Intel a370 rev 10 wireless not functioning

brewfest

Intel a370 rev 10 wireless not functioning

#1 Post by brewfest »

Sorry in advance for for the newbieness of my problem!
I have a pretty new laptop being the Dell G3 3579 and I am having trouble getting the wireless extension to be recognized. I have looked through a few forum posts and saw that running lspci detects a networking card from intel of "a370 rev 10". looking further into the matter finds that other linux (flavors?) also have a problem getting the device to run and actually pick up wireless networks or be properly detected. This post says that the linux kernel is simply not up to date enough to identify the device, and seeing as xenialpup was released in 2017 and the linux mint problem was in 2018, I imagine my issue is related.

Either I am completely wrong and have overlooked something, or I need to know how to update the kernel (if possible) or just fix the wireless in general. Any help is appreciated and don't be afraid to talk to me like I'm stupid because I probably am.

666philb

Re: Intel a370 rev 10 wireless not functioning

#2 Post by 666philb »

brewfest wrote:Sorry in advance for for the newbieness of my problem!
I have a pretty new laptop being the Dell G3 3579 and I am having trouble getting the wireless extension to be recognized. I have looked through a few forum posts and saw that running lspci detects a networking card from intel of "a370 rev 10". looking further into the matter finds that other linux (flavors?) also have a problem getting the device to run and actually pick up wireless networks or be properly detected. This post says that the linux kernel is simply not up to date enough to identify the device, and seeing as xenialpup was released in 2017 and the linux mint problem was in 2018, I imagine my issue is related.

Either I am completely wrong and have overlooked something, or I need to know how to update the kernel (if possible) or just fix the wireless in general. Any help is appreciated and don't be afraid to talk to me like I'm stupid because I probably am.
hi brewfest,
maybe try bionicpup as it has a newer kernel http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Also make sure the wifi is actually turned on.
Laptops usually have a off/on switch for wifi.
Puppy Linux does not automatically turn wifi on if it is turned off.

The manual says this to turn wifi on/off:
Attachments
Screenshot(2).png
(11.96 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

brewfest

#4 Post by brewfest »

bionicpup does indeed work! sadly to say though trying to start/restart with fn+prt scrn did nothing for xenialpup. I have run into a new problem with networking however, as where I go to school requires me to "log in" to the wireless. I'm not sure how to explain it, as it isn't a popup or anything, it is just there. on my phone I have to provide an "identity", being my school username, and the network password being my school password. It is using something called PEAP without a CA certificate. I really don't know what any of this means, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to connect to it on puppy by providing the necessary fields.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

When you do a connection setup, that is saved as the default setup.
When you boot, it automatically uses that setup.

If you try to connect at some other location.
You have to make a setup for that location.

menu>Setup>Internet Connection Wizard>Wired or wireless LAN>Network Wizard

See if it will provide what you need. It offers a lot of options.

Anyone at this school that could give you help.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

brewfest

#6 Post by brewfest »

I fixed the connectivity issue! the problem was that the networks were using eduroam and I needed a piece of software built to handle it. I used PWF and simply typed in the required information. worked instantly.
Thanks for the help!