Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 04:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
OneBone resurrection
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [41 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Nathan F

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep 2006, 17:24    Post subject:  OneBone resurrection  

Ever since Barry K first mentioned his intention to create a console only Puppy I thought it was a superb idea. I have an older Toshiba laptop that goes with me on the road a lot, but the specs aren't exactly too high on it. The original OneBone was about the perfect match for it, leaving a good deal of memory free even after caching itself. But that's several versions ago, for one thing. And there were a few things I wanted to change about it also.

So I've taken the latest packages out of Puppy-2.10 and built a pretty nice iso that is CLI only. It's in a slightly rough state right now but it has some nice features already, for instance this one will start up the gpm daemon automatically if your mouse is detected correctly, and it also has a package manager and a spreadsheet program (sc), plus the lucent and smartlink modem drivers. It's kind of hard to get the size down much smaller at the moment since Puppy's base libraries have grown so much but it's within about a megabyte of the original now. I stripped out a few other miscellaneus things like background images and icons while I was in there too.

So I plan to release this iso when it's a little more polished, even though it will probably only see very limited circulation. But I'd like some input on what the community might like to have in a CLI system besides what is already in there. The main apps are right now:

Elinks with javascript support
MidnightCommander (does everything)
SC spreadsheet
e3 and MP text editors

So guys give me a clue, what else would you like to have in there?

Nathan

marksouth2000

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep 2006, 17:43    Post subject: Re: OneBone resurrection  

Nathan F wrote:
So guys give me a clue, what else would you like to have in there?

X. Seriously. Just the teeny VESA server is enough for most uses. I have been hoping that someone would do a Onebone+basic X Puppyversion.

OK, I'm going to get flamed for this, but the thing is that console applications are most useful under X, since you can have multiple xterms open and be browsing the web, reading email, reading netnews, editing a file and compiling a chunk of code all at the same time. Leaving out the bloated X apps with their GTK dependencies is fine, one could do the list above with links, mutt, slrn, vi and gcc without needing more than a bunch of xterms. You don't need menus either, people can type commands in the terminals.

Good grief, this is so ... retro Cool
Nathan F

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep 2006, 18:05    Post subject:  

Well, that's interesting. I see the point, really, but don't intend to put an X server in there. I suppose it might be possible to give and easy to download and install conversion that has xvesa and maybe ctwm or something. And an xterm of course.

I was thinking along the lines of other CLI apps like antiword, tinyirc, the like. Ways to fill out the iso and make it more useful.

Nathan

gliezl

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 00:38    Post subject:  

My choice:
nano
hexedit
minicom
unrar
wvdial
htop
nmap
mpg123
nail
bashburn
hydra
orpheus
lxslpit
-------
as a pupget: when u decide you'll make it to a server. Very Happy
sshd
iptraf
bind9
squid
openvpn
samba
xmail
tcpdump

raffy

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 10:39    Post subject: Nice idea  

This is a really nice idea. I will add two items that you can place at the bottom:

- Internet telephone (ex., Skype without the GUI?)
- Arachne browser for Linux (well, it delivers GUI in DOS, but I haven't tested the Linux version yet)

Nathan F

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 10:55    Post subject:  

Arachne is hopelessly out of date, and it's a graphical browser anyway. I'm sticking with Elinks but have also been toying with Netrik a bit. I still think Elinks is the best.

As for internet telephone well I'll just have to investigate some options.

Nathan

Nathan F

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 11:43    Post subject:  

A few extra things meeting with my approval so far-

tinyirc
mpg123
bashburn
htop

The version of naim I tried would not die politely and spiked at 99% cpu usage, not good. I may try again with a fresh source build, but I think most geeks will be satisfied with tinyirc. With e3, mp and mcedit there are plenty of editors, so nix to nano or anything else, really. In fact, I kind of really dislike e3 so far and might just remove it. I personally can't stand using wvdial and really prefer eznet over it, but if someone can point out any benefits maybe I'll leave it in. I'm looking now at nail and orpheus and both sound great in theory, but I will have to try them before giving a thumbs up. Nail has been merged into Mailx, and it looks like it has all the features needed in a mail client. I was most pleased to read that it can do smtp, as most CLI mail clients require a Sendmail setup to transport mail off your local machine.

I'm excited now, this is beginning to look good to me.

Nathan

marksouth2000

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 12:21    Post subject:  

Nathan F wrote:
I suppose it might be possible to give and easy to download and install conversion that has xvesa and maybe ctwm or something. And an xterm of course.

That would be cool. Please do that. Rxvt is a good choice for the xterm, and even twm would be enough window manager for the purpose.

Think of this for even older, weedier, hardware than Puppy will run on at present.

This would have one happy user at least Smile

[/quote]I was thinking along the lines of other CLI apps like antiword, tinyirc, the like. Ways to fill out the iso and make it more useful.[/quote]
Yeah. Lots of lightweight apps accessible from the commandline and lots of windows to type their names in Smile

You also mentioned mpg123. That was one that sprang to my mind, but does Onebone have ALSA already? ISTR that Barry left it out.

Sounds like you're letting yourself in for a lot of work. Call on me (PM or email - see below) if you want some help.
Nathan F

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 12:35    Post subject:  

As of right now it still has alsa and a lot of sound tools. There shouldn't be too much more work to do, most of it is already done. I'm just evaluating a few more applications right now and creating a couple more unleashed packages, getting ready to put a beta iso together. I'm not planning to turn it into a big project right now. If I was I'd probably go so far as to recompile the kernel to provide a framebuffer console option, and hack a bit more into the startup scripts. But I think I can leave a good base in place, for anyone who would like to take it a little further.

The offer of help is appreciated, just be ready to give it a test for now.

Nathan

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 12:46    Post subject:  

Quote:
recompile the kernel to provide a framebuffer console option

Is that what would be needed to be able to see text in the CLI while the framebuffer is enabled? When I use a framebuffer in 109CE I can see text, but in 2.XX I see no text. Fbv (shows an image using framebuffer) does work in both versions though.

I haven't actaully started looking at why this happens yet, but it's on my to-do list. When I saw that I thought I'd ask and maybe save myself some time.

Nathan F

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 13:13    Post subject:  

Code:
modprobe fbcon

I have it compiled right into my kernel, which is going into Grafpup when I eventually find the time. However, new kernel means old modules don't work, means packages out of the Puppy repo that include modules no longer work. So that's why I have no plans to do it right now.

Nathan

GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 13:48    Post subject:  

of course, you can move a job to the background by pressing ctrl+Z and use fg, bg and jobs to switch between tasks (unlike dos, linux is a multitasking environment)

also, you can setup more terminals in inittab, so you can switch between tasks by pressing ctrl+alt+F2 etc etc
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 13:51    Post subject:  

by the way, i have a Bashburn 1.6 dotpup package ... that version of Bashburn used setterm -clear to clear the screen ... i had to write a setterm script to workaround the fact that Puppy did not have setterm ... the latest Bashburn is 1.8 and uses clear, so it should just run in Puppy
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 13:54    Post subject:  

Thanks. After I added Barry's extra module pack and modprobed it, it worked.

Yeah, those extra terminals come in handy sometimes. Linux is cool like that.

Maybe include wput. I've only used it once or twice, but it was pretty nice.

Nathan F

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 14:15    Post subject:  

I checked out bashburn from svn, as the current tree has dvd support. Wput might be a good idea, I have used it and it works quite nicely. BTW a beta iso will be along in an hour or so.

I'm also thinking I might add transmissioncli.

Nathan

Page 1 of 3 [41 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: