Slow browsing, email in 64-bit puppies

Using applications, configuring, problems
ravensrest

Slow browsing, email in 64-bit puppies

#1 Post by ravensrest »

I do not understand what is happening. Seamonkey 2.22 in Racy 5 is blindingly fast. Seamonkey-portable 2.48 is reasonably fast in Precise 571. But I have tried Palemoon, Firefox, Google-chrome, and Thunderbird in both 64-bit Tahrpup 606 and 64-bit Xenialpup 75. They are agonizingly slow, so slow I have gone back to Precise 571 as my routine operating system. What is happening. Aren't 64 bit systems supposed to enhance speed? I need 64 bits to run Cura and a couple of 3d drawing programs, and there is no problem doing so with either Tahrpup or Xenialpup.Speed problem only occurs when dealing with the communications programs mentioned.

My system is Intel Pentium 4 at 2.66GHz with 2 gigs of memory (about 200-400 megs typically being used). Charter cable with 60mbps download and 5 mbps upload, Netgear R6300 smart router, wired connection to my computer.

Any help will certainly be appreciated.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Intel Pentium 4 at 2.66GHz
If this is one that is 64 bit capable.
It probably has the very basic capabilities of 64 bit.
This was the very beginning of having 64 bit processors.

Try some 32 bit versions of Xenialpup, Tahrpup, Slacko.

Sure your Charter connection speed is good?
I test mine by using this web site.
http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

Are you talking about E-mail from the Charter E-mail service?
charter.net?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

Things have become more complex, and browsers are also more complex. They do not do just browsing... they are trying to be an OS sdd-on. Puppy can do, and has installed, much of what a browser contains, yet the browser calls upon its own version. This makes browsers bulky, slow, and in need of more updates/replacements. Thats just business in the late 20th/early 21st Century. In short IMHO the end-user is being treated exactly like a drug-user./MHO

I have found older is faster and better for all general purpose browsing, including YouTube. I would hesitate to use old stuff at FB or Twit, or most Social-Nets. Not that these were EVER safe places to be at/in.

The webpages of today are not just html/JS, there is a lot of proprietary stuff that needs marketing, a lot of ads, and other junk-programming installed. Forced mini-movie-clips are the newest rage, ram this vid down your throat at your expense of connection. How F'ing arrogant. And it slows down the webpage experience. /Rant

Really, the only thing your system needs to stay capable today is Seamonkey 2.25 or FF27. Do just the minimum, and I think you will be happy.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."