I deleted all thumbnails, How to get them back?

Using applications, configuring, problems
musher0

#46 Post by musher0 »

That depends. What kind of PC do you have?
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

foxpup

#47 Post by foxpup »

Choices in /root/, is that something like that too?
And how about the programs not working?

foxpup

#48 Post by foxpup »

Dare I say it?
Read the third post on this topic from Mike. It is golden. Go the real puppy way (frugal, save and with sfs) and you will prosper.

I read a bit about bleachbit too: it scares me and my Puppies. It discards, wipes, deletes, shreds, it hides traces of files deleted and it vacuums firefox. It is really frightning. What good is all that? I used to do things like that on windows, except XP, but I don't like windows, except XP. ;-)

MochiMoppel

#49 Post by MochiMoppel »

foxpup wrote:Just another little test: if you click on a triangel on your desktop, does the application start?
It should because it is just a link to the .desktop in /usr/share/applications.
No, they are not links to the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications. This explains why he can still start application by clicking on a .desktop file but not by clicking on a ROX desktop shortcut.

@lolo69 Did you read my post?

musher0

#50 Post by musher0 »

By the way, maybe contact the people at BleachBit about your problem.

It it is not the 1st time this problem is reported to them, they might have suggestions
about repair.

Just a thought.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Sailor Enceladus

#51 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

lolo69 wrote:
Type the gdk-pixbuf...etc. line in a console and hit Enter.
What happens?

Code: Select all

root# gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache
Failed to create file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache.KO2JCZ': No such file or directory
This.
I think this is the problem. Do you still have this directory? It sounds like BleachBit deleted it?

I tried the command in Slacko and it worked for me (but mine saved it somewhere else, or i386-linux-gnu might be a symlink).
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(24.55 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

foxpup

#52 Post by foxpup »

MochiMoppel wrote:
foxpup wrote:It should because it is just a link to the .desktop in /usr/share/applications.
No, they are not links to the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications. This explains why he can still start application by clicking on a .desktop file but not by clicking on a ROX desktop shortcut.
Thank you! You are right: they are defined/described in some file(s), right? The one you named in your post : PuppyPin.

musher0

#53 Post by musher0 »

Sailor Enceladus said:
(...) or i386-linux-gnu might be a symlink).
In all recent Puppies, it is.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

lolo69

#54 Post by lolo69 »

musher0
That depends. What kind of PC do you have?
Motherboard: 915P-ICH6
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Ram Memory: 512mb

This?

foxpup
Please be more specific.
Read the third post on this topic from Mike. It is golden. Go the real puppy way (frugal, save and with sfs) and you will prosper.
Again more especific, exactly what do you want me to try?

MochiMoppel
Yes, i did. But look at this: Running VLC by its .desktop file works, by its menu entry works, by its terminal code works, chrome doesn't do it in any of them, i believe the .desktops are not the problem.

Sailor Enceladus
I think this is the problem. Do you still have this directory? It sounds like BleachBit deleted it?

I found this.
Last edited by lolo69 on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

foxpup

#55 Post by foxpup »

On 64bit it is under /usr/lib64/gdk-... of course

lolo69

#56 Post by lolo69 »

mine is 32bits

foxpup

#57 Post by foxpup »

lolo69 wrote:
Please be more specific.
I was wondering why and how come, the difference between desktop and .desktop. MochiMoppel already gave some explanation.
You don't have to try anything. That was just advice to install and use Puppy like Mike explains.

lolo69

#58 Post by lolo69 »

foxpup wrote:
lolo69 wrote:
Please be more specific.
I was wondering why and how come, the difference between desktop and .desktop. MochiMoppel already gave some explanation.
You don't have to try anything. That was just advice to install and use Puppy like Mike explains.
Programs not working? this is my answer:

I think programs not working is because of the lack of data that bleachbit caused, not because links and stuff if not because programs cant work well because there is a big amount of files(images all of them) that they cant read.

MochiMoppel

#59 Post by MochiMoppel »

lolo69 wrote:
Yes, i did. But look at this: Running VLC by its .desktop file works, by its menu entry works, by its terminal code works, chrome doesn't do it in any of them, i believe the .desktops are not the problem.
I never said that ".desktops" are the problem (if by that you mean .desktop files). What I'm trying to say is that you may have a link problem. Now please do me a favor and check any of the triangle desktop shortcuts that do not work: Right click => Edit item. The first entry in the dialog shows you the full path to your application. Are you sure that this path is still valid? Does that path work when you copy it to a terminal and press Enter?

Also please answer my very first question: What happens when you reboot?

lolo69

#60 Post by lolo69 »

MochiMoppel wrote:
lolo69 wrote:
I never said that ".desktops" are the problem (if by that you mean .desktop files). What I'm trying to say is that you may have a link problem. Now please do me a favor and check any of the triangle desktop shortcuts that do not work: Right click => Edit item. The first entry in the dialog shows you the full path to your application. Are you sure that this path is still valid? Does that path work when you copy it to a terminal and press Enter?
None of them work neither the ones that work clicking on them nor the ones that not.

root# /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop
bash: /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop: Permission denied
That happens when you try to use the path, but clicking on it, it works

root# palemoon
Doing that also works.

root# /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop
bash: /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop: Permission denied
When i try with the chrome path the same, by clicking on it nothing happens.

root# googlechrome 
/usr/bin/googlechrome: line 2: export: `GOOGLE-CHROME=/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome': not a valid identifier
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-open.c: 689: _dl_open: Assertion `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args.nsid)->r_state == RT_CONSISTENT' failed!
And starting it from terminal shows this.

I even tried to run them from /usr/bin/googlechrome and also did not work.

lolo69

#61 Post by lolo69 »

Also please answer my very first question: What happens when you reboot?
When rebooting my pc? what should happen, nothing special it just load like always, but you know my iconless desktop this time.

MochiMoppel

#62 Post by MochiMoppel »

lolo69 wrote:None of them work neither the ones that work clicking on them nor the ones that not.
Sorry, language problem. I don't understand this sentence.
lolo69 wrote:

root# /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop
bash: /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop: Permission denied
Well, this would never work since .desktop files are pure text files and you can't run them with bash, but are you saying that all your triangle ROX shortcuts contain links to /usr/share/applications/xxx.desktop files? This would mean that you created them manually because no decent installer would do that and that foxpup was - miraculously - right. But it makes no sense: When you open a ROX window and click on a /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop it is the same as if you would click on a ROX desktop icon that has "/usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop" as its link address. Either both work or none works, both actions are controlled by ROX and ROX makes no difference.

Does any of your triangel shortcuts point to an address that is not a .desktop file?

foxpup

#63 Post by foxpup »

miraculously
What? I knew it all the time. I am not stupid, I am. :lol:

lolo69

#64 Post by lolo69 »

Well, this would never work since .desktop files are pure text files and you can't run them with bash, but are you saying that all your triangle ROX shortcuts contain links to /usr/share/applications/xxx.desktop files? This would mean that you created them manually because no decent installer would do that and that foxpup was - miraculously - right.
Yes, almost every single one has a /usr/share/applications/xxx.desktop path.
I created them with PupMenuEdit tool.
Does any of your triangel shortcuts point to an address that is not a .desktop file?
But i just found that the console icon links to /usr/bin/urxvt, this because, most of default icons was erased by me from the desktop.
And once again: What happens when you reboot?
What do you mean? rebooting my pc? i gave you an answer to that, if it is not the pc what then?!

lolo69

#65 Post by lolo69 »

foxpup wrote:
miraculously
What? I knew it all the time. I am not stupid, I am. :lol:
Don't worry you don't walk alone into the stupidness bro. :)

EDIT: idk why but i think that sentence i just wrote has no sense, sorry i don't master the english.