Fatdog64-720 and 721 Final [11 Jan 2018]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
belham2

#211 Post by belham2 »

stemsee wrote:Could someone please replicate this test?

uninstall cups-2.1.3 cups-avahi cups-filter and report anything unusual.

Cheers
stemsee
LOL :lol: , saw stemsee's msg yesterday, thought I have Fatdog721 on one laptop & there's no printing hooked up to it, so what possible harm could come if I removed cups? Did it, and KABOOOM, after everything started & sitting in horror as Gslapt went into some drug-filled hyperdrive, when it was over my savefile was completely toast.

Stemsee, from here on out you are officially on my "NO-FLY" list. I'm gonna pass on all your Dr. Frankenstein experiments....haha :wink:

P.S. Thanks, JB, for explaining what happened. For a short while (until reading your post this morning), I thought my system had been hit by some nasty virus/malware I'd never heard of.

step

#212 Post by step »

I prefer using command-line slapt-get rather than gslapt. One reason is that slapt-get can uninstall a package without also uninstalling its dependencies. Just use the --no-deps option. And slapt-get asks you to confirm install/uninstall operations, so you always get a chance to opt out.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

drunkjedi

#213 Post by drunkjedi »

On a positive note this is a blazingly fast way to have a "SlimDog64".

stemsee

#214 Post by stemsee »

@belham2 ... roflmao!

Seriously JB if I only did stuff with the OS that I understand, I would still be on windows chasing down malware! instead of squashing bugs! I'm only the messenger!!

dr. Dan

#215 Post by dr. Dan »

Thanks for the good info! I do my learning on a "safe" computer, and somewhat agree with stemsee. I would not have guessed the fun and flexibility of Linux a few years ago. And I expect a few bumps in a construction zone.

dr. Dan

upgrade find-n-run

#216 Post by dr. Dan »

glsapt doesn't want to upgrade find-n-run, objecting to my lack of gtk-dialog 514, but gslapt indicates I have the latest version of gtk-dialog.

Just FYI, I figure it can be fixed.

step

#217 Post by step »

@dr. Dan, the correct dependency info should be gtkdialog-2013.514-x86_64-1 and will be fixed in the package itself. Meanwhile, you can upgrade it from the command-line with:
slapt-get --ignore-dep -i findnrun

Thanks for reporting.
Last edited by step on Thu 01 Mar 2018, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

jamesbond

#218 Post by jamesbond »

@stemsee:

Of course every one is welcome to experiment, and is encouraged to. That's what FOSS is all about. Experiment, tinker, share and improve.

But when you do experiment you take precautions. You don't do experiment with rocket fuel in your house - you do it in a special disposable place, so that even if it gets destroyed, you still have a house to come home.

Also, if you have done your own experiment and found that it destructive, you don't ask people to repeat what you did without telling them the consequences. You don't basically ask people "please run rm -rf / in terminal, and tell me what result you've got." That would be irresponsible.

In fact, although it sounds like cliche, there is a good reason every potentially dangerous experiment always starts with the warning "don't do it at home ..."

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your feedback and bug reports. They all help Fatdog to become better for all us. But please do it more responsibly.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

dr. Dan

#219 Post by dr. Dan »

@ step: Thanks, I did it just because, even though I don't use it. Learning is good.

@jamesbond: I would have appreciated a warning, but ultimately, my fault for not pulling out my flash drive to prevent writing the changes. Live and learn, and learn, and learn....

stemsee

#220 Post by stemsee »

Fairpoints!

I am consistently opening initrds and mounting kernel-modules.sfs and swapping them around thinking I can keep track of all the speedy things I do simultaneously, needless to say I lose track and get confused, re-duplicating done things. Then I often reboot, and forgot what for etc etc ... so I thought my personal system was awry, and posted in a manner that would not cause alarm etc ... I was fairly certain that there would not be a similar result! (as in when I found a problem with fatdog remaster iso on my pc). In fact somewhere along the line, I broke cups server and only got an error when trying to browse to localhost:631/admin ... this prompted me to search online for causes ... at which point I realise cups is at 2.3, so I decided to compile and install that after uninstalling 2.1.3, not realising it should be gslapt 'locked'. So when everything and the Out house sink got removed I reasonably assumed it was my broken system. Fair enough I should have said don't use an important savefile for this test.

Although I chuckled at imagining the look of horror on the testers face! and still do!!

stemsee (from ground zero)

jake29

xchat 2.8.8

#221 Post by jake29 »

I needed an IRC client recently and installed XChat via Gslapt. XChat installs, and while /usr/bin/xchat-spot exists - the app still tries to save its settings to /root/.xchat2 and fails.

Just thought I should mention this in case other apps behave the same way and there is a universal solution.

watchdog

#222 Post by watchdog »

Why am I not able to download sse palemoon by Walter Dnes from ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/ in fatdog 721? I downloaded it using puppy 4.31 using palemoon 27.8.0 glibctweaked...

Keef

#223 Post by Keef »

watchdog

Download link works for me in 721 (using Palemoon 27.8).

watchdog

#224 Post by watchdog »

Keef wrote: Download link works for me in 721 (using Palemoon 27.8).
Got it. I disabled eztables and now it's working. What have I to insert in my eztables.cfg in order to consent ftp connections?

drunkjedi

#225 Post by drunkjedi »

watchdog wrote:
Keef wrote: Download link works for me in 721 (using Palemoon 27.8).
Got it. I disabled eztables and now it's working. What have I to insert in my eztables.cfg in order to consent ftp connections?
Hey watchdog,
A friend of mine is also having trouble with transmission to download torrents, because of firewall.
See discussions on THIS thread.

I couldn't find detailed info about how to edit eztables config files.
And I don't have any knowledge about firewalls either.

Trapster on that thread gave two iptables commands to allow UDP incoming and outgoing.
Similar can be made for ftp I suppose.

If anyone can give some sort of guide for editing eztables config for torrents and ftp, it would be immensely helpful.

slowride

Spot's TRYING to train an Autistic Human-Saurus

#226 Post by slowride »

Hokay, I made it over here from the "beginners" board...

Here's where we are: (BIOS MB, aint no EFI in this camp. ) 1TB WD, = /dev/sda

/dev/sda1 "where linux was planned"
#2 for M$ (if reduced to that)
#3 STORAGE (that one matters)
#4 -- 18 gigs of SWAP (the box will take 16 why not be ready if I find the RAM?)

"Syslinux" is where GRUB2 was, and it can't find ldlynux.c32 (as best I could copy from the screen) -- rather "drag y'all down through there" of the misadventures which resulted in that -- I did read the docs and the red letters... Still patheticly impaired (decades of Pavlov), I found the 2nd icon from LH, there in the control panel "Install FatDog" --

THE USER MADE AN ERROR.

Further Foo, or Bar, shall be avoided.

===================
Yeah, it really is Autism. I cope better some days than others, key thing, that's MY JOB. If skills need adjustment, let me know. Expect gratitude.
That being said, can I just drop the fronts? The more purfume added, the more evident the pig...
===================

Before I exhaust all patiences: I'm firmly committed to open mindedly HEARING what YOU can convey. I'm deferring any conclusions, much less decisions or actions -- I don't "Have to" put FatDog on /dev/sda1

it might be easier for everybody to just load the recovered .iso (I'm open to even that, but would prefer leaving it a "last option")

To be so rude as NOT have done my best to wrap my little crayon-level brain around - WOW what have you DONE? that's evident in the Manuals -- To go bugging the authors -- without at least trying to retain the information, that's outside my ability.

... Any questions are efforts to understand, not obstinance.

I DID READ the red letters that said "unsupported" ... Followed by several options of how Installation could be accomplished. Then clarified WhiCH (5.2.something ) version the official support ceased...

Dont see any "accidental" omissions, or "forgot to delete" inclusions anyplace in that manual.

The inclusion of the options indicates they still exist, and are still viable and fully functional --- Am I anyplace close if that's something like in the US, an Automotic Transmission (Essentially, a slush box) is "Standard Factory Equipment" on all but heavy duty trucks... Can only pay extra for a "special option" only available in "special cars" Even the same "fossil-lady" spanking CLEAN record, ins. simple liability for a paid in full vehicle, cost difference of "Manual" vs. "Slush Box" is significantly higher, even though the slush-box equipped car is somewhat more powerful/faster (which should , result in greater potential for injurious accident? The difficulty of finding parts, and dwindling scarcity of shops equipped much less staffed to maintain what's a safer - in skilled hands - and BETTER transmission there's that too )

You can PM the response if approprate -- I can easily percieve WHY it'd be exhaustively impossible to support "full install" ? (simply too outnumbered by folks like me that mess up)

This begs the question, if based on what YOU tell me, should I consider using the "officially supported version" if Hard Drive Install [n]eeds[/i] to happen in order to best support my application?

The FLEXIBILITY that's glaringly evident in the design of this, am I any place close to guessing correctly?

I don't sense this as a "by-product". Is Flexible the goal?

Also, I can easily list my fairly simple (and goal specific even) "end goals"

Whever you need to know on "application / goal" I'll supply.

We might find it's not badly broken, the challenges are minor and addressable. It's clear that I simply need to "translate" modifications I've already created to PROPERLY deployment, rather than being forced to fly by the seat of my pants (for everyplace else I've been, I quickly learned "root" was a taboo word, submission to systemd -- I even TRIED it -- OMG what a sloppy mess but submit one must, or out with ye...)

I did not intentionally acquire bad or sloppy habits. I'll do my best to correct them, as I sense they might now, finally, be un-necessary here.

Thank you in advance --
slowride

PS -- the docs REALLY are GOOD. I mean from the perspective of a 3rd generation, only 2nd gen american, OLD, old-school Engineer, McGrandpa's pattent is still findable, McDad had a hand in many FoMoCo Factory Service Manuals, Myself did the technical Illustration and helped proof-read a required text of a major, highly respected trade union - All this occurred in pre-historic times, even so. Look at what's published today - What you've done is refreshing, indeed to these old eyeballs.

dr. Dan

Re: Spot's TRYING to train an Autistic Human-Saurus

#227 Post by dr. Dan »

@slowride:

I'm not on the Fatdog team, but I think I can give you some initial help.

1. Keep sda1 small. Fatdog64 is compact!
2. Do the frugal install. It works just fine. There are those who need a full install, but most don't, and frugal is more secure in case of trouble.
3. Use a save folder. It doesn't have to be enlarged.
4. check the "small initrd" box in the installer for a slight speed increase at boot.
5. If you've already made changes and don't want to lose them, save them to a directory in sda3, then copy them back after a successful installation. Better to install first, and modify after.
6. (Maybe, but check with the devs) Put the save folder in sda3.

Yes, the devs have done impressive work. A little patience and learning and it should get much easier.

Dan

Sage

#228 Post by Sage »

Do the frugal install.
The dr. speaks with forked tongue! Contact jb and ask him for the instructions to do a FULL install. Save files are nothing but trouble - always have been, always will be, just take a look at the legions of tales of woe in these posts. By the time files get onto media, there's already been a load of compressions. Stick with plain files. What's the problem with space on media? HDs ~40Gb were considered BIG a decade ago, now everyone has cheap Tb discs and even SDs, USBs and SSDs come in 64/128/250Gb. Uncompress your FD64 and it'll only occupy a tiny corner of any of those. No need to inflate/deflate, recompress re-decompress multiply compressed agglomerates. One file goes bad - replace it. K.I.S.S. is always the correct way in every technology.

belham2

#229 Post by belham2 »

Sage wrote:
Do the frugal install.
The dr. speaks with forked tongue! Contact jb and ask him for the instructions to do a FULL install. Save files are nothing but trouble - always have been, always will be, just take a look at the legions of tales of woe in these posts.
Sage,

No disrespect, but sometimes you gotta cut the bullsh!t. With it (with regards to this constant harping about 'savefiles' and "frgual installs' here and over the past years that only you keep espousing) it isn't even funny anymore. Just cut it out, because it is not true. The only place it is true is in your own mind. There is no "legion" of tales of woe on this board. There is you. Mostly only you. I've been here 14 yrs now on Murga, and there is no 'legion', period and it is only a fiction in your own mind, that for some reason you keep harping about even though it doesn't exist. What does exist? There is just you, and a select few others. Together, this little troop (you included) subject the 99.98% of the rest of us to posts from people that: a) do not understand 'savefiles', and; b) do dumba#ss things when handling savefiles.

I am sorry about the tone of this post, but you have got to learn when to back off about some things. Stop doing a disservice to everyone else who uses savefiles and/or---especially---new users who might consider wanting to use them. And for the love of it all, stop about frugal installs. Do you even hear yourself? It is unreal. Frugal installs are what Puppy is all about. Period.

drunkjedi

#230 Post by drunkjedi »

I don't use savefile.....

I use savefolder. :wink:

With the expand kernel boot parameter my base sfs gets expanded to RAM on boot. So there's no ongoing compression-decompression while using system. Hopefully.

There's no right way to boot.
There's just your own way.
I use it because I like it that way.
If somebody tell me how to load a full install in RAM, I will try that too.
But that doesn't mean only my way is the right way.