(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Sep 2020, 02:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-720 and 721 Final [11 Jan 2018]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 11 of 31 [453 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
DrDeaf

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan 2018, 16:33    Post subject:  

Hey dr. Dan, thanks! I had tried killing the connection and scanning again, going through the Control Panel to Network Setup... but I didn't know about this way.
It works here too.
jake29

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan 2018, 19:52    Post subject: Re: run-as-spot wine  

step wrote:
@jake29, I haven't announced it, yet, but I built wine-3.0 SFS. Load it from SFS manager for a test run. Backup spot's wine prefix to be safe. It's working well for me.

Thanks for the reply. It would appear I am eternally stuck at Wine 2.7. With Wine 2.8 and newer, significant changes where made to the way speech-support (sapi) is implemented. Wine 2.7 or older uses the WinXP system, anything newer than Wine 2.7 uses the Win7 system.

I cannot make the Text-to-speech (TTS) voices, or the reader app I use everyday to work on anything newer than Wine 2.7. I have tried previously different solutions, and I've tried once again a moment ago. TBH, I don't really need anything newer than Wine 2.7, and I feel that I have resolved the issue mentioned in my last post. I'm very happy with my current Wine setup.

So alas, I will not be joining you in your future adventures with Wine 3.0 and beyond. Unless of course, some new and mind-blowing TTS software arrives that is compatible.
Gordie

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan 2018, 23:34    Post subject:  

On my Lenovo Thinkpad W510 Fatdog64-721 does not support wifi
step

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 02:23    Post subject:  

@Gordie, perhaps you need to add a kernel module specific to your adapter. In brief, connect to the Internet somehow, start SFS Manager from Control Panel > System, download and load the "additional firmware SFS", depmod the kernel module of your interest (this might be a bit difficult if are inexperienced with depmod), test wifi by clicking "Restart Connection" from the right click menu of the wpa_gui icon in the tray (read Fatdog's Networking help topic for more info). If wifi works then you can make the changes permanent by extracting from the SFS the module files of your interest and adding them to the file system.
Please report the make and model of your wireless adapter so we can add it to the ISO. To keep Fatdog slim the ISO doesn't include all possible firmware but just a selection of mainstream hardware. Occasionally we need to tune the selection. This is better explained in the second post in this thread.
Other people before you have had this problem, so you can search this thread for more tips and additional instructions.

snayak

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 05:27    Post subject:  

I see, when I shutdown Fatdog 720, sometimes it immediately shows me "Fatdog is shutting down...", but many times it shows me this message after a long time. Till then, screen is black/blank and a single cursor on left top.

Any idea?

My savefile is 4GB ext4. But on Fatdog 611 also my save file was this big and ext4. Then, shutdown was always immediate.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/
Anniekin

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 05:43    Post subject:  

What is the best way to add a debian repository to gslapt and which debian version should be added?
amn87

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 08:31    Post subject:  

Thanks for the link. Got it working. Finally have a ripple-free desktop.
I do have a few issues:
1.I installed Chrome from FD's Control Panel but it does not start at all. Ditto for FF 58? although I had been warned about missing dependencies .
Lxterminal output:
firefox
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib64/firefox-58.0.1/libmozgtk.so:
libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
2. Everytime I boot the Wifi is switched off(the wifi/bt toggle button ihas reverted to the off state). I have to type rfkill unblock all and restart connection to switch wifi on. Is their a way to run it via startup via a script or something?
step wrote:
@amn87, if the correct driver version for your nvidia is 340, then I have compiled 340.106 for Fatdog64-721. I uploaded and SFS here https://drive.google.com/open?id=12oXcbYf2oToFyo3wGk_tOfQXdLxmLHyR
This being an SFS, you need to load it early and to blacklist nouveau. Personally I do it by modifying the kernel line in the boot loader entry for Fatdog64-721, i.e.,
Code:

kernel WHATEVER blacklist=nouveau extrasfs=label:LABEL:PATH-TO/NVIDIA_64_32_4_14_12-340.106-x86_64-1_721.sfs

where you should replace "LABEL" with the partition label of the disk, and "PATH-TO" with the full path of the directory where the SFS file is located in the disk, and "WHATEVER" is whatever is currently in the kernel line.
Note that Fatdog64's initrd supports other ways to specify file locations without partition labels - See FAQ in "Fatdog help".
step

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 11:19    Post subject:  

snayak wrote:
I see, when I shutdown Fatdog 720, sometimes it immediately shows me "Fatdog is shutting down...", but many times it shows me this message after a long time. Till then, screen is black/blank and a single cursor on left top.

Any idea?

My savefile is 4GB ext4. But on Fatdog 611 also my save file was this big and ext4. Then, shutdown was always immediate.

1. Other than this "slowdown", does your system not shutdown correctly?
2. How long is the "slowdown"?

My guess is that while the cursor blinks in the top-left corner the system is syncing your disks to prevent data loss. This is normal and it's done on purpose. Depending on your disk cache state, it may take an instant to several seconds, even 20-30 seconds if you just performed a large file transfer to/from a USB stick before shutting down. You could try the following to confirm that syncing is the reason for slow shutdowns.

Before shutdown, on every shutdown, close all applications and open a terminal window. Type sync and press ENTER. When the prompt returns - it may take some several seconds before it does - close the window and perform shutdown. Is the shutdown process slow?

If, by repeating those steps on every shutdown, for several shutdowns, you can observe no slowdowns, then syncing was probably what you interpreted as slow shutdowns before.

step

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 11:32    Post subject:  

Anniekin wrote:
What is the best way to add a debian repository to gslapt and which debian version should be added?

Fatdog doesn't have an apt-get package manager, so you can't add a debian repository directly. If you have a specific deb package file, and want to convert it to the Fatdog64 package format, you can right click the deb file icon and select "Convert to Fatdog package format". Be aware that this is a straight format conversion, and debian package control and install scripts are stripped off in the conversion. Notably, the conversion doesn't check for dependencies, that is you will not be informed if you need to also install supporting libraries. This step is typically apt-get's job.

Fatdog64 does have dpkg, another debian package manager. However, it's a cut-down version. I seem to remember someone compiled the full dpkg binary for Fatdog64 and made it available, but I don't recall where. Anyhow, dpkg deals with local files, so again it can't be used to directly interface a debian repository.

edit: the full dpkg package is available in the official Fatdog64 package repository.

Last edited by step on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 15:54; edited 1 time in total
step

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 11:57    Post subject:  

amn87 wrote:
Thanks for the link. Got it working. Finally have a ripple-free desktop.
I do have a few issues:
1.I installed Chrome from FD's Control Panel but it does not start at all. Ditto for FF 58? although I had been warned about missing dependencies .
Lxterminal output:
firefox
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib64/firefox-58.0.1/libmozgtk.so:
libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

Recent versions of FF and Chrome depend on GTK3. Did you install the gtk3 package before trying to start FF or Chrome?
Those browsers might have other dependencies, I'm not too current. Here's a list of dependencies I made for Opera, which uses Chromium, so it should help you for Chrome at least. Omit libnotify, because I don't think Chrome needs that.
Code:

at-spi2-atk-2.18.1-x86_64-1
  at-spi2-core-2.18.3-x86_64-1
  gtk3-3.18.7-x86_64-1
  libnspr-4.17-x86_64-1
  libnss-3.33-x86_64-1
  libnotify-0.7.7-x86_64-1

Quote:

2. Everytime I boot the Wifi is switched off(the wifi/bt toggle button ihas reverted to the off state). I have to type rfkill unblock all and restart connection to switch wifi on. Is their a way to run it via startup via a script or something?

Maybe this script
Code:

#!/bin/dash
sleep 5
rfkill unblock wlan
/etc/init.d/50-Wpagui restart

Put it in /root/Startup/restart-wlan.sh, and make it executable.
This script will be executed each time Xorg starts.

Alternatively, you could disable execution for the script, and call it directly from /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
Code:

dash /root/Startup/restart-wlan.sh

This way the script runs only when Fatdog64 boots up.

version2013

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 13:33    Post subject: Re: run-as-spot wine  

jake29 wrote:
step wrote:
@jake29, I haven't announced it, yet, but I built wine-3.0 SFS. Load it from SFS manager for a test run. Backup spot's wine prefix to be safe. It's working well for me.

Thanks for the reply. It would appear I am eternally stuck at Wine 2.7. With Wine 2.8 and newer, significant changes where made to the way speech-support (sapi) is implemented. Wine 2.7 or older uses the WinXP system, anything newer than Wine 2.7 uses the Win7 system.

I cannot make the Text-to-speech (TTS) voices, or the reader app I use everyday to work on anything newer than Wine 2.7. I have tried previously different solutions, and I've tried once again a moment ago. TBH, I don't really need anything newer than Wine 2.7, and I feel that I have resolved the issue mentioned in my last post. I'm very happy with my current Wine setup.

So alas, I will not be joining you in your future adventures with Wine 3.0 and beyond. Unless of course, some new and mind-blowing TTS software arrives that is compatible.

Did wine change so much between v2.7 and v2.8 that setting the winversion to xp does not work as expected?
That is disappointing.

Just a quick look at the wine announce pages for v2.8, I notice one mention of psapi.

I wonder what a regression test would reveal as the first commit that broke sapi in wine 2.8. Although it is possibly multiple commits that broke it, and winehq wants the new sapi implementation the be the only working one going forward.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 13:42    Post subject: Fatdog64-720 and 721 Final [11 Jan 2018]  

I'm booting from the DVD using the option for slow bios on my 10 year
old Acer Aspire desktop, the savefile is on a 32gb flash drive.

System: Host: fatdog64-e81 Kernel: 4.14.12 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 Distro: Fatdog64 Linux 721
Machine: Device: desktop System: ACER product: Aspire M5620 v: R01-A4 serial: PTS860X0348050CF642700
Mobo: ACER model: G33T-AM v: 1.0 serial: 00000000 BIOS: American Megatrends v: R01-A4 date: 12/19/2007
Battery hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
hidpp__1: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
CPU: Quad core Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1603/2403 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.5 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 390.25
Network: Card: Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
Drives: HDD Total Size: 532.1GB (0.5% used)
Weather: Conditions: 19 F (-7 C) - light snow Time: January 31, 12:25 PM EST
Info: Processes: 165 Uptime: 1:16 Memory: 264.7/7981.0MB Client: Shell (sh) inxi: 2.3.56

I've installed dosbox,lxterminal,and Firefox Quantum 58.0.1
Installed the latest proprietary Nvidia driver for my graphics card.
Have fd64-devx_721.sfs,kernel-source-4.14.12.sfs,and
kodi_17_6-2017.12.20-720.sfs loaded.

It works pretty well so far.
xscreenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   75.23 KB
 Viewed   449 Time(s)

xscreenshot.jpg

step

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 16:10    Post subject:  

@Billtoo, thanks for the report. Was wifi working OOTB for the "slow bios" option, or did you need to add a driver?
On a side note, I like that you add local weather conditions to your reports!

Billtoo

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 16:32    Post subject:  

step wrote:
@Billtoo, thanks for the report. Was wifi working OOTB for the "slow bios" option, or did you need to add a driver?
On a side note, I like that you add local weather conditions to your reports!

@step

I used the wired connection when I set this up, after seeing your
message I unplugged the ethernet cable and plugged in a usb adapter.
When it finished booting I ran the network setup in the control panel
and configured the wireless adapter, it's working fine.

Network: Card-1: Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
Card-2: D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W] driver: rt73usb

Thanks.
jake29

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 16:34    Post subject: Re: run-as-spot wine  

version2013 wrote:
Did wine change so much between v2.7 and v2.8 that setting the winversion to xp does not work as expected?
That is disappointing.

Just a quick look at the wine announce pages for v2.8, I notice one mention of psapi.

I wonder what a regression test would reveal as the first commit that broke sapi in wine 2.8. Although it is possibly multiple commits that broke it, and winehq wants the new sapi implementation the be the only working one going forward.

I actually meant to say that Wine v2.17 is the last version for me. It was with v2.18 that all the sapi changes occurred: https://www.winehq.org/announce/2.18

As I said previously, fundamental changes where made. Maybe the new system works fine for some apps, but it messes things up for me. Even with v2.17, I am required to do some registry hacking to get sapi working properly. The utility I use to do this did not work at all in v2.18 - presumably because it's expecting the old WinXP sapi implementation.

Edit: I should also say I have to add the sapi.dll manually to v2.17 and earlier - so it's possible they simply [finally] properly implemented sapi with v2.18. But in doing so, they broke my workarounds.
Page 11 of 31 [453 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: