XBMC or Kodi? Puppy Linux version 3.01

Booting, installing, newbie
souleau

#16 Post by souleau »

Forget about XBMC or Kodi running on a system with 256MB RAM, and playing youtube videos over the Internet will be an issue as well.

Your best bet, as far as I can asses, is to use youtube-dl to download the videos you want to see, and then watch them in mp4 format from the harddrive.

You may want to look at GTKplayYT:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100401

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, fatguy.

AFAIK, Ally's from the UK.....same as me. So; British English, I reckon.

32-bit P4? Yeah; that'll run Tahrpup 6.05, all right, but that's about all it will do. Your problem's gonna be that miniscule 256 MB RAM. You can get stuff done with it, but you'll do quite a bit of 'swapping'.....

You do have a swap file/partition set up, I trust? Tahr's recommended minimum is 512 MB, so.....

I've got a 15 yr old, 32-bit, Dell Inspiron 1100 lappie. Still going strong. Originally came with a Celly, 128 MB RAM, and a minute 20 GB HDD. After serious upgrading, it now sports a 'proper' P4, 2 GB RAM, and a 64 GB SSD. Plus a pair of SanDisk 128 GB 'Ultra Fit' nano USB drives as permanent 'external storage'.

Nowt wrong with the P4. That'll run forever. A bit more RAM would help, though; if you could make that up to a gig, you'd be laughing. There's not much call for DDR1 these days, so prices should be reasonable.....that's if you can find any.

And although Intel developed and marketed the P4 on the basis of being good at multimedia stuff, that was back in the days when even video encoding was very much simpler than it is now. The 32-bit P4s are pretty rubbish with modern video, TBH, unless you set 'em to a very low frame-rate, etc. The later 64-bit versions added not only SSE3s, but usually hyper-threading, too.....made a single core behave like a dual. And as for streaming? Nah, forget it. They just don't have the 'grunt' to be able to process the stuff fast enough. Souleau's suggestion about downloading then playing back from the hard drive makes an awful lot of sense with your specs.....

Mike. :wink:

fatguy

#18 Post by fatguy »

Thanks for the input guys.

I have an ati pci video card I found cheap on ebay for the system along with the 2 gigs ram max there as well.

After bills are covered I want to get those and throw em in, which will kinda bring it up to speed alone.

In the meantime Ill probably just leave it on the back burner. I like keeping these 32 bit dinosaurs going. Any of you guys get into the channel LGR on Youtube or some of the other old tech guys?

People think were nuts, but were not all made of money for top tech, and if its not broken, we know.

I think Ill have to get away from the legacy os release though and just get to standard issue puppy though, because a lot of things seem to be left out. In pup forums they say that simply clicking a sfs file is enough to mount it, but in LOS it says that it doesn't know what to do with it. So, even though I really liked the LOS idea, it still leaves a lot out in terms of functionality.

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

Yep, LegacyOS takes some getting used to. It's more along the lines of the older, traditional Linux distros. Everything needs to be done manually, and a lot of Pup's built-in functionality (which we all tend to take for granted, TBH), simply isn't there.

Personally, I love keeping 'old dinosaurs' going. To me, if they're still functional, and everything still works as it should, where on earth is the point in adding to the world's landfill problems?

My 'main' machine is a 2004/5 Compaq Presario desktop (from prior to HP's takeover, after which Compaq was relegated to just a name in HP's shoddy line-up.....a sad end for an originally cutting-edge company), running a dual-core Athlon 64 X2. Everything still works, so.....why not?

(It might not cope with modern Windoze very well.....but with Puppy, it absolutely flies!)
I have an ati pci video card I found cheap on ebay for the system along with the 2 gigs ram max there as well.

After bills are covered I want to get those and throw em in, which will kinda bring it up to speed alone.
Sounds like a plan. P4s are slow & stately by modern standards, but.....they'll still get the job done. And the extra RAM will help.....a lot.

Mike. :wink:

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

fatguy - i have some questions:

- how do you run puppy - from a CD boot? Or from a hard drive install?

- do you have a "swap" partition configured on a hard drive?

If you do not have a swap partition yet I would recommend you format a hard drive or a usb stick with a swap partition.

Then I would recommend you try booting Slacko 5.6 and see if it boots.

If it boots we can look at what browser gives you the best results.

hamoudoudou

quickpet my tahrpup 583

#21 Post by hamoudoudou »

quickpet my tahrpup 583 (home puplet)
from PPM : not better.
Attachments
xbmc.jpg
ah ? a réparer
(65.96 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

Argolance

#22 Post by Argolance »

Hamoudoudou wrote:quickpet my tahrpup 583 (home puplet)
from PPM : not better.