Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Jan 2018, 23:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Xenial 64: Saved file exists but not recognized
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Author Message
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 22:48    Post subject:  Xenial 64: Saved file exists but not recognized  

I installed xenial 64 puppy 7.5 today, tested in 3 computers. Everything is fine in 2 of them, wonderful version. However, in one PC, the saved file is made without problems, but after reboot, the system begins as if no saved file was present, and it is in the HDD.
The PC have 2 partitions, one for Windows 10 and one for ext4. I have tested with the Windows partition and with the ext4 partition, the same problem in both.
Previously, I worked with Precise puppy without issues to report.
Do you have an idea of what is happening? How can I solve this?
Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sailor Enceladus

Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 1415

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 07:59    Post subject:  

I've never had a machine with Windows 10, how are you booting into the puppy? As far as I understand it, Win10's hybrid-boot/half-hybernate default shutdown locks you out from using anything else, or maybe just from accessing that partition, or maybe that was an old problem Linux managed to outsmart since. The puppy files (vmlinuz, puppy.sfs, etc.) are in the ext4 partition on sda2, along with the savefile? I think if you use ext4 you can also choose the savefolder option. I'm using grub4dos to boot and my menu.lst looks like this (the xenialpup iso was extracted into the /xenialpup folder on sda2, which is ext4):

Code:
title Xenialpup 7.5
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /xenialpup/vmlinuz psubdir=xenialpup pmedia=ataflash
  initrd /xenialpup/initrd.gz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 9866
Location: Charleston S.C. USA

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 08:11    Post subject:  

What is the boot loader being used to boot Xenialpup?

Just a guess.

Look at the boot loaders menu entry.
See if it has pfix=ram anyplace in the entry.
If yes.
Remove it from the entry.

That command says to not use the save.

_________________
I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Dry Falls

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Posts: 530
Location: Upper Columbia

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 10:12    Post subject:  

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
I've never had a machine with Windows 10, how are you booting into the puppy? As far as I understand it, Win10's hybrid-boot/half-hybernate default shutdown locks you out from using anything else, or maybe just from accessing that partition, or maybe that was an old problem Linux managed to outsmart since. The puppy files (vmlinuz, puppy.sfs, etc.) are in the ext4 partition on sda2, along with the savefile? I think if you use ext4 you can also choose the savefolder option. I'm using grub4dos to boot and my menu.lst looks like this (the xenialpup iso was extracted into the /xenialpup folder on sda2, which is ext4)...

Had a chance to use a newish laptop with win10 to test my wifi setup. Only works if your puppy (or whatever) is on a usb drive or stick with uefi. Go into windoz settings panel and tell it to rebuild. click usb (where your linux is plugged in) and windoz will think you have its own rebuild hooked up. It properly turns itself off and gives full control over to the usb drive/stick. It's like it was never there. No fussing with the bootloader is necessary.

df
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 11:56    Post subject:  

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
I've never had a machine with Windows 10, how are you booting into the puppy? As far as I understand it, Win10's hybrid-boot/half-hybernate default shutdown locks you out from using anything else, or maybe just from accessing that partition, or maybe that was an old problem Linux managed to outsmart since. The puppy files (vmlinuz, puppy.sfs, etc.) are in the ext4 partition on sda2, along with the savefile? I think if you use ext4 you can also choose the savefolder option. I'm using grub4dos to boot and my menu.lst looks like this (the xenialpup iso was extracted into the /xenialpup folder on sda2, which is ext4):

Code:
title Xenialpup 7.5
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /xenialpup/vmlinuz psubdir=xenialpup pmedia=ataflash
  initrd /xenialpup/initrd.gz


Hi, its booted from a usb drive
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sailor Enceladus

Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 1415

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 12:16    Post subject:  

morochos wrote:
Hi, its booted from a usb drive

I think that's normal with the new init then. It looks in the puppy directory only (in your case, on the usb) for the savefile by default to save time. From what I remember, you have to use pmedia=cd to get the new init to search other drives for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 9866
Location: Charleston S.C. USA

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 15:33    Post subject:  

How did you install it to the USB flash drive?
Details????
That will tell us what boot loader is being used.

_________________
I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 18:22    Post subject:  

The xenial puppy is booted from a usb drive, but the save file is in the HDD ext4 partition.
In my other 2 computers, this problem is not happening.
Thanks to all for the interest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeslr


Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 2126
Location: 500 seconds from Sol

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 20:57    Post subject: SaveFile not on same partition/drive as other needed files  

Hi morochos,

There is a boot command which can be used. AFAIK it comes in two forms that may help with problematic storage media. The command is pdev or pdev1, See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=614539#614539 and http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77120.

It is used as part of the 'kernel argument', for example, bolding only for emphasis:

kernel /xen64/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash pdev=sda4 psubdir=xen64 pfix=fsck

The argument following pdev= will depend on what label Xenialpup64, being booted from a USB-Stick, has assigned that partition.

Before you attempt to use it, however, perhaps you could answer bigpup's question, "How did you install Xenialpup64?" In particular, I would want to know what bootloader was installed to the USB-Stick. Grub4dos writes a menu.lst which would have to be edited. Other bootloaders write configuration files which would have to be edited. What does your current menu.lst or boot config file now say?

Additionally, please make certain that you are correct in asserting that there are only two partitions on your Window 10 computer. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it is my understanding that if a computer is manufactured as a Windows 10 computer it would have 3 partitions, with a fourth if one was resized to create space for a Linux partition. Out of the box, the computer would have had a first small boot partition, about 350 Mbs; a third, recovery partition of about 8 Gbs, with the balance of the hard-drive, the 2nd partition, to be used for the Windows 10 operating system, programs and data. Partitions 1 and 3 should never be tampered with. So if Partition 2 was resized and a 4th partition added, your usable partitions may be sda2 and sda4.

But what does Xenialpup64 see?

You can check this in two ways. On bootup Xenialpup64 will display desktop icons for each partition. Placing your mouse cursor on each icon for a couple of seconds will generate a tool-tip of its size and how it was formatted. The second method is to open Menu>System>gparted and see how your hard-drive has been partitioned.

So, also let us know what label Xenialpup64 assigned to Linux formatted partition.

mikesLr

P.S. Before I forget, when booting from a USB-Stick with a SaveFile on a partition, it is often beneficial to move the SFS files --e.g. puppy_xenial64_7.5.sfs-- to the same location as your SaveFile, even though this requires also editing the menu.lst or config file. Hard-drives operate about 15 times faster than Series 2 USB-Sticks. And having all files at the same location avoids any confusion during the boot process as to where files are located. The boot program may operate at the speed of an electric current, but it is still an idiot. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 23:55    Post subject: Re: SaveFile not on same partition/drive as other needed files  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi morochos,

There is a boot command which can be used. AFAIK it comes in two forms that may help with problematic storage media. The command is pdev or pdev1, See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=614539#614539 and http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77120.

It is used as part of the 'kernel argument', for example, bolding only for emphasis:

kernel /xen64/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash pdev=sda4 psubdir=xen64 pfix=fsck

The argument following pdev= will depend on what label Xenialpup64, being booted from a USB-Stick, has assigned that partition.

Before you attempt to use it, however, perhaps you could answer bigpup's question, "How did you install Xenialpup64?" In particular, I would want to know what bootloader was installed to the USB-Stick. Grub4dos writes a menu.lst which would have to be edited. Other bootloaders write configuration files which would have to be edited. What does your current menu.lst or boot config file now say?

Additionally, please make certain that you are correct in asserting that there are only two partitions on your Window 10 computer. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it is my understanding that if a computer is manufactured as a Windows 10 computer it would have 3 partitions, with a fourth if one was resized to create space for a Linux partition. Out of the box, the computer would have had a first small boot partition, about 350 Mbs; a third, recovery partition of about 8 Gbs, with the balance of the hard-drive, the 2nd partition, to be used for the Windows 10 operating system, programs and data. Partitions 1 and 3 should never be tampered with. So if Partition 2 was resized and a 4th partition added, your usable partitions may be sda2 and sda4.

But what does Xenialpup64 see?

You can check this in two ways. On bootup Xenialpup64 will display desktop icons for each partition. Placing your mouse cursor on each icon for a couple of seconds will generate a tool-tip of its size and how it was formatted. The second method is to open Menu>System>gparted and see how your hard-drive has been partitioned.

So, also let us know what label Xenialpup64 assigned to Linux formatted partition.

mikesLr

P.S. Before I forget, when booting from a USB-Stick with a SaveFile on a partition, it is often beneficial to move the SFS files --e.g. puppy_xenial64_7.5.sfs-- to the same location as your SaveFile, even though this requires also editing the menu.lst or config file. Hard-drives operate about 15 times faster than Series 2 USB-Sticks. And having all files at the same location avoids any confusion during the boot process as to where files are located. The boot program may operate at the speed of an electric current, but it is still an idiot. Laughing


Hi mikeslr
Thanks for your response.
Well, I installed the xenial puppy in the flash drive using unetbootin, as ever I have done. The same flash drive I can test in the others 2 PCs and it works perfectly.
The PC has 3 partition, you are right. 1 for windows, 1 for ext4 and 1 for swap memory
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 9866
Location: Charleston S.C. USA

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov 2017, 07:29    Post subject:  

Quote:
So, also let us know what label Xenialpup64 assigned to Linux formatted partition?

If we ask questions, we need answers????

Is the save just on the ext4 partition or is it in a directory(folder)?

If in A directory(folder).
What is it named?

If in a directory(folder). Is it one layer deep or multiple layers deep.
Example:
/some name/xenialpup64save
or
/some name/some name/some name/xeniapup64save

_________________
I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sailor Enceladus

Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 1415

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov 2017, 07:50    Post subject:  

Dry Falls wrote:
Had a chance to use a newish laptop with win10 to test my wifi setup. Only works if your puppy (or whatever) is on a usb drive or stick with uefi. Go into windoz settings panel and tell it to rebuild. click usb (where your linux is plugged in) and windoz will think you have its own rebuild hooked up. It properly turns itself off and gives full control over to the usb drive/stick. It's like it was never there. No fussing with the bootloader is necessary.
b
df

Thanks Dry Falls. Nice that there is this interesting workaround to boot from USB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 9866
Location: Charleston S.C. USA

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov 2017, 07:57    Post subject:  

There is a small chance the file system on the ext4 partition is damaged.

It can be checked and fixed by using Gparted.
The ext4 partition must be unmounted to do this.
Start Gparted with the hard drive as the device selected.
Right click on the ext4 partition.
Select check

This will do a check of the ext4 file system and correct any errors it finds.

_________________
I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov 2017, 09:44    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Quote:
So, also let us know what label Xenialpup64 assigned to Linux formatted partition?

If we ask questions, we need answers????

Is the save just on the ext4 partition or is it in a directory(folder)?

If in A directory(folder).
What is it named?

If in a directory(folder). Is it one layer deep or multiple layers deep.
Example:
/some name/xenialpup64save
or
/some name/some name/some name/xeniapup64save


Hi bigpup
It is just in the ext4 partition, without folder.
The partition is not damaged. Previously, I worked perfectly with the Precise puppy under the same conditions
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sailor Enceladus

Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 1415

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov 2017, 10:18    Post subject:  

@morochos: The other two computers are also using the same Xenialpup usb and work? Are they Windows 10 machines also? I thought the difference was the new init, but if the other two machines load the savefile from HDD in the Xenialpup 7.5 usb automatically then maybe not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0597s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0047s) ][ GZIP on ]