Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Nov 2019, 03:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Howto make permanent USB mount points with "udev"
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
jafadmin

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb 2018, 17:46    Post subject:  

@GG

Switch to the wizard. The first one is just a demo that shows proof of concept.

Read the README ..

I am not aware of name length restrictions on devices. You might just be afflicted by voodoo at your outpost ..
jafadmin

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb 2018, 22:56    Post subject:  

TyroBGinner wrote:
there any way to modify this utility so that drive uniqueness can be preserved with fanout devices like usb hubs and multi-drive HDD "docks"? I gather that is a lot to ask since the udev rules seem to correspond to the device immediately in contact with the computer's usb connection.

It works with USB hubs as long as you plug them in one at a time to create the initial ".rules" file. After that you can plug a bunch into the hub and they seem to mount ok. Anyways, they do for me. I can get two identical Sandisk Cruisers to work right in a hub.

I may spend some time later working with the udevadm info dumps to try to tweak that.

As far as the HD cradles are concerned, one would have to do a bunch more research on how to grab those. Maybe grab events from dmesg or something ..
gychang

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2019, 13:04    Post subject: Re: Howto make permanent USB mount points with "udev"
Subject description: Hotplugging, suspending, power loss, accidental disconnects, and reboots handled gracefully

jafadmin wrote:

Now just plug in the USB disk you want to use for this, then open a console in /root/bin and type: "./mkrule /dev/sdX" (where X is your usb device). This will create the udev rule and put it where it needs to go.

At this point all partitions on your USB disk should be mounted at: /MyUSB

From now on, that, and only that USB disk, will always mount as /MyUSB/MyUSB-1, /MyUSB/MyUSB-2, etc ..

Drag a link to /MyUSB to your desktop.

Prosper.

That is all.

On my Bionipup64, after typing in the command ./mkrule /dev/sdg there is no error but no /MyUSB directory is created.

What am I doing wrong?

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2019, 14:42    Post subject:  

gychang wrote:
On my Bionipup64, after typing in the command ./mkrule /dev/sdg there is no error but no /MyUSB directory is created.

What am I doing wrong?

Greg:-

You're not looking for a /MyUSB 'directory', as such. What you're looking for is a 'mount-point'.....and you won't find it in /root.

IF 'MyUSB' is the name you've used for your drive (it's really just an example - you could use any name you like), then you should see it by doing the following.

In ROX's /root 'window', click on the upward-pointing arrow at the far left end of the menu bar - this'll take you up a level into the main file-system. You should see MyUSB alongside /root, /var, /lib, /bin, /usr, etc.

The instructions for this are a wee bit misleading, unfortunately. There's no /root/bin directory. What you're looking for is the /root/udev directory. Like this:-

Click on that to open it:-

Mine has 3 files; the middle one is my personal 'mount-point'. It's a Seagate Expansion Desktop drive, so I've named it SeaDesk. You should only see the two outside ones, because the 3rd one won't exist until you've run the command in the terminal.

After you've done that, you should then see the new 'mount-point' alongside the other system files, under '/'. Like this:-

I've dressed it up with a drive icon, to make it more obvious what it is. From this point on, this drive will always mount to the new mount-point that you've just created.

Mike. Wink

gychang

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2019, 15:35    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
gychang wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Greg:-

You're not looking for a /MyUSB 'directory', as such. What you're looking for is a 'mount-point'.....and you won't find it in /root.

IF 'MyUSB' is the name you've used for your drive (it's really just an example - you could use any name you like), then you should see it by doing the following.

Mike. Wink

MIke I really appreciate your effort, now working fine.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2019, 18:13    Post subject:  

The device naming lottery can be a pain when some hard code device names into scripts and the kernel decides that after another reboot to swap those names all around. Personally I tend to manually mount things

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb

where usually I use fdisk -l to quickly review devices

In some cases I do script based mounting and when so I tend to include a identity file on devices, where the script loops through mounting things and looking for a particular unique filename that I've pre-created on that device, and when found it creates a /mnt/xxx folder and mounts the device to that mount point.

Other approaches are to use UUID, or device label (disk label), or device name. For instance in gparted there's a option to set a partitions label and once you've done that, such as setting a usb with a single partition to have a label of 'whiteusb' (perhaps for a white coloured usb stick), then you can mount that using

mkdir /mnt/whiteusb
mount -L whiteusb /mnt/whiteusb

If you use that consistently, then your scripts can reference that reliably

cd /mnt/whiteusb
.... etc.

Mount points don't have to be under the /mnt folder. You could for instance mount it to a folder within /root

mkdir /root/whiteusb
mount -L whiteusb /root/whiteusb

To umount when done ... umount /root/whiteusb

Labels are nice in that they remain consistent, under certain conditions for instance UUID's can change.

/etc/fstab is the list of devices that get mounted at bootup. For mounting using labels the format is something like

LABEL=whiteusb /mnt/whiteusb ext3 defaults 0 0

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: