LosslessCut - A Simple Video Cutter for Linux

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, GG.

Ah, good; glad it worked for ya.

Regarding the 'gargantuan' size; that is, of course, why I made it up as an SFS.....so's it can be loaded/unloaded as & when necessary.

Battleshooter originally put this glibc 'upgrade' together simply for getting Chrome/Chromium working in Racy & Carolina.....but I just keep finding new uses for it! The beauty of it is that it doesn't overwrite the existing glibc/libstdc++.so.6; it adds these alongside them.....so that applications can pick up the relevant version that they're looking for.

Seems to work rather well!

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink:

watchdog

#17 Post by watchdog »

In slacko 5.6 a general glibc upgrade is not required: only libstdc++.so.6 must be upgraded. I used libstdc++.so.6 from centos 6 for the following package.

LosslessCut-tweaked.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nBgn2h ... sp=sharing

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ah! Thanks, watchdog; I did wonder about that, I will admit.

'Twas pure experimentation on my part. Since it worked, and all else appeared to function OK, I left it at that... However, I've since found it's also enabled me to run a newer version of Cinelerra. Previously, only 4.2 would work in Slackos 560 & 570; now, I can run 5.0 (which is a more competent release), so; I'm quite happy with that.

Cheers for the info, anyway!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#19 Post by greengeek »

watchdog wrote:In slacko 5.6 a general glibc upgrade is not required: only libstdc++.so.6 must be upgraded. I used libstdc++.so.6 from centos 6 for the following package.
LosslessCut-tweaked.pet:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nBgn2h ... sp=sharing
Thanks Watchdog - works well on my Slacko 5.6 derivative.

I do have a problem with Lossless cut not recognising .avi files. Webm is fine, but not avi

Do others have this same issue?

watchdog

#20 Post by watchdog »

greengeek wrote: I do have a problem with Lossless cut not recognising .avi files.
Same here.

Mike Walsh

#21 Post by Mike Walsh »

greengeek wrote:I do have a problem with Lossless cut not recognising .avi files. Webm is fine, but not avi

Yep; you're not the only one with that problem, mate. It also doesn't seem to like .flv. Mind you, Avidemux doesn't seem to much like those two either..... As you say, strangely LosslessCut appears quite happy with .webm (which is a much newer format). Odd, that.

'Horses for courses', I guess.

-----------------------------------------

Your 'tweaked' version is running beautifully in Upup Raring, watchdog. Raring, of course, has a newer glibc anyway (2.17), so it was just the newer libstdc++.so.6 that was required. And Cinelerra 5.0 is happy with glibc 2.17, so I haven't bothered with battleshooter's 'upgrade' in this particular case, since it wasn't in fact needed. (It's stuff I'm reluctant to alter/modify/change unless there's an advantage to be gained, because there's too much potential for 'bricking'.....and I'm still rather hazy on how much of that side of things works.)

Anyway; thank you, mi amigo. Much appreciated.

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, kiddiwinks.

The new version of LosslessCut was released literally just a couple of hours ago - v.1.11.0.

I've downloaded the .zip archive, but since it's way past my bedtime and I'm that tired I can't concentrate any longer, that's all I'm doing for now.....

A new SFS package will be following sometime tomorrow. Watch this space! :)

wiak

#23 Post by wiak »

Mike Walsh wrote:
greengeek wrote:I do have a problem with Lossless cut not recognising .avi files. Webm is fine, but not avi

Yep; you're not the only one with that problem, mate. It also doesn't seem to like .flv. Mind you, Avidemux doesn't seem to much like those two either..... As you say, strangely LosslessCut appears quite happy with .webm (which is a much newer format). Odd, that.
AVI is just a container. It is the codecs used to compress/format/etc the contained audio and video tracks that is probably causing the problem for LosslessCut (and other such tools). Lossless cutting also relies on sufficient 'Key Frames' (to allow accurate cutting), which is where the cuts are made leaving the inbetween data untouched. So a lot depends on how things are encoded rather than the container format used to store the whole kaboodle:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/avi-mkv-m ... -compared/

wiak

riedzig

#24 Post by riedzig »

Losslesscut is also meant as a lossless audio cutter. But there is one strange in it, it has language .pak files, but you can't switch to them.

Mike Walsh

#25 Post by Mike Walsh »

riedzig wrote:Losslesscut is also meant as a lossless audio cutter. But there is one strange in it, it has language .pak files, but you can't switch to them.
That's probably because the Electron framework stuff (which is most of the contents of the directory, AFAICT) is fairly 'generic'. The language pack files will in all likelihood be there for every application produced with it; but accessing them is going to depend entirely on whether the developer has written his code to actually use them.....

mikeslr

#26 Post by mikeslr »

Further information can be found at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 15#1032815 and later posts on that thread.

Current features on version 2.3.0 are:

Lossless cutting of common video and audio formats
Lossless re-merge of selected segments (for cutting out commercials etc.)
Lossless merge of arbitrary files (with identical codecs)
Lossless extracting of all data streams from a file (video, audio, subtitle, ++)
Take full-resolution snapshots from videos in JPEG/PNG format
Manual input range of cutpoints
Can include more than 2 streams or remove audio track (optional)
Apply a timecode offset
Change rotation/orientation metadata in videos. Great for rotating phone videos that come out the wrong way without actually re-encoding the video.

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut. But see that post regarding formats supported, instructions for using and limitations including "Supported Formats...Linux (64/32bit, not tested)".

The current 64-bit version seems to be functional under Xenialpup64. The above features are reminiscent of the virtualdub + cutassist but with a more user-friendly interface. As yet, not extensively tested.

Mike Walsh

#27 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mike:-

I seem to remember having had problems with certain video codecs/formats in earlier versions. I notice, after reading through all the latter half of the main page, that Mikael Finstad (mifi) has since added the ability to 're-mux', on-the-fly, for previously unsupported formats/codecs, etc....

It 'works' with the 're-muxed' version, but the 'cutting' is done with the original file, so the 'lossless' tag still applies. Nice one!

V-e-ery neat. No wonder I liked this right from early days, eh?