lyx text editor

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
irishrm

lyx text editor

#1 Post by irishrm »

Would anyone have or know of a puppy package of lyx text editor. A family member is having terrible trouble with windows updates and wants to move to linux. As a long time user of puppy I recommended xenialpup but he needs to have lyx.
I know lyx is available in ubuntu but would prefer puppy.
I know this is a long shot but thanks for reading anyway.
irishrm.

scsijon

Re: lyx text editor

#2 Post by scsijon »

irishrm wrote:Would anyone have or know of a puppy package of lyx text editor. A family member is having terrible trouble with windows updates and wants to move to linux. As a long time user of puppy I recommended xenialpup but he needs to have lyx.
I know lyx is available in ubuntu but would prefer puppy.
I know this is a long shot but thanks for reading anyway.
irishrm.
It's available, but you need to include latex/tex and others first https://www.lyx.org/AdditionalSoftware.
This is it's website https://www.lyx.org/ and as long as you use ubuntu's xenial package, it is ok (and by the way they have a great wiki page on adding it).

tallboy

#3 Post by tallboy »

Lyz is massive, with a lot of dependencies. I took these screenshots in my Lucid 5.2.8.7. to show you the dependencies. Lyx can be downloaded with the Puppy Package Manager (PPM), but this Puppy is getting quite old; OK for an old PC, but there are better Puppys for modern PCs, Xenialpup seems to be a good choise, I am sniffing on that one myself! :D
This version is 3 packages:
lyx-common_1.6.5, Architecture independent files for LyX
lyx_1.6.5, Document processor
ttf-lyx_1.6.5, True Type versions of some Tex fonts
Attachments
lyx-common-deps.jpg
(136.96 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
lyx-deps-1.jpg
(130.64 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
lyx-deps-2.jpg
(122.04 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
lyx-deps-3.jpg
(110.1 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
lyx-fonts-deps.jpg
(103.84 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

irishrm

Lyx

#4 Post by irishrm »

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like a big undertaking but I'll give it a try anyway.If I succeed I'll report back. Thanks again_irishrm.

scsijon

#5 Post by scsijon »

Yup, it's a little name but with big capabilities.

It's a self configuring WYSIWYG Documentation creating tool and that's why it's so big.

And it's used by a lot of script and story writing systems as it's easy to setup for multiple people to provide input into the one work.

Building it youself you can remove some of the dependancies, but you also loose functions, so why would you. My only wish was it hadn't been built on a QT base. as that would have saved some 20gig.

When I get back to T290 in 2018 I may just have a go at adding it after I have the base working as it's quite a tool.

hamoudoudou

Lyx from PPM artful

#6 Post by hamoudoudou »

Lyx from PPM artful , the newest repository, waiting Bionic
Attachments
38mb.jpg
If needed
(64.58 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

irishrm

lyx

#7 Post by irishrm »

Thanks for pointing me towards that. irishrm
Edit:
I installed lyx, texlive and a host of other dependencies on xenialpup. All seem to be working ok as far as I can tell. however my knowledge of this program is zero so I will have to wait for feed back from someone who knows.
Thanks again for the help. Will report on progress.
irishrm.

irishrm

lyx

#8 Post by irishrm »

update:
lyx as installed worked well but the problem is that this version is not compatible with the newest version which is 2.2.3.
So i'll now try hamoudoudou's suggestion which is to install Lyx from PPM artful i.e. New Install of artful and lyx.
Thanks again for the help. irishrm.