Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Jul 2019, 02:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
I deleted all thumbnails, How to get them back?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 7 [97 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2018, 18:22    Post subject:  

Well, I'm back. So let's get started.

lolo69, as I've stated in previous posts, "I'm not a Tekky". The best way of describing what I can and can't do is to think of me as a kid with an erector set with tools, who uses the pieces and tools to put things together. And in order to do that, I have to visualize where the pieces and tools are. In order for me to do that on your system, you have to serve as my "eyes", at least until I can visualize your system by myself.

Before we delete the broken Full install of Tahrpup, I want to make certain that in doing so we don't also delete both Arcade and/or the Frugal install of Tahrpup. I also want to know that where grub4dos is located so that if we reformat the partition it is on we re-create it before shutting down/rebooting.

So the first things I need to know are, how many partitions? What are their "names"? On which partition has grub4dos been installed? On which partition is Arcade installed? On which partition are the files used by your Frugal Install of Tahrpup? and how are each of those partitions formatted?

My best guesses at this point is that you have two partitions. If so, when you boot into Arcade or Tahr2, there should appear two desktop-drive-icons just above the Taskbar. Are there any other desktop-drive-icons? Are the labels of those two icons labeled sda1 and sda2? Something else? If more than two, what are the labels of the other(s)?

When you boot up a Puppy, initially only the partition it is on is mounted. That is reflected by an "x" in the top right corner of a desktop icon. What is the label of the icon when you boot into Arcade? into Tahr2?

If Arcade and Tahr2 (the frugal install) are, as I expect, on what I think is sda1, and that is also where grub2 is located than there will be fewer steps to restructuring. If not, there will be a couple more.

If you have any doubts as to how to answer any of these questions, left-click 'sda1', take a screenshot of the window which opens. You may have to resize either or both the window or the screenshot. Then attach it to or as your response.

mikesLr
lolo69

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2018, 20:07    Post subject:  

Well i'm gonna show you how my hdd is structured.

First, I have a sda1 partition file system ntfs (Here i save the savefiles of the
frugal tahr, i save personal data, and there is located grub4dos).

Second, a extended partition, the sda2, with the "boot" flag; It's split into 3:

-sda5:(idk y, it skips 3 and 4) 2gb of linux-swap (is this needed?, the "used" and "unused" memory is in blank)

-sda6: Here i have fully installed arcade and frugally tahr. file system ext2

-sda7: The last one, also ext2 here is located the broken tahr.

Ergo, my desktop shows sda1, sda6 and sda7.

I made this with no knowledge about partitions, is it bad?
lolo69

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2018, 20:14    Post subject:  

If i have a partition where there is only a frugal puppy within the only one folder, does it works even without an os?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan 2018, 21:56    Post subject:  

Hi lolo69,

First answering the easy questions. Does there have to be an OS other than (Tahr) Puppy on a partition? No. Remember Puppy was designed to run from a CD/DVD. There are fans running Puppies that way whose computers don't even have a working hard-drive. All a Frugal install does is place the files which would have been on the CD onto the hard-drive. So all any Puppy needs is its files and a bootloader that will find them.

Swapfiles: I don't know/recall how much RAM your computer has. Swapfiles/partitions can't hurt. The worse that can happen is they never get used and just sit there occupying space on your hard-drive. I think the minimum RAM requirements for Tahrpup are either 512 Mbs or 768 Mbs, but for satisfactory performance you really need 1 Gb. The more RAM, the better your system will perform: the more Web-browser windows/tabs you can have open at one time; the more applications you can run simultaneously. A SwapFile/partition operates 10 or more times SLOWER than RAM. But when RAM gets full the system will automatically transfer files in and out of Swap. With RAM (near to) full and NO swap, the system slows to a crawl or crashes. So even with 1 Mb of RAM, 2 Gbs of Swap can, on occasion, serve a useful purpose.

The way your hard-drive is currently set up the easiest way forward would be:

1. Open Menu>System>gparted. You'll see a line beginning with /dev/sda7. Right-Click it and select Format to Ext3. Select Apply. Then Exit gparted. [Reformatting will have cleared your broken Tahr from you computer].
2. When you next click on the sda7 desktop-drive icon, it will open to a blank window. [Well there may be one folder named “Lost and Found”. You can Right-Click and select Delete].
3. Right-Click an empty space and give it a name. I'll refer to it as tahr3 hereafter. Left-click to open it.
4. Open a second file-manager window into your tahr folder on sda6. Drag each of the files from that folder into /sda7/tahr3: initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy_tahr_xxx.sfs and zdrv_tahr_xxx.sfs. Select Copy.
5. Re-run Menu>System>grub4dos. It will again create menu.lst(ing) for all your operating systems, which will now be Arcade, tahr2 on sda6 and tahr3 on sda7.
6. Grub4dos will ask if you want to edit Menu.lst. Select Yes. Geany will open it. Scroll to the listing for tahr3. Scroll to the line which reads something like:
kernel /tahr3/vmlinuz psubdir=tahr3 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
and edit it to read:
kernel /tahr3/vmlinuz psubdir=tahr3 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck;ram ## bolding only for emphasis – don't actually bold
Those edits do the following: ram tells puppy not to use any SaveFile. That will later allow you to move the SaveFile from sda1 into the tahr folder on sda7. Changing atahd to ataflash “tricks” Puppies into thinking they are being run from a USB-Flash drive. And that enables you to turn off the Automatic Save.
7. Reboot. Select the listing for Tahrpup on sda7. If it opens to “First Run/Setup” -IFWIC'd-- everything has gone well. You can open sda1 and move the SaveFile into the tahr3 folder, then open sda6, delete your tahr2 folder, re-run grub4dos to remove that listing; or just open /sda1/menu.lst in geany and edit out that listing. Or to keep both versions of tahrpup, you can just copy the SaveFile from sda1 into /sda7/tahr3. But in any event, you'll want to edit Menu.lst in order to remove the “;ram” that you previously added. Reboot.

The next time you boot into tahrpup on /sda7, you should see an icon on your desktop with the label “Save”. You can click it anytime you want to Save changes to your system. However, open Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager, and click the Save Sessions Tab. Change the value in the “Save Interval” box to Zero “0”. Click the Save Icon (on the desktop) to preserve that change.

This post provides information about the benefits, draw-backs, and workarounds to draw-backs of having removed the Automatic Save. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=974066#974066. At a minimum, I recommend following the instructions for moving the 'my-documents' folder to /mnt/home.

But, if your not in a hurry, there are some peculiarities about how your hard-drive is set up which might be worth examining, possibly fixing. Although grub4dos can work without being on the partition flagged as 'boot' on occasion that can present a problem. So, you may want to open gparted, right-click the sda1 listing, select “Manage Flags” and check the “boot” box. There can only be one 'boot' partition, so that will remove the boot flag from sda2.

I'm not sure how your SaveFile ended up on sda1 when your current Frugal tahr is on sda6. I think if you look into /sda6/tahr2 you'll see a file which serves as a marker which instructs THAT tahr on bootup to look for the SaveFile on sda1. If you're going to keep that Tahr, then sometime while not using it, you can move the SaveFile into that tharpup's folder and delete the marker. Finally, edit the same line on that tahrpup's schema on menu,lst, Assuming it is in a folder named 'tahr2" the line would read:

kernel /tahr2/vmlinuz psubdir=tahr2 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck

But why do you have two partitions which don't show up? How much of your hard-drive space is being wasted by them? Can you open gparted, take a screenshot and post it?

mikesLr

By the way, the argument "psubdir=" tells Puppy where to look first for a SaveFile/Folder, speeding up booting. But it will look elsewhere if it doesn't find it where you've told it to look first. What you don't want happening when you have two or more versions of the same Puppy is (a) halting bootup until you tell it which SaveFile/Folder to use or, worse, (b) automatically loading the wrong SaveFile.

Linux Ext3 less prone to corruption but use a little more space/resources than Ext2. Let's worry about your Arcade on a Linux Ext2 partition another time.
lolo69

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:08    Post subject:  

I deleted all thumbnails, How to get them back?

We ended doing everything but recovering my thumbnails... correction, recovering my puppy.

After all i'm glad i realized frugal install fits me more than full, that's quite good.

I thought sfs-s (IDK how to pluralize it) were a headache with all that sh*t of
permanent install. Now i love them.

Back to the recent matter, Tahr3 succesfully installed into sda7, Everything nice.

You asked why i have my savefiles in sda1, there i have a "protect" folder, as you suggested, where i save the savefiles
the save file i actually use is of course in tahr3 folder, i just copy it to sda1 because of backups and stuff.

Now, i have ataflash written in menu.lst so i'll read your post about it before shutting down, jeje.

you also asked:
Quote:
But why do you have two partitions which don't show up? How much of your hard-drive space is being wasted by them? Can you open gparted, take a screenshot and post it?

Apparently it does not use a single bit:

Well, i think i have nothing else to ask, if you want to ask me something else i'll answer, but if not i think that this is the end of this.

regarding the puppy arcade, i decide to replace it with another FRUGAL puppy.

Thanks man! Very Happy
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:46    Post subject:  

The partitioning numbering is correct for how you did the partitions.

In an msdos partition table you seem to be using.

1 - 4 is reserved for primary partitions and extended partition.

You have an extended partition at sda2.

All the other partitions are in that extended partition.

Partitions in an extended partition numbering start from number 5.

If all you wanted was 4 usable partitions.
You could have done 4 primary partitions and make one a swap. It would be number 1, 2, 3, 4.

Last edited by bigpup on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 11:02; edited 1 time in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:58    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:

1 - 4 is reserved for primary partitions and extended partition.
Emphasis added.

Thanks, bigpup. I didn't know that. But when you can only have 4 primary or extended partitions reserving the numbers 1 thru 4 for them makes for a system more easily managed than if the numbers of primary and extended partitions varied.

mikesLr
Page 7 of 7 [97 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: