Brave browser pet?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
EdD

Brave browser pet?

#1 Post by EdD »

Has anyone made a Brave browser pet? There seems to be a Linux version of the browser and I would like to try it on the Slacko 6 version that I'm running.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Are you running 64bit? Brave does not appear to be available for 32bit.
Latest release of stable Brave is version 0.19.147
The 64bit .deb can be fairly easily repackaged as .pet and it starts and runs in Xenial64 as root with the --no-sandbox argument or using run-as-spot if you prefer.
In Slacko64 6.3.0 you run into some problems because it needs gtk+3 and the nss libraries are too old.
Oscar in England

oui

#3 Post by oui »

The English pages on brave browser seem the be really very tolerant or a little more concerning brave browser seeming not to be brave at all!

pls see also:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_%28Browser%29,
item Kritik, yes correct, Kritik!

or

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_%28 ... eur_web%29

the English Wikipedia page seems to be really devot, a "carpet" for the influent people! What is today the validity of wikipedia?

woodymnt

#4 Post by woodymnt »

Brave is a web browser that aims to protect the privacy of those who use it by various means such as blocking trackers or by preferring HTTPS pages with HTTPS Everywhere extension. It defines itself as faster than 60% on computers and 300% on smartphones. This greater speed is due to the elements that it does not charge (trackers and advertising) 3,4.

The browser claims to want to protect privacy, however, it has Google as the default search engine and not a search engine that wants to protect privacy such as DuckDuckGo or Qwant.

The browser is available on Windows, OS X and Linux but also on smartphones5.

The browser is built from Chromium, the open source Google Chrome3.
I'm sold. Is there a deb for it that's Slacko friendly?

mikeslr

Pet packages? We don't need no Pet packages!

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi EdD,

A pet package isn't necessary. Just download a package from here, https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop ... Install.md unpacked it, and run it by clicking the binary. Sort-of like portable programs under Windows. That's the way I've run it under "Ubuntu-based" puppies.

According to this, https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175587001/ either the rpm (opensuse) or tar.bz (raw binary) packages will run under Slackware. So, should run under Slacko64.

The instructions call for using wget to obtain packages. Wget can be installed in Slacko if not already present. As it may be present without a menu-listing, try cutting and pasting the wget line in a terminal. Alternative uget?

When possible, I like to keep applications out of "Puppy Space", i.e., SaveFile/Folder. That way the application is available for two or more Puppies, and remains available even if I change Puppies. So mine was extracted in a folder on /mnt/home. Also, when not in use, an external application uses less than 1Mb of RAM; none if you don't create a Menu entry. But, if you prefer, you could unpack it in /opt.

You'll find detailed instructions here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 532#507532 on how to add an external application to your menu. Don't let the length of that post intimidate you. It's actually very easy. (1) Somewhere on "the Path" --any /bin or /sbin folder, including /root/my-applications/bin-- you create a bash-script [Right-click>New>Script], then open it in a text editor and add one line pointing to the executable. [See above post for examples]. (2) Copy an appropriate icon to some place where Puppy keeps icons, such as /usr/share/icons. (3) Create a "desktop" file at /usr/share/applications. Again, this is done using a text editor and see above post for examples. Beyond its name, there are only three important arguments in the desktop file: (a) Exec= is followed by the exact location and name of the bash-script you created; (b) Icon= is followed by the exact location and name of your icon; and (c) Category= is followed by a category Puppy recognizes. Open any other browser.desktop in a text editor for an example. The whole process will take you maybe 5 minutes. But, first make sure that BraveBrowser runs by left-clicking its executable. If it doesn't run, use Menu>Utilities>ListDD to see if any libraries are needed.

mikesLr

EdD

#6 Post by EdD »

Thanks, Mike. I've been around here for awhile, and had learned a few things, but I was in a car crash and got a head injury,and also lost much use of my left arm and leg. I don't remember some things and have trouble with the keyboard as well, so clicking is easier for me.

I'm kind of stuck using pets for now.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

Max Headroom

#7 Post by Max Headroom »

I can't get Brave Browser installed on LXQtPup-18.12T-K64-UEFi ( Slackware Based ), Frugal installed on Dell Latitude E6400 w/ 4 Gb RAMemory, & 2.53 GHz intel Core2 Duo, it's my 9 year old Daughters Preferred Browser.

I've Spent hOurs & hOurs Reading & Trying 2 Figure this Out... I wish there were an Appimage or a pet or sfs package.

Please Help & Thanx...

;-\K
PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!