Drive Icons missing - how to regenerate them?

Using applications, configuring, problems
ocpaul20

Drive Icons missing - how to regenerate them?

#1 Post by ocpaul20 »

I tried all kinds of search terms "drive and icons", "drive icons" but nothing obvious came up in a title.

I am using Debian Dog but I hope the instructions are the same for Puppy as well. If so, then this is OK here but if it is specific to DD then I guess I need to ask in the long thread for DD.

Anyway, I rebooted and the drive icons were gone along with the Pinboard I was using. That means I get to use the Default Pinboard and missing all my drive icons at the bottom of the screen. Thankfully I had copied the contents of /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer so I think I have the pinboard.

Is there a program I can run to regenerate these drive icons at the base of the screen please?
Or.. can anyone suggest how I can get them back?

Thanks.
Paul
==================
Running DebianDog Jessie Frugal with /live and maybe with changes or savefile or.., who knows?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

If Debian Dog has this.

Try this:
Puppy Event Manager>Desktop Icons>Show Icons

Make it look like this and click OK.
( the default settings for gap, spacing, etc... are OK to use. This image is what I use)
Attachments
capture9216.png
(43.02 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ocpaul20

#3 Post by ocpaul20 »

Thanks for your response.

There is no event manager or anything like it. There is a task manager which may have the program/script I am looking for but I do not know which one to run.

However, since I have booted since all the drive icons disappeared, they would have regenerated themselves already if it was a program which was run automatically at boot time.

I guess it is something which I need to post on the DD thread about.

The good thing is that anyone who runs a Puppy-type can now take the information above and use that to recreate or turn on/off their drive icons.

Thanks for your help, I will run off now and post on the DD thread.
==================
Running DebianDog Jessie Frugal with /live and maybe with changes or savefile or.., who knows?

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

Try to restart your windowmanager, that may fix it.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

ocpaul20

#5 Post by ocpaul20 »

I have rebooted to see if that would sort it out and bring them back but unfortunately, it didn't.

However, there is a solution which was given to me on the DebianDog thread by dancytron for anyone who comes along looking for it. It is here.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 946#981946

Thanks to all who have replied.
==================

tallboy

#6 Post by tallboy »

Rebooting vs. restarting you WM are two different things.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.