help ty

also do i have to install the whole xenialpup os again when there is an update or is there a way on the os to check for and install updates or is the os not being updated?

foxpup

#20 Post by foxpup »

EDIT: I got the quote all wrong here. Correction. ;-)
jamespoo wrote:THANKS BOOTING NOW TY thanks for the help ty
Great! You're welcome!
also do i have to install the whole xenialpup os again when there is an update or is there a way on the os to check for and install updates or is the os not being updated?
In Menu>Setup I find Xenialpup updates. You could check that from time to time. But in general Puppy does not need a lot of updating.
If you have a problem, have a look in the thread of the puppy you are using.
There is a lot of developping going on which you can follow more or less on this forum.
I like to look for a new puppy in development to try it out. You get a pretty good idea subscribing to the Puppy Linux Newsletters also.

One tip for newcomers: install Puppy frugally and not full: It is fast, easy, you can do it manually yourself, it is safer and it is the way Puppy is made to be installed.
Last edited by foxpup on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

jamespoo

#21 Post by jamespoo »

foxpup wrote:
jamespoo wrote:
foxpup wrote:THANKS BOOTING NOW TY thanks for the help ty
Great! You're welcome!
In Menu>Setup I find Xenialpup updates. You could check that from time to time. But in general Puppy does not need a lot of updating.
If you have a problem, have a look in the thread of the puppy you are using.
There is a lot of developping going on which you can follow more or less on this forum.
I like to look for a new puppy in development to try it out. You get a pretty good idea subscribing to the Puppy Linux Newsletters also.

One tip for newcomers: install Puppy frugally and not full: It is fast, easy, you can do it manually yourself, it is safer and it is the way Puppy is made to be installed.
thanks