Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Jan 2018, 14:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Last Puppy Slacko version installed from CD?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
Avery N. Sekur-Pearson

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 15:10    Post subject:  Last Puppy Slacko version installed from CD?
Subject description: 6 will only install from USB, looking for last one installable from CD

I've tried everything but my laptop simply won't boot from usb. Made it look like an HDD, a super floppy, etc.

I'd like to try installing 5.7.0 but I only have one CD left, so the next thing I burn is it for me. Does anyone know when the install-from-USB-only policy kicked in?
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 15:52    Post subject:  

Do not burn any new live puppy CD's.
Just use one you have.
Try to use the newest one.

Tell us what it is!!!

I assume the live CD boots OK.
Or is that the problem?

Are you talking about installing to a hard drive?
Booting with a live CD of Slacko.
Using the Universal installer to do the hard drive install.
If yes.
Give details.
You do what?
You see what?

CD drives, not working correctly, will cause anything to not work.
Dirty read heads.
Dust bunnies inside the drive.
Drive mechanicals going bad.
Etc.....

CD/DVD drives do not last forever.

bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 15:57    Post subject:  

About booting from a USB flash drive install of Puppy.

What is the computer?
Specs?
Or make and model?

How have you tried to install to USB?
We need details???

Unless you have a very, very, old computer, it should be able to boot from USB.

Avery N. Sekur-Pearson

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 16:26    Post subject:  

Acer TravelMate 4010, came out in 2005: 512mb ram, single core 1.6ghz cpu. No boot to USB option in BIOS.

I'm using the Puppy Slacko 6.3.0 Live CD. It boots up and runs fine, but it cannot install from the CD. With 512mb RAM I can't have Puppy sitting on my RAM, it leaves me with barely enough to do the simplest tasks.

Using the most recent version of Puppy Slacko I tried all the options to get a computer with no boot to usb option to work with a flash drive, including making the USB drive look like an HDD and a Floppy, neither would boot.

I need to do a Full Install to get back some of what little RAM I have, this ancient laptop would be at least decently usable for light stuff if I had all 512mb.

It IS a very, very old computer. I'm playing with it and trying to learn a bit about Linux while I wait to be able to afford a new desktop.

(I guess I could have included those details, but the question remains the same either way so earlier I left them out. In the future I'll put them in so anyone reading has a better understanding and knows why I'm asking the question)

Basically I just need to know what the most recent Puppy Slacko version that will do a full install from a live CD is.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 18:18    Post subject: PLoP Maybe  

Hi Avery,

Haven't tried it, but read the short thread on which this post can be found: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=648138#648138 The post provides a link to the PLoP package. Other links to PloP are broken.

Hopefully, someone else can help you initiate PLop from either a CD or maybe 'Lin & Win'.

mikesLr
6502coder

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 18:33    Post subject:  

@avery

You say your laptop won't boot from a USB...

I have a Compaq laptop from around 2003 that at first glance "won't boot from USB" -- except that it actually does. On my machine I'm supposed to hit ESC during the powerup to get into the BIOS menu that lets you select the boot device. This menu NEVER shows a USB as an option, even if one is plugged in.

However, if I instead hit F10 to go into the full BIOS setup menu, and navigate to the boot options menu, I find the USB flash drive is listed as a "hard drive." I can select the USB flash drive and boot from it successfully.

Thereafter, my laptop will continue to boot from USB drive as long as it is plugged in before I power up AND I have not booted from the hard drive in the interim. If I boot from the hard drive, I then have to do the BIOS dance again the next time I want to boot from a flash drive.

Perhaps your BIOS does something similar. Just a thought...
Avery N. Sekur-Pearson

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 19:12    Post subject:  

I go to the full boot menu, it was only after using Slacko 6.0.3 that I could actually use USB drives at all. Thanks for the advice, of course.

Not sure what a PLoP package is...

Anyway, just for the hell of it and because I was about ready to give up, I hit full install. And it installed from the CD. Haven't hopped on to check and make sure everything is working, but sounded like it.

I think it's just screwing with me at this point. I tried that 5x yesterday and so many other ways... and then it just works out of nowhere.

Ah well, I'll be happy once I start using it, heh.
perdido

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 20:17    Post subject:  

Since booting from usb with an Acer TravelMate 4010 was the original issue and there seems to be no solution, one might try the following.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/steps-to-boot-from-usb-hdd-pen-drive-explained.11953/
The referenced url was a discussion from 2005 in relation to trying to boot an acer travelmate from usb.
In the end they came up with this solution.

*** Its Possible to Boot from USB****

1- Plug in ur USB device BEFORE powering up.
2- Put USB drive on USB hub
3- Power UP
4- Enter BIOS through F2
5- Go to the "Boot" main menu
6- Left to the Harddrive you will see a "+" (plus" mark).
7- With the arrows select it (should be white).
8- Hit enter and voilà

In case of USB DVD/CDROM the methord is almost same, just change the boot option to cd rom

mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 20:29    Post subject: Add Ram &/or a Swap Drive  

Hi Avery,

Using Slacko 6.0.3, with only 516 Mb RAM is possible. But you'll get much better performance if you max out RAM to 1 Gb. See Specs: http://www.miniputer.com/Acer/TravelMate_4010.html. Will cost about $13 including shipping. https://www.amazon.com/PC2700-333MHz-LAPTOP-NOTEBOOK-200-Pin/dp/B00KFN4V2K/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_lp_tr_t_2/133-6782282-0503007?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XV9QTCR9RHDD4K7SBFM4. I'm 'all thumbs' but have had no problem installing RAM to netbooks. You'll find "How To's" on the Web, probably on youtube, perhaps for yours or a similar computer.

An alternative or additional method for enabling your system to provide smoother performance and to some extent have more applications opened or more browser tabs open is to add a Swap Drive or File. What a Swap does is enable your system to move files not currently in use out of RAM and into it when again needed. Its much slower than RAM, but better than having your system lockup or crash. FWIW, modern Web-browsers and the webpages they access are ram hogs.

I'm not sure if your Slacko has an application to create a SwapFile. You might try opening a terminal and typing, Code: pupswap.

If not, in order to create a Swapdrive, you'll have to reboot your CD and use Menu>System>gparted partition manager. Select the partition on which you've installed Slacko. When gparted opens you can Right-Click the line in the middle of the display identifying that partition and select resize. After resizing you'll see a new partition identified as unallocated. Right-Click it and select Format to linux-swap. The reason you'll have to boot your CD is so as not to mount the partition on which Slacko has been installed. gparted can not modify mounted partitions.

Even if you can create a Swapfile, it may be advisable to run gparted just to see how much of Slacko's drive/partition is already in use. You'll want to leave yourself plenty of room to grow. But even with only a 60 Gb hard drive you should have more than sufficient available space to create a 2 Gb Swap.

The common wisdom is that 'swap should be twice RAM'. Curious where that came from, I searched and discovered that it was a 'best guess' based not on experience with Swap but on how Linux handled some other application.

mikesLr
8Geee

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 21:29    Post subject:  

I see that the OP is using Slacko 6.

Slacko5.7-2018a is still viable for the machine. RAM usage will be about 300Mb. HDD install is possible by copying the main files into a 16Mb boot partition.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913

Good God!, by the stars in the sky we are lost!
And into the breach we got tossed!
And the world is comin' on fast! --Florence Welch
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 07:16    Post subject:  

There is a live Puppy CD boot option that will limit the use of ram by Puppy.

At the Puppy boot screen press F2 key.
At the boot option screen.
Enter:
Code:
puppy pfix=nocopy

This does not copy .sfs to RAM

This will make programs start a little slower, because they have to go to the CD to load from.
However, the basic use of ram by Puppy will be low.

fiskrond

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov 2017, 23:19    Post subject: Re: Last Puppy Slacko version installed from CD?
Subject description: 6 will only install from USB, looking for last one installable from CD

^^ what Perdido said...

*USB needs to plugged in before power-up*

Also, is your BIOS up-to-date.. may or may not be important, also depends how comfortable you are with doing this.. lot easier nowadays.. used to be brown-trousers time.. Very Happy
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec 2017, 12:24    Post subject:  

Quote:
Anyway, just for the hell of it and because I was about ready to give up, I hit full install. And it installed from the CD.

Avery N. Sekur-Pearson,

I bet your install from CD problem is the CD drive just having problems reading the CD.
Burn the CD at slow speeds. No faster than 8.
Make sure inside of CD drive is clean.
Make sure CD drive read lens is clean.
Make sure CD is clean and not all scratched up.

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: