What's with FIDO? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Gordie

What's with FIDO? (Solved)

#1 Post by Gordie »

Hi,
I don't really think that this thread belongs here but where else would it fit?

FIDO has been "experimental" and a warning is displayed advising to not use for-eeeeeever now so what is the deal? I tried it and it works quite well. I can accomplish everything I need to do from FIDO. The best part is no browsers bark at me that they refuse to run in ROOT and so I do not have to mess with workarounds.

Does anyone run as FIDO?

Why or why not?

Cheers
Last edited by Gordie on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Gordie.

I daresay you probably can accomplish all you need to from FIDO.. But don't forget that your daily driver is Slackware; a bog-standard, mainstream Linux distro. You're used to /home, sudo, etc.

Asking the 'faithful' to abandon their normal way of running Puppy is tantamount to saying to them, 'Now, look; you've been a bit of a silly-billy all these years, running as root. It's time to wake up and join the 'real' world...'

Next you'll be telling me Pup's an anachronism.....and has no place in today's world of the big, bad internet, etc.

On top of which a good deal of Pup's basic building-blocks would have to be re-written, to accomodate sudo, etc. And once that's been accomplished, Pup's forever lost its character, and become just another middle-of-the-road lightweight distro. There's hundreds of those out there already...

Y'know, there's an alternate way of looking at things. You could consider that Pup's for those brave, foolhardy souls who like living dangerously...! :lol:

You'll probably turn round and tell me I've already ignored the whole point of your post... As it is, we've already started running browsers as 'spot', 'cos they now won't have it any other way. Fido would be just as easy, of course.

Mike. :wink:

jafadmin

#3 Post by jafadmin »

Puppy was designed, built, and is supported by linux users who want to run as root.

You're asking why people like apple pie instead of pineapple cake.

Gordie

#4 Post by Gordie »

@Mike Walsh
I have taken possession of a free core2 duo desktop that came with 2Gig ram and a 500 Gig hdd. I started by deleting all partions, creating 6 Gig swap partition, formatting ext4 and frugal installs of 8 Puppies that interested me. Now there are only 3 puppies left in my kennel.
Last night I was trying to get Chromium that I installed to run as ROOT in Slacko64 6.9.9.9 so I hide my savefile and rebooted to make a savefile as FIDO and no problem running Chromium now. Got me to thinking rhat that "experimental" statement when you make a savefile has cobwebs on it. Just looking for opinions, not a flame war.

Still need a way to run Chromium as ROOT too

Cheers

jafadmin

#5 Post by jafadmin »

To run Chromium as ROOT:

On mine, in /usr/local/bin you will find the "defaultbrowser" script which starts chromium. You need to add the "--user-data-dir" switch to the exec command like this:

Code: Select all

exec chromium-browser "--user-data-dir" "--enable-extensions" "--allow-outdated-plugins" 
I hope this works for you ..

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

FIDO has been "experimental" because it was never totally worked on to make sure it had no bugs.
It was made to the point it would work, but never fully tested to 100% bug free.

Spot and Fido were in answer to people complaining about running stuff as root.
Barry K put it into Puppy to see how others liked using it and if they found any problems.
Thing is, not too many used it and it never really got fully tested and code tweaked.

With Barry K gone from Puppy.
I am not sure anyone really understands how it works and can tweak the code to fix any bugs.

If it works for you. Use it!
However, if it gives you any problems, good luck correcting them.

This info may help you.
http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/spot?redirect=no
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

No flame war yet. :)

dancytron

#8 Post by dancytron »

jafadmin wrote:To run Chromium as ROOT:

On mine, in /usr/local/bin you will find the "defaultbrowser" script which starts chromium. You need to add the "--user-data-dir" switch to the exec command like this:

exec chromium-browser "--user-data-dir" "--enable-extensions" "--allow-outdated-plugins" 
If that doesn't work, try adding "--no-sandbox" on the end of it.

jafadmin

#9 Post by jafadmin »

Flash wrote:No flame war yet. :)
Have you tried the pineapple cake, hmmmm ..? 8)

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Gordie.
Gordie wrote:Got me to thinking that that "experimental" statement when you make a savefile has cobwebs on it. Just looking for opinions, not a flame war.
Nah, you're OK, mate. Not looking to start one either.

I think bigpup's probably got the right of it. The concept does have 'cobwebs on it', I guess; as far as I can tell, it's been there in Puppy since long before I started with Pup myself. I don't suppose there are too many folks about from those dim, distant days that fully understand the coding that supports it any more.

And I know for a fact that I've never actually tried it out myself. I don't do too much experimenting with that side of things; I'm too busy keeping the 10 Pups I do run operational.....and ticking over like a well-oiled timepiece!

Good idea to bring the subject to the surface for an 'airing', though. Nice to hear other Puppian's views on this one.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

puppyluvr

#11 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I think this was a case of creating an option that had no following.
No one really bug tweaked it because no one really wants to run as a guest user. The majority of Puppy users are quite content to run as Root. I assume most of us don't consider it dangerous. I however certainly find it convenient. In fact I can't stand to run any other way.
Puppy has certainly spoiled me.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Gordie

#12 Post by Gordie »

Thanks for the help but doesn't work. I have been trying --user-data-dir" in many different places now but this advice appears to have been working prior to 2013 but not with the new releases

Cheers

Gordie

#13 Post by Gordie »

bigpup wrote:FIDO has been "experimental" because it was never totally worked on to make sure it had no bugs.
It was made to the point it would work, but never fully tested to 100% bug free.

Spot and Fido were in answer to people complaining about running stuff as root.
Barry K put it into Puppy to see how others liked using it and if they found any problems.
Thing is, not too many used it and it never really got fully tested and code tweaked.

With Barry K gone from Puppy.
I am not sure anyone really understands how it works and can tweak the code to fix any bugs.

If it works for you. Use it!
However, if it gives you any problems, good luck correcting them.

This info may help you.
http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/spot?redirect=no
Thanks. That explains volumes to me

Cheers

dancytron

#14 Post by dancytron »

Gordie wrote:

Thanks for the help but doesn't work. I have been trying --user-data-dir" in many different places now but this advice appears to have been working prior to 2013 but not with the new releases

Cheers
Yes, it now needs"--no-sandbox" .

Gordie

#15 Post by Gordie »

dancytron wrote:

--no-sandbox was close but no cigar. There is a banner at the top of the browser complaining about an unsupported command-line flag. This is not what I am looking for
Last edited by Gordie on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.

kuman11

#16 Post by kuman11 »

bigpup wrote

'With Barry K gone from Puppy'

Is Barry K up to something else?

dancytron

#17 Post by dancytron »

Gordie wrote:
dancytron wrote:

--no-sandbox was close but no cigar. There is a banner at the top of the browser complaining about an unsupported command-line flg. This is not what I am looking for
Add "-disable-infobars"

Either that, or run it as spot.

Gordie

#18 Post by Gordie »

dancytron wrote:
Gordie wrote:
dancytron wrote: If that doesn't work, try adding "--no-sandbox" on the end of it.
--no-sandbox was close but no cigar. There is a banner at the top of the browser complaining about an unsupported command-line flg. This is not what I am looking for
Add "-disable-infobars"

Either that, or run it as spot.
Thanks for the ideas. Actually have tried all those ideas and none of them work. Running as Spot does not work either. Just get an error telling me not to run as root.
Maybe --user-data-dir used to work but I am unable to get it to work now. Running Chromium as FIDO works but not ROOT and not SPOT

spiritwild

#19 Post by spiritwild »

......pineapple cake :lol:

Gordie

#20 Post by Gordie »

It should not make any difference but I took a ready made Slackware package from the 14.1 64-bit repository and installed it. Chromium 56.0.2924.76
There is no problem running it as a USER, just not as ROOT.