Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Oct 2018, 03:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to control the fans in an old PC with Puppy?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Donncha

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 19:50    Post subject:  How to control the fans in an old PC with Puppy?  

Hi Guys
I am back here on the forum after an absence of twelve years! I got driven into a corner by Microsoft and finally traded XP for Windows 10 which IMHO is the daftest and most hateful OS of all time and has driven me irrevocably to Linux. Naturally I chose Puppy as I have Jemimah’s first release of Puppeee installed on a mini laptop, an Asus EEPC 701, which over a decade has kept me in touch with the world in far flung hotel rooms. Still fully functional but forlorn having been superseded by an iPad.
Once I set-up the Asus I never touched the system again and only used it for email and Google so I never got used to the geeky aspects of Linux. LOL Laughing
I have much to learn in my tomorrows but today I am worried to observe that during boot I get a message to say my system is overheating and the fans (CPU or power unit??) stay whizzing at high noisy speed - Windows 98 and XP used to slow them down after a minute or so.
As I don’t want to rip my computer apart I would like to control the fan speed problem before I finally commit myself to Puppy. Can anyone help?

Last edited by Donncha on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 18:37; edited 1 time in total
Donncha

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb 2018, 06:16    Post subject: Correction to this post  

This is the OP to this thread.
The title got changed as i was not clear in my post. it should be HOW TO CONTROL FANS IN A DESKTOP PC [gigabyte motherboard] WITH LUCID PUPPEE.
matchpoint

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb 2018, 09:19    Post subject:    

Long time Donncha, welcome back!

About that "hot under the collar" issue of yours, your Asus may not play well with Lucid's kernel.

My suggestion then, depending on installed RAM and because it's reasonably current, is Puppys`Community Edition Tahr-6.0.5. It offers a nice selection of kernels from which to sort out your fan dilemma. It's also rather well-seasoned at this point.

In fact, I came across this little "thumbs up" from member Mike Walsh that should help sway your decision.

Granted you may have to try a kernel or two, but swapping is far easier than swapping Puppys.

Then again, your Asus would probably "fly" with Slitaz or TinyCore!

It takes a little time to set up, but it's real easy on resources.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb 2018, 11:01    Post subject:  

Quote:
HOW TO CONTROL FANS IN A DESKTOP PC

What exact computer are you talking about with the heat problem?
Make and model?
What exact version of Puppy you trying to use?

Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb 2018, 11:09    Post subject:  

Try going into Menu -> System -> CPU Frequency Tool and changing it from "performance" to "ondemand".
ally

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb 2018, 11:50    Post subject:  

I don't have my puppeee to hand but remember fan control

have a look at the system settings, was there a icon on the taskbar for this?

Smile
Donncha

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb 2018, 16:37    Post subject:  

Thanks to everone for your posts. You have certainly given me enough links and homework to keep me busy for a while!
However the title of my post got amplified by forum moderator from what I posted and whoever did this got it wrong Embarassed . The correct title should have been HOW TO CONTROL FANS IN A DESKTOP PC [gigabyte motherboard] WITH LUCID . The fault was mine and I should not have mentioned in my original post my Asus EEPC. Nor Pupeee. I only did so to show my “brand loyalty” to Puppy Linux! To kill off this confusion I reiterate now that my little Asus Eepc is in semi retirement with Jemimah’s first release of Pupeee and I have no reason to think that any other OS could possibly be better for this little machine. I tried her later releases and other distros and always reverted to her first release.

My problem is with Lucid on a home built desktop with a Gigabyte motherboard (HH-10f7d3bd9490) and 2g RAM. All the fan options on BIOS are enabled and he speed controller worked with Windows but not with Lucid. This was my problem.

I might add that i am a very non geeky person when it comes to Linux having been with DOS and Windows since their earliest days.

I am embarrassed to have created confusion Crying or Very sad
Smithy

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2018, 04:53    Post subject:  

Well now the confusion about the machine is cleared up, shouldn't be too much hassle to get the case off and get a vaccum cleaner hose in there, maybe even redo the thermal paste on the cpu?
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2018, 20:40    Post subject:  

Quote:
Lucid

What exact version of Lucid Puppy?????
There are about 7 different versions!!!!

Have you tried:
Quote:
Try going into Menu -> System -> CPU Frequency Tool and changing it from "performance" to "ondemand".

Donncha

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 14:14    Post subject:  How to Control Fans in an old PC with Lucid Puppy  

Hi Smithy -- Thanks, with the case open i did have a good clean out. Wasnt too bad but it didnt change anything!
Hi Bigpup -- You amaze me! I had thought Lucid was just, well, Lucid! Now I find the distro i loaded has a file called Lupu_528.sfs.
I havnt really used this puppy as i wanted to resolve the fan issue before i do. So I am using a newer PC with Windows 10 which i absolutely HATE with a great hatred. However I need to have this working for certain members of my family who inexplicably like Windows!
I am not married to Puppy - it just so happens I got used to Jemimah's Pupeee and she explained everything in simple non geeky and non linuxy language that i never really learnt much about Linux. I am 88 and really dont need to go back to school. My demands on a system are modest i do quite a lot of email and googling and have no use for other programs.

I hope the title of this thread can be corrected!Smile
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 14:32    Post subject:  

Quote:
I hope the title of this thread can be corrected!

You can change it.
Click on edit in the first post.
Change the subject.

Still need to know what the computer is.
make and model?

If you are trying Puppy in a very new computer.
Best to use Xenialpup 7.5 or Xenialpup64 7.5
Those versions of Puppy have better support for newest hardware.

You never answered this question.
Quote:

Donncha

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 19:32    Post subject:  

Thanks Bigpup
Computer details got lost in verbeage in earlier post. they are
<>My problem is with Lucid on a home built desktop with a Gigabyte motherboard (HH-10f7d3bd9490) and 2g RAM. All the fan options on BIOS are enabled and he speed controller worked with Windows but not with Lucid. This was my problem<>
So I dont think this can be considered a new computer. I bought the motherboard in spain 2013 when lightening fried my old one from 2004.

i have just looked at systems/cpu frequency tool and it is set on nforce2 and i dont see either performance or ondemand Sad

I am an Irishman living in France but my children live nearer to you Cary NC
Wow - 9999 posts Very Happy
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 21:14    Post subject:  

Quote:
i have just looked at systems/cpu frequency tool and it is set on nforce2 and i dont see either performance or ondemand

That may not be the correct Governor.
You should have others you can choose.
With the correct govenor you should be able to get to this window to select how it is used.

Example:
capture7532.png
 Description   
 Filesize   24.91 KB
 Viewed   136 Time(s)

capture7532.png

bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 21:28    Post subject:  

Your computer should be able to work using one of the newer Puppy versions.

Tahrpup 6.0.5
Xenialpup 7.5

To be honest, around the time Lucid Puppy was developed. Fan speed control was not something worked on to be provided.
Probably need to add a program to do it.

I wonder if it even sees and reads the temp sensors on the computer.

In Hardinfo program or Pup-Sysinfo program does it give you any info on the sensors?

musher0

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 22:46    Post subject:  

Hello Donncha.

Welcome back to the kennels! Smile

Forum member rcrsn51 may have something for you on the subject of fans, here.

Edit, 10 min. later :
666philb as well, here

IHTH.

Faithful she began, so will she stay. (Canadian prov.)
Page 1 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: