How to upgrade BIOS of old Samsung laptop?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
puppy_apprentice

How to upgrade BIOS of old Samsung laptop?

#1 Post by puppy_apprentice »

I have problem with my old Samsung laptop. I can't boot to Vista and can't get to bios settings. Fortunately i can boot to Puppy Linux, but after some turn on/of sessions.

Could anybody extract for me all files from this file:
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/supp ... me=NP-R60Y
and make zip archive so i will try to upgrade bios from freedos.

matchpoint

#2 Post by matchpoint »

puppy_apprentice,

The link there doesn't work. The one here does.

Code: Select all

wget http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/FM/200810/20081001143729781_WIN_R60P_09YI_08YJ.exe
If there's anything to be extracted, firmware-extract and its dependencies should be able to do it.

Whose instructions are you going with?

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Why do you think upgrading the bios is going to fix your problem?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

puppy_apprentice

#4 Post by puppy_apprentice »

@matchpoint

I've put link to Samsung page not to file directly, because i wanted to show the source of the file - is not a virus or other malicious software.

Thanks for info about firmware-extract i will try it. I've found app for windows - Universal Extractor - and i will try to use it from Wine.

Thanx for info on priv. I think that i've tried to change something in bios without anything pluged ito usb ports. But i will try again. And i've changed cmos battery.

@bigpup
I've checked laptop with special Linux distro to repair Windows. Hardware test program from this distro give me info that is something wrong with my HDD, else: RAM, PROC etc is good. So i've unpluged HDD and had still problems with booting. My laptop often stuck o those screens:

but sometimes it goes further and boot Puppy from CD and work normal. I can watch movies and listen music and etc. A few times i've lost connection with my usb mouse and usb stick with pupy save files and got this error when was surfing:

Maybe my laptop has problems with voltage? I've checked another power adapter with and without laptop battery and got the same problems. Maybe it is problem with mainboard condenser? One time i've got Bios Chcecksum Error and i can't change anything in bios because it stuck on bios settings too. I don't know if upgrading bios is solution but i will have newer bios in broken laptop ;p

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

Reset your BIOS to default.

Power off, remove A/C Power lead, and the the laptop battery, hold down the power for 30-60 seconds.

Disconnect the hard drive, and the memory, remove the CMOS battery
or just the wires, and leave for at least an hour.

Connect the A/C power again and restart the laptop.
Leave on for a few seconds.

Turn off, re-assemble all and restart.
See if you can get into the bios.
Be careful with handling sensitive parts >> static electricity.
You can ground yourself with most computers by touching the
metal chassis inside the case.

I fixed a Dell bios this way once, and it's still going 5 years later.

Use your phone to photograph any before and after assembly.
Solves any WTF where do I put this moments.

Always post your complete model number helps us all.
The is probably a Youtube video out there to guide you.

Chris.

puppy_apprentice

#6 Post by puppy_apprentice »

Two months earlier when i've noticed the same problem i did everything what u wrote. I've changed cmos battery. Get to bios. Loaded default settings. I had to be quick to push f9 and f10 in bios because laptop hangup after few seconds. I couldn't set clock, i was to slow ;P. Couldn't boot to Vista, but my Slacko helped me. I could boot to Slacko Live CD and set clock from it. When i've rebooted my laptop booted to Vista and everything was good for two months. Now i have the same problem. Now i did the same but without success. So i think that upgrading bios could help. Shame that there is no any tool to do that from Linux. We can use Linux but, when we want to change something in hardware we have to use Win or DOS ;(

Anyway thanks for help.

BTW. I plan to buy AIO (all in one) computer. Does anybody have some experience with that hardware?

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

I would open this computer up and look at all the stuff inside.
All connections.
Clean it out of any dust.
Clean the fan(S)
Look very close for any damage.
Bulging or leaking capacitors.
Etc.....
YaPI(any iso installer)

puppy_apprentice

#8 Post by puppy_apprentice »

I did this. To change this small cmos battery i had to make laptop vivisection. So i cleaned everything two months ago. Now didn't noticed any leaks near capacitors. Even if i could find one i'm not good in precise soldering and in my small town nobody can do this either. I can send this laptop to bigger city to service, but i will pay big money. They want money even for just looking in and transport cost too.

This laptop has 10 years. It is still good for Puppy. Even if i have spent 10-30 minutes to boot to Puppy desktop.

Gordie

#9 Post by Gordie »

I have an old desktop of Windows XP vintage. It began to do bizarre things like when I shut it down it would reboot maybe hours late or when the power flickered. Finallly, the clock didn't hold it's setting so I changed the CMOS battery.
Good as new now.
Try it. You might just be surprised

puppy_apprentice

#10 Post by puppy_apprentice »

I've tried 5 or 10 batteries, produced in Europe, Japan and China. And got the same result. Maybe it is material fatigue or something. It is time for retirement for my Samsung.

puppy_apprentice

#11 Post by puppy_apprentice »

Last week i was reading puppy forum and my laptop started to warm up quite hard (not only near fan nozzle but almost everywhere), it was strange because with Slacko running laptop fan runs very periodically and both processor cores work every time on max 15% and temperature is max 45C.

I've turned off my laptop. After 5-10 minutes when it was colder i turned it on and everything started to work ok. No freezing on BIOS screen. It starts Vista from HD, starts Slacko from USB (earlier i could only start Slacko from CD, but after a few turn on/off sessions).

Very strange. Does anybody have theory what could happen?

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

Old hardware!

Unless it stays at one specific condition and does not change. No way of really knowing what the problem is.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

No point just changing the battery! Need to remove ALL power, including standby (for laptop that means physically remove the battery, too). Then look up the m/board schematic on the InterWeb - you're looking for the BIOS reset jumper(s), sometimes just a pair of solder blobs on pcb needing shorting with a screwdriver. Sometimes even this is insufficient if you have a BIOS protection system in place! Old boards often have a socketted BIOS which can be swapped - for smcBIOS, a custom desoldering adapter can be used to remove it. After that, reassemble and follow all the usual procedures some of which are described above, after reconnecting power, resetting jumper & co.
BUT - get smart - never, ever mix Linux with the devil's OS unless you are either a masochist or a guru. It's dumber than dumb, especially as you can have as much old kit as you need gratis from Freecycle/Boot Sale/ municipal waste tips - everybody wants to give them away, so remember - one box per OS and try to avoid the devil's OS completely.

peterw

Reviving old laptop

#14 Post by peterw »

I have a number of thoughts:

1. I wonder if the hard drive is playing up and as it does so it can cause the problems you are seeing. Check its SMART values to see if they are good.

2. You appear to have done many of the obvious "fixes". I would be tempted to try one more. Joints on motherboards and through plated holes can go intermittently open circuit with age. I would re-flow the solder on the motherboard. It is not so difficult. You have to strip the motherboard of everything you can - including CPU. Then many put the board into an oven at about 220 deg C for about 5 mins and then turn the oven off and let it cool down before removing it. I usually grip the motherboard in a vice and play a very hot air gun at it slowly circling it both sides to melt the solder before letting it cool down.
Since the laptop is useless the way it is then you have nothing to loose by trying this.

Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

very hot air gun
He means a 'paint-stripper' gun - cheap from Screwfix, etc. Very easy to use, manoeuvrable, can do sections at a time and can be used to unmount smc s, esp. the BIOS chip if you're certain this is bad. There's a guy in Cardiff, GB that sells replacements, with socket if required and already flashed to your wishes should you require. Changing to a socketed BIOS is a great idea for keeping old kit on the road, anyway, and can be soldered back using a regular soldering iron.

peterw

Very Hot Air Gun

#16 Post by peterw »

Yes Sage. It is or was a paint stripping gun that is very old but very good for work on pcb's. It is surprising how often a good blast of it on a motherboard works.
Interesting comment about the guy in Cardiff that sells replacement bios chips. Not needed one yet but I will remember this for the occasion if ever I need one.

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

When a board finally gives up, it provides a wealth of spares, including BIOS chips and sometimes their sockets, when fitted. Liberation with the trusty heat gun is often easier than individual removal by soldering iron. The twelve quid SF unit has two settings - 450/600C. 60/40 Sn/Pb solder melts ~370C. Most components easily survive that, but the big MOSTFET regulators might need the 600C setting to release them from the board - not an issue since everything salvaged should be tested before re-use. Personally, I get more fun from the HW than struggling to get the SW working!

8Geee

#18 Post by 8Geee »

Well if you want one last tip...
The actual CPU has a bit of silicone/cereamic to transfeer heat to the metal heat-sink. If that silicone ceramic paste fails due to age, crazy stuff happens.

In a desktop, this is easier, just a spec of Arctic Silver 5 or 7 on the CPU, and clamp the heat-sink back down.

In a lappy, this is difficult due to tight fit of all the parts. It may not be worth it.

Just a thought
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Burn_IT

#19 Post by Burn_IT »

In a lappy, this is difficult due to tight fit of all the parts. It may not be worth it.
It can be.
I bought the laptop I'm typing this on from ebay at a ridiculously low price because it was overheating.
A quick clean of the cooling systems and a change to the correct settings in the BIOS and it ran cool enough to let me put a faster cpu in it and it now only gets hot when under heavy load.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Sage

#20 Post by Sage »

laptop ...from ebay at a ridiculously low price
Better option for these (and dud/dying laptop gifts folks try to force on me!) is to remove from its naff plastic encasing, fit into regular desktop case. Trivial to make up a few lugs to attach and to intercept the 5/12V bus lines. The screen is gonna break if not already. Missing/faulty keys and touchpads eliminated via the USB port which can be extended with a simple hub. Bingo - got a proper PC, with reliable cooling, easy battery access, etc. Elementary DIY - will last until the next few HW iteractions, even longer with the remaining 32bit offerings.