Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Jul 2019, 22:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in
Page 11 of 11 [156 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11
watchdog

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2019, 23:38    Post subject: New profile handling  

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/21/firefox-67-0-release-information/

Quote:
New Firefox installations will use a dedicated profile automatically starting with the release of Firefox 67. Firefox used existing profiles previously by default which led to two issues:

Profiles were shared between different Firefox installations, e.g. Nightly and Stable, which could lead to conflicts.
You could not run multiple Firefox installations side by side by default.

Firefox supports options to run multiple profiles side-by-side and the new release does not take these away. It makes things easier for users of the browser who install different versions of Firefox on a single device.

I'm not a user of the scripting in this thread: I untar firefox in /mnt/home and manually symlink the profile in /mnt/home. Starting with firefox 67.0 I cannot symlink the profile (it's ineffective). Sync is required. What's new for this thread? Is still possible a portable firefox with dedicated profile?
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun 2019, 02:23    Post subject: Re: New profile handling  

watchdog wrote:
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/21/firefox-67-0-release-information/

Quote:
New Firefox installations will use a dedicated profile automatically starting with the release of Firefox 67. Firefox used existing profiles previously by default which led to two issues:

Profiles were shared between different Firefox installations, e.g. Nightly and Stable, which could lead to conflicts.
You could not run multiple Firefox installations side by side by default.

Firefox supports options to run multiple profiles side-by-side and the new release does not take these away. It makes things easier for users of the browser who install different versions of Firefox on a single device.

I'm not a user of the scripting in this thread: I untar firefox in /mnt/home and manually symlink the profile in /mnt/home. Starting with firefox 67.0 I cannot symlink the profile (it's ineffective). Sync is required. What's new for this thread? Is still possible a portable firefox with dedicated profile?

Not sure I understand well, can you give example what you do exactly that previously worked but now is ineffective ?
I'm running 67.0, works fine with dedicated profile, e.g.
Code:
-profile /path/to/profile

even if profile is a symlink.

Fred

watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun 2019, 05:03    Post subject:  

If I copy an old .mozilla profile placed in /mnt/home to /root or symlink it, then firefox 67.0 does not use it but starts with a new void profile requesting a sync operation and registration to use the old preferences.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun 2019, 05:44    Post subject:  

Quote:
I'm running 67.0, works fine with dedicated profile, e.g.

Code:
-profile /path/to/profile

even if profile is a symlink.

Me, too.

I'm just running Fred's Firefox-portable, as I have been for months. It upgraded to 67.0, and carried on as if nothing had happened. Mind you, I guess it is of course using a 'dedicated' profile anyway, so.....

I share one 'firefox32' directory' between multiple Puppies. Seems to work OK, as always.

Mike. Wink

watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun 2019, 05:44    Post subject:  

Okay! I have found the way to use an old profile with firefox 67.0.

Code:
/mnt/home/firefox_32/firefox -profile /root/.mozilla/firefox/xxxyyyzzz.default

"/mnt/home/firefox_32/firefox -profile /root/.mozilla " does not work: you have to write the right inside profile. But I remember that when I have gone through syncing I was advised that some extensions were not usable in firefox 67.0 and there were suggestions to update them. Forcing the profile can break firefox if you do not use sync.
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   46.09 KB
 Viewed   180 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun 2019, 06:42    Post subject:  

Ah, good, I could reproduce now what you got by copying old .mozilla profile to /root, btw.
Fortunately with "-profile /path/to/profile" it works so the 'portable' setup should be still OK.
Sigh... all those changes everytime... Confused

Fred

Page 11 of 11 [156 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: