Wine re-install (solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
jakobcornelis

Wine re-install (solved)

#1 Post by jakobcornelis »

My Wine stopped working. I manually deleted all Wine files, but when I try to reinstall Wine, a message tells me Wine is already installed. How do I get around this?

Jakob Cornelis

HP Compaq
DC7199 SFF
CPU P4 3.0 GHz
HDD 80 Gb - SATA
Ram 1024 Mb
OS Slacko 6.3.2 frugal
Last edited by jakobcornelis on Wed 13 Mar 2019, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

Gordie

#2 Post by Gordie »

So, you didn't uninstall from the package manager?

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

First try to see if Wine is still listed in the Puppy Package Manager(PPM) uninstall.
Try UN-installing from there.

If that does not work.

Navigate in Rox file manager to /root/.packages
(A hidden directory)
See if there is any Wine files in this directory you can delete.
Also, in that .packages directory is the file user- installed-packages.
Open it in a text editor.
Delete any references to Wine.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Just following up bigpup's post. And am not sure wine creates them. . But some applications create hidden files and/or folders. If Wine does, just typing "wine" --without the quotes-- in pfind won't locate hidden files. These always start with a . pronounced dot. To locate --and later delete any hidden wine files --you have to use ".wine" --without the quotes-- as your search term.

Once you've located them, you can open your browser then to their parent/containing folder and set it to show hidden files --using rox, just Left-Click the "Eye".

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Jakob.

I've always found, on the odd occasions in the past when I have done something like this, that 'removing' it via the PPM usually fixes the problem. Probably because it removes the entry in Pup's app database (at /root/.packages) that tells it what's installed; it's where the 'pet.specs' entry inside every .pet package ends up. That is the only thing that's holding you up.

You may well be able to remove those with Geany, or whatever your favourite text-editor is, as bigpup says.

SFS packages are a whole different ball-game, since they simply 'layer-over', rather than overwrite. If you're getting the message that it's already installed, I'd lay odds that your WINE install was originally from a .pet package.

I won't guarantee 100% that it'll work, but I'd rate the probability in the low to mid 90% range that it will..... AFAIK, the only 'hidden' part of WINE is the main '.wine' directory in /root. Everything else related to WINE will be locatable with pFind.

Mike. :wink:

jakobcornelis

#6 Post by jakobcornelis »

OK, I managed to install another Wine (wine.2.0.3). The problem was I hadn't used the PPM. Followed the directions there.
Thanks very much for your help, all of you.
I will presently resume on http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111813 to try and deal with ADE.

Jake