Microsoft uses Puppy Linux code for Windows updates?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
bigpup

Microsoft uses Puppy Linux code for Windows updates?

#1 Post by bigpup »

I wonder if Microsoft has a person constantly looking at the code, used in Puppy Linux, to figure out how to fix the code in Windows OS :idea: :idea: :lol:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

It won't be long now before they modify bash, and patent it!
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

wiak

#3 Post by wiak »

tallboy wrote:It won't be long now before they modify bash, and patent it!
Well... bash is licensed under the GPL, so if they were to modify it they are legally required to make their mods under the GPL too. If, on the other hand, bash had a liberal MIT Licence, they could modify it and make their modified version proprietry and sell that one. But even then the original bash would remain under MIT License and that version open-source for others to modify if they wish.

My own feeling is that development suffers if a piece of software can never be modified for commercial sale. Of course the original developer can release their own software under GPL and any other license they choose (for, say, enhanced versions) and some do that (Notecase, for example). But problem is if you are a commercial developer - you really have to be careful not to include any code that is already under GPL or your commercial for sale software has to be released as GPL (which basically means forget making any money out of your work...).

And since software development is all about copying patterns and algorithms developed over the years (like any research) it is pretty hard to write the same code differently... so development suffers, hence I prefer liberal MIT license and accept someone may modify the code and release their modified version as commercial/not-open-source - the original remains open-source MIT though. Being GPL bash is stuck in the GPL world, which is not always a good thing for software development/offerings more generally - better if it was MIT IMO (many definitely disagree with that opinion I have...!). I will never use GPL license on anything I write; MIT for me, but hard to do that properly since so much GPL code we have to avoid using prior to saying license MIT.

Having said all that, I'm personally more worried at the possible dominance of systemd in terms of it becoming dependency of so much other software. Its license is LGPL so can be linked to non-free software, but the issue is its invasive nature, rather like a noxious weed killing off all alternatives because of the giant shadow it creates.

Facebook gone MIT?:

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-o ... 310c3cf94/

wiak

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

Your title is misleading to say the least.
Without any references it is also pointless.

Linux would be a CLI for longer than it was if it hadn't copied the concept of Windows.

Linux uses a routine that I developed originally for mainframes back in the 1970's and has been copied and used in most Operating Systems since.

Anyone who doesn't use the best or most familiar tools at their disposal for doing tricky tasks is a fool.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

It's a JOKE!!

Something crazy to talk about!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

Like Linux????
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett