How do I set up a vpn in Slacko 6.3?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Scott99

How do I set up a vpn in Slacko 6.3?

#1 Post by Scott99 »

MOVED

Hello, I have an an account with windscribe which i use to provide vpn connections for my computers. I have absolutely no idea how to set up a vpn on puppy linux and the few tutorials I've found that even remotely address the subject are way to complicated for me to follow. My question is this: can anyone guide me step by step, making no assumptions that I know how to create certificates or even located installed programs in my file system, in how to select, install, configure, and operate, a vpn that works with Slacko? Thank you in advance for your assistance. Scott

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 13:02 Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Scott,
Welcome to the forum. The mods might move this thread as the HOW TO section is normally for solutions that people have already found, rather than for questions.

It is always helpful if you can state the full Puppy version and number. Which Slacko are you using?

Setting up a VPN in Puppy is not too difficult, but some basic understanding of Linux as an operating system is required of course. The first thing I would suggest is to install openvpn. You might be able to do this via the package manager but there is one here http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/openvpn- ... acko57.pet which I compiled in Slacko 5.7 and which you should be able to just download and click to install.

You will need the openvpn configuration file from your VPN provider. This is usually available as a download if you log in to your account (windscribe) and is probably a file which ends in .ovpn (you can rename this for convenience if it helps, for example, call it windscribe.ovpn). Placing this file in your /root directory makes the next step simple.

With those 2 ingredients it should be possible to load the VPN from terminal. Just type openvpn --config windscribe.ovpn
You should be prompted for username and password.
Enter those and the VPN should initialize.

Scott99

How do I set up a VPN in Slacko 6.3?

#2 Post by Scott99 »

Hi, thanks for your help. It worked great.