How to add sleep mode to Slacko 6.3.2-uefi?

Booting, installing, newbie
Newbie481

How to add sleep mode to Slacko 6.3.2-uefi?

#1 Post by Newbie481 »

Hello

I am new to Linux from Vista on a 32-bit Sony Vaio (VGN-NS10L). Having tried a few distros live on USB, I want to settle on Slacko Puppy (currently Slacko 6.3.2-uefi). To save battery and keep the laptop running cool I need a sleep function. When idle, the system should automatically disconnect from the internet and switch to minimum power. On waking it should automatically reconnect to internet and resume exactly where it left off.

During sleep it should NOT save anything to USB or hard drive, it should not close any windows or shut down. I do not want to close the lid to put it to sleep.

Is there a simple beginners way to add this sleep mode in Slacko?

NB. I tried some distros usually recommended for beginners (Lubuntu and Mint) but I did not like them.

Newbie481

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Hello Newbie481,

You can add a button on desktop for sleep/suspend, here's how I did it:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 563#957563

Also if you go into Menu -> System -> CPU Frequency Tool, you can change the settings to "ondemand" so that it runs cooler when idle... if your CPU allows this. It might already do this for you automatically.

Another is in Menu -> Desktop -> pupX you can set the screen to go blank after a certain amount of time (default 10 minutes). This could probably be modified to run suspend, but I never tried it because I prefer controlling this with the desktop button.

HerrBert

#3 Post by HerrBert »

AFAIR the script /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh needs to be edited because of a missing doublequote at the end of the script.

delivered:

Code: Select all

rm -f "$LOCKFILE
edit to:

Code: Select all

rm -f "$LOCKFILE"

Sailor Enceladus

#4 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@HerrBert: I noticed that too. I thought maybe the last quotation was open so that if the script was run from another script, it could inject more into the variable afterwards... but I'm not sure. Maybe someone really just forgot to close it :?: :)

Newbie481

#5 Post by Newbie481 »

Sailor Enceladus and HerrBert - thank you both for your replies. I will try them out.

mikeslr

Suspend to RAM via PupShutDown

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Newbie481,

I'm not sure which version of PupShutdown Slacko 6.3.2-uefi uses. I'm currently running Xenialpup64. When I click Menu>Shutdown a Gui shown in the attached screenshot opens. At the bottom-left is a icon which looks like a "G". Placing the mouse-cursor on it provides the tool-tip "Suspend to RAM". Clicking it appears to do just that, blanking the screen and turning off Wifi. I've forgotten what I did to "unsuspend" --move mouse, press the Enter Key or Spacebar-- but my computer immediately came back to life, displaying the windows that had been open when suspend was activated and reconnecting to the my network.

Your version of PupShutDown may be slightly different. So explore. Worse case scenario, install radky's latest version of PupShutDown available here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 134#422134. Except as otherwise noted by his posts providing them, all radky's pets are neither Puppy Version (e.g. Slacko vs. Tahrpup) nor architecture (32-bit vs. 64-bit) dependent; that is, they will function under any Puppy.

mikesLr
Attachments
capture4531.png
PupShutDown GUI
(35.04 KiB) Downloaded 807 times