Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 23 Feb 2018, 01:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
drive mounted read only
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
Author Message
jgf

Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan 2018, 13:54    Post subject:  drive mounted read only  

Have a win7 system with malware which has been resistant to Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Loaris, and a couple of others (they do not even detect it). I know which files are the issue since they appear in task manager with gibberish names (lsrkngc.exe, usigvkw.exe, etc.; several instances of msirblu.exe are running at any given time) and pop "access denied" at any attempt to manipulate them, even just opening the folder containing them (except for one in the system32 folder). Restore points are blocked and any attempt to create bootable media results in corrupted files. (FWIW I cannot see what these files do beyond hogging hundreds of meg of RAM and often over 50% cpu time, they seem more active when the browser is running, but otherwise the system works fine.)

I created a bootable usb with Puppy 4.3.1 (which has worked well on CD in the past) on another computer and it works to boot the infected system, but I get a red window about "the NTFS-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS partition ..... the inbuilt kernel driver has been used to mount the partition read-only". Obviously this is no help, I can see the files but not delete them.

So, what to do now? I am not at all familiar with Linux/Puppy but can follow instructions (dealing with computers since the days of TTY terminals).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ally


Joined: 19 May 2012
Posts: 1740
Location: lincoln, uk

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan 2018, 14:06    Post subject:  

hey jgf

you might have to try a more recent puppy

tahrpup is a good stable offering

https://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr64-6.0.6-uefi.iso

also see here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651

http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_PupRescue

Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
musher0


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 11702
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan 2018, 14:07    Post subject:  

Hello jgf.

I'm not an expert in these disk-mounting things, but I got a similar message the other
day from fsck trying to check a sane ext? partition, running it from uPupRaring. As you
know, one has to unmount a partition to run fsck on it. It said to use an updated utility.

My point is:
Would you get the same message if you tried the same procedure from a more
recent Pup? E.g., TahrPup, Slacko-7, XenialPup, StretchPup, or ArtfulPup.

Just a thought. Best of luck.

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"Logical entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity." | |
« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
musher0


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 11702
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan 2018, 14:11    Post subject:  

ally wrote:
hey jgf

you might have to try a more recent puppy

tahrpup is a good stable offering

https://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr64-6.0.6-uefi.iso

also see here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651

http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_PupRescue

Smile

Hello ally and jgf.

Yeah, it's coming back to me now: in earlier versions of Puppy, our NTFS utility
could only do reads; it could not read and write. Whereas it can read and write on
recent Pups.

IHTH.

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"Logical entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity." | |
« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jgf

Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan 2018, 15:34    Post subject:  

Thanks for the input; downloading tahrpup now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2274
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan 2018, 19:19    Post subject:  

It happens very rarely using anything older than Tahr (don't think I have seen this using Tahr). More concerning to me is how Puppy handles ntfs filesystems in general. Generally speaking, reading from ntfs filesystems seems okay but writing to it is another story. I have had numerous instances where moving and deleting files on a ntfs filesystem running Puppy, have resulted in "corrupting" the filesystem. In fact, it happens (seldomly but nevertheless) that booting that filesystem with Windows afterwards requires checkdisk to be run in order to rectify errors (Windows reports errors to the filesystem). So, take caution when working with an ntfs filesystem when using Puppy as you may lose data!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jafadmin

Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Posts: 719

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan 2018, 21:59    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
It happens very rarely using anything older than Tahr (don't think I have seen this using Tahr). More concerning to me is how Puppy handles ntfs filesystems in general. Generally speaking, reading from ntfs filesystems seems okay but writing to it is another story. I have had numerous instances where moving and deleting files on a ntfs filesystem running Puppy, have resulted in "corrupting" the filesystem. In fact, it happens (seldomly but nevertheless) that booting that filesystem with Windows afterwards requires checkdisk to be run in order to rectify errors (Windows reports errors to the filesystem). So, take caution when working with an ntfs filesystem when using Puppy as you may lose data!!!


I think it has to do with the difference in how Windows/NTFS and Linux handle disk buffering and syncing.

I have to always make sure and perform a "sync" command after modifying a ntfs partition.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jgf

Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan 2018, 21:39    Post subject:  

Still no joy.

Full message is:

"The NTFS-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS partition and returned this error message:

Failed to write lock 'dev/sda2': Resource temporarily unavailable.
Error opening 'dev/sda2': Resource temporarily unavailable.
Failed to mount 'dev/sda2': Resource temporarily unavailable.

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used to mount the partition read-only."

Do not know if this is an issue with my system or if the malware (now identified as vmxclient) is blocking access. (Working with bleepingcomputer.com to see if we can kick this.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Gordie

Joined: 23 Aug 2016
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan 2018, 21:52    Post subject:  

There is lots of help to remove vmxclient adware. Try Duck Duck Go search
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ally


Joined: 19 May 2012
Posts: 1740
Location: lincoln, uk

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan 2018, 22:41    Post subject:  

I had a similar problem once, not an ntfs but read only

I was able to resolve by running check disk via gparted

Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
KuLuSz


Joined: 13 Dec 2017
Posts: 14
Location: HuNgArY

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 03:04    Post subject:  

jgf wrote:
Still no joy.

Full message is:

"The NTFS-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS partition and returned this error message:

Failed to write lock 'dev/sda2': Resource temporarily unavailable.
Error opening 'dev/sda2': Resource temporarily unavailable.
Failed to mount 'dev/sda2': Resource temporarily unavailable.

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used to mount the partition read-only."

Do not know if this is an issue with my system or if the malware (now identified as vmxclient) is blocking access. (Working with bleepingcomputer.com to see if we can kick this.)

This error message usualy come when target folder is not empty when u mount the current "/dev/sda2/" drive ... check the /mnt/sda2/ directory , need deleting all file, if dir is not mounted, but there is any file, then u need reboot , and get read-write partition .

_________________
-<(].K.u.L.u.S.z.[)>-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0514s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0112s) ][ GZIP on ]