Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Oct 2018, 13:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Firewall problems and SAMBA password....
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
Grogster

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec 2017, 19:22    Post subject:  Firewall problems and SAMBA password....
Subject description: Configuration does not work, and how do you change the SAMBA password

Hello. Smile

Slacko64 Puppy 6.4.0
SAMBA enabled.
One share: <puppyshare/mnt> - everything under /mnt.

I can connect just fine with the firewall OFF, but as soon as I enable it, and UNTICK the default, and tick allow SAMBA, then OK - firewall restarts, but shares still blocked.

If I go back into the firewall settings again, the default is still ticked, and SAMBA is UNTICKED. So, it is not applying the settings for some reason.

When I restart the firewall, I do get a console output of black text on a yellow background, but it goes past too fast to read, then the window closes, so I have no idea if it is trying to tell me something relevant. Can anyone point me to where I might find that log file for the firewall? At least then I could have a read and see if there was some problem there...

I wanted to enable the firewall, as a quick check for something totally different today on the PuppyServer resulted in a list of about six or seven IP addresses from Taiwan to Canada all connected and ESTABLISHED. This I did not think could happen, as I have set the gateway on this machine to 0.0.0.0, so with no gateway, I fully expected that this was a LAN only machine and that the WAN could not even SEE this machine let along apparently connect to the bloody thing! Surprised Embarassed

On another subject, the SAMBA app in Slacko64 is very useful for easy setup of SAMBA, and it mentions you can change the user and password later, but does not hint where or how you do that.

I found smb.conf under /user/samba, but there was nothing in there to suggest how you enter or otherwise change the default passwords. This would be very nice to know, so if anyone has any pointers....

Please bear in mind I am a Windoze user, so I might need my hand held a little here.....
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 08:37    Post subject:  

I know you are using Slacko64, but if you are interested, you could try my new QuickSamba, in EasyOS 0.6.4:

http://bkhome.org/news/201712/easy-os-pyro64-064-released.html

don570 has tested it, he found ambiguity in some wording:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=977857#977857

and my reply:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=977896#977896

QuickSamba is an icon on the desktop, just click it, and a few simple selections and Samba is working. A one-stop-shop.

don570 did all kinds of other things, probably because of past experience. Don't. Just click "share" on the desktop and follow instructions, nothing else to do.

If you like QuickSamba, it can be ported to Slacko, or any other pup. It requires the 'smbnetfs' PET, and 01micko's Simple Samba Management (/usr/sbin/samba.sh) has been modified.
So a PET could be created with all of that in it. QuickSamba itself is /usr/sbin/quicksamba.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 10:08    Post subject:  

Hi, Grogster.

I use rcrsn51's Samba-TNG across every Pup in my 'kennels'. The version of Samba in use in Puppy generally is a lot simpler than 'full' SAMBA.....although even that is available should you want it.

Samba-TNG can be found here. Note also the autostart .pet which will start Samba-TNG automatically at boot time.

My smb.conf (@ /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf) looks something like this (I use /root as my 'share point'):-

Code:
[global]
dns proxy = no
max log size = 50
domain master = no
domain logons = no
workgroup = Workgroup
netbios name = Lucid-Server
server string = Puppy Samba-TNG Server
security = user
;map to guest = Bad Password
;printcap name = cups
load printers = yes

[pupshare]
path = /root
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
force user = root

[printers]
path = /tmp
printable = yes
guest ok = yes

I don't bother with a password for Samba, either; since there's only me who uses my Pups, it would be rather pointless.

I've used Slacko64 in the past, and the firewall always seemed to be problematic.....the settings always needed to be 're-applied' at every boot, for some reason. So you're not alone in that respect!

However, that was in the very early days of the 'new-look' firewall; I believe most of the issues have been resolved since then.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 20 Dec 2017, 20:33; edited 1 time in total
Grogster

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 19:17    Post subject:  

@ BarryK - Hi. Smile I only use Slacko64, cos it has that nice little SAMBA config utility, which makes setting up shares to Windoze machines dead easy inside Puppy, without needing to go anywhere near the console, unles you want something more specific. So, I don't really care what Puppy distro I use, so long as it has an easy way to setup SAMBA shares. Wink

I will download and have a play with Easy OS - was not aware of that one, so thanks for the heads-up, and QuickSamba sounds like just what I might need.

@ Mike - Hi. Smile Thanks for letting me know you and perhaps others have had issues with the firewall in Slack64. That is nice to know.(that i'm not the only one!) I will have a look at Samba-TNG - had not heard of that either.

Sorry everyone - being a Windoze user, I am rather out of touch with Linux, although I DO use it for my mediaplayer(OpenELEC) and for my servers, but I am really a novice compared to the rest of you Linux gurus! Razz

Oh, one thing I did do, was turn off UPnP on my router, which was enabled by default. Members of another forum suggested that might have been a reason for the foriegn connections. Since doing that, only the LAN IP's show in the eth0 stats, which is a good sign. I will be watching this very closely for the next few days.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 20:53    Post subject:  

Grogster wrote:
@ BarryK - Hi. Smile I only use Slacko64, cos it has that nice little SAMBA config utility, which makes setting up shares to Windoze machines dead easy inside Puppy, without needing to go anywhere near the console, unles you want something more specific. So, I don't really care what Puppy distro I use, so long as it has an easy way to setup SAMBA shares. Wink

Yeah, that Samba config GUI was written by 01micko, the creator of Slacko, and is named Samba Simple Management. I am using that also in EasyOS, but modified.

Samba Simple Management is now integrated into QuickSamba, though it can still be run on its own.

EasyOS also uses the same firewall as Slacko, and QuickSamba manages it nicely.

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: