How can I set the default PDF reader in Slacko 570? [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mike Walsh

How can I set the default PDF reader in Slacko 570? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

I know that for setting default apps to open for specific functions, we normally use Menu->Setup->Default Applications Chooser.

I want to set Adobe Reader 9 for Linux as the default PDF reader. In later Pups (like Tahrpup, Xenial, the later Slackos, to name but a few) the DAC has a specific category for the default PDF reader; 570, however, doesn't.

Is there a way to set the default application for PDFs in Slacko? Or, failing that, is there an updated version of the DAC that can be installed, which has this particular function?

570 is using version 0.8.6 of the DAC, which I notice is rather older than what later Pups use. Any suggestions or info would, as always, be very much appreciated; Adobe Reader itself doesn't appear to have a means to set this.....or if it does, I'm hanged if I can find it!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 01:04, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well, I must be going daft!

Thanks to a timely reminder from Semme (who informs me he's in 'observation mode' at the moment, BTW!), I've remembered that you can always do this sort of thing by right-clicking on any given file, and choosing 'Set run action'.....then dropping your app's executable into the box that comes up.

I'd forget my head if it wasn't bolted on..! :roll:

I'll mark this as 'Solved'.

Mike. :wink:

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

If Slacko does not have a default setting for opening pdfs how can I read pdfs just by clicking on them? There must be a default chooser somewhere surely - or is this set by a "mime type" or something?

EDIT : Aahhh - found it. Seems that you can modify the content of the file /root/Choices/MIME-types/application_pdf

See http://puppylinux.org/wikka/AssociateFiles for more detail (although my puppy does not seem to have the Choices directory where that page says it should be...)

Code: Select all

# cat /root/Choices/MIME-types/application_pdf
#! /bin/sh
exec epdfview "$1"
# 

MochiMoppel

#4 Post by MochiMoppel »

greengeek wrote:although my puppy does not seem to have the Choices directory where that page says it should be...]
You obviously found it where the page said it should be, didn't you?
puppylinux.org wrote:~/Choices/MIME-types/[MIME-type]
You wrote:/root/Choices/MIME-types/application_pdf

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

MochiMoppel wrote:You obviously found it where the page said it should be, didn't you?
Actually, yes, it does seem so. However in reality, no i did not - simply because I misread the page, then proceeded to find Choices with my usual method - stumbling around in the dark until I found it. :roll:

In my defence I would say this: in the past I have seen that there is a "doubling up" of some of the ROX filer files in the sense that the "old" standard was for some of them to be found in /root/Choices but the "new" standard is for them to be found in /root/.config. (go ahead - slay me for my inaccurate terminologies, non-pedantic methodologies and undisciplined stumbling :twisted: )

I seem to recall that "globicons" is one such file that has definitely caused me problems in this regard. (and I seem to have a memory of finding Choices in more than one place on some occasions - maybe a malformed pet?? Who knows?)

Anyhow, when I first scanned that page I thought I read:
"~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types/[MIME-type]
~/Choices/MIME-types/[MIME-type]"

which made me think I should see Choices within the rox.sourceforge.net directory.

See how easy it is for me to become confused? A little bit of speed reading, a little bit of optical inaccuracy, a smidgin of old age and a penchant for going off half cocked and the result is mayhem :oops:

However, the main thing is at least I found Choices in the end :twisted:

EDIT : At least now I understand what the tilde ~ means. I thought it meant "continued from previous line". Seems not.

MochiMoppel

#6 Post by MochiMoppel »

greengeek wrote:In my defence I would say this: in the past I have seen that there is a "doubling up" of some of the ROX filer files in the sense that the "old" standard was for some of them to be found in /root/Choices but the "new" standard is for them to be found in /root/.config. (go ahead - slay me for my inaccurate terminologies, non-pedantic methodologies and undisciplined stumbling :twisted: )
I wouldn't dare to go ahead with the devil on my back :lol:
Only this - risking to confuse you even further: ROX looks for MIME run action scripts not in 2 but in 3 locations, and /root/Choices is the last it would check and the least relevant ...

You are right with your observation that while the "old" standard used /root/Choices the "new" standard is using /root/.config. Unfortunately old habits never die and Puppy devs still use directory /root/Choices/MIME-types though IMHO they shouldn't.