Who's treated themselves to some new hardware recently?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Mike Walsh

#76 Post by Mike Walsh »

The final piece of the 'puzzle' turned up today.

A couple of years ago, I went through a spell of what I can only assume to be RSI in my right wrist. It cleared up after a while, but I've always been wary ever since about using a mouse for too long at a time.

Over the course of the last year, there's been an explosion of what are termed 'ergonomic mice' on the market. They look odd, essentially being a normal mouse, but being turned through around 60° on the lengthways axis. The idea being that, unlike usage of a 'normal' mouse, where you keep your hand horizontal with your wrist angled slightly up & back all the time, these allow you to hold your mouse in a far more natural, and presumably more comfortable, position. More importantly, where the former puts strain on the nerve bundle where it passes through the bones of your wrist, the ergonomic types keep everything in much more of a straight line, thereby obviating the chances of getting RSI.

I tried one of these types of mouse at our local PCWorld back in January, and was surprised by how comfortable they are, despite feeling 'odd' initially. Other concerns drove it out of my mind till the other day, when I came across an article on these items on one of the 'tech blogs', and thought, 'Yes; time to sort myself out one of these things'. And so I have.

After scouting around on Amazon & eBay, I've settled for one of these:-

https://www.prohavit.com/products/hv-ms ... cal-mouse/

Strange-looking beast, indeed:-

.....yet unbelievably comfortable in use. Havit themselves refer to this as a 'bionic snail design' (!!) :? Time will, of course, tell as to what it's like over an extended period of usage, but initial impressions are encouraging so far....

We shall see.

Mike. :wink:

Gobbi

#77 Post by Gobbi »

This month I got a new laptop . I usually like a desktop but my work makes me travel a bit more lately and so , I opted for a laptop .
It is a Schenker Work 15 . They let you decide what to add for components , starting from a minimum . So I spared not paying for an
internal SSD ( or hard drive ) - I don't use them , and took minimum of upgradable RAM . It took a month to get it due to the lockdown .
It has a good i7-9750H processor , that's what made me look at this option , too . Integrated graphics with a 15" IPS FHD panel , but it's fine for me ,
I'm not a gaming guy and I don't work with professional graphic content . I was happy to recycle some RAM left from a previous NUC .
And , it came with no Windows , of course . It's a total UEFI machine and , it came with no keys at all . Actually I had to learn a bit about
UEFI to understand how to manage it . I delayed this as much as I could but ...
With Secure Boot disabled ( it came this way ) and a USB flash , GPT partitioned , with Fatdog64 installed on it in UEFI mode the laptop
worked from the start . Many thanks for that to @jamesbond who gave many useful informations about the process and also made
Fatdog64 UEFI bootable a while ago . Later , editing the grub.cfg file allowed me to add and boot several Pups from the same flash drive .
It's a total UEFI machine because there is no CSM , no legacy mode , only UEFI operating systems can boot . And guess what , not even a 32 bit
OS can boot . Strictly UEFI booting ISO's .
I tried and , after the UEFI and GRUB part do their job , the system hangs on a black screen or the splash image if the ISO has any . I think
the firmware doesn't allow it because the CPU is able of running 32 bit . So it's a machine designed looking to the future and not to the past .
Thank God I could still disable Secure Boot . Yes I can still test 32 bit systems in a virtual machine but not directly on this hardware .
I tried Xenialpup and Bionicpup which boot fine in Qemu in UEFI mode . The same Bionicpup with a 64 bit kernel inside instead of the 32 bit one
boots fine on the laptop ( thanks for the tip @peebee ) . Fatdog64 : 721 with kernel 4.14.12 , 800 with 4.19.92 kernel and 810 with 5.3.15 are working fine .
Even 700 and 710 boot to the desktop but those kernels gave me no sound and no network , which I'm not surprised . LxPupSc64 with a 5.0.3.kernel has
no problems , actually I have direct rendering and the best picture with it . I even tried to boot Lighthouse Pup ( 64 bit ) from @Tazoc and I noticed that the
UEFI process went well but then the 3.8.7 kernel went on panic and froze . So from 64 bit kernel 4.14.12 onward , it works well .
On the other hand the laptop works fast , heavy tasks are now a breeze and it has no issues with connectivity . My last laptop lived 8 years and I hope this
one can last as much . It's not cheap but I'm glad I could take it , choosing the barebone of it .
I'm afraid there will be computers in the future without the choice to disabe Secure Boot . Even this one was designed to be as much compatible
with Windows - the illuminated keyboard has a program for Windows 10 to handle various configurations , even turn illumination off . In all Pups it remains blu .
Linux friendly ? I would say yes ( assuming UEFI is now unavoidable on new consumer hardware ) but not to very old operating systems .

8Geee

#78 Post by 8Geee »

An iPad7 & Pencil. hasn't arrived yet.
Need it for better communication than my ASUS eee.
Have no fear, the Atomic Pup is still the daily driver.
The iPad7 is needed for video conference/ wifi comm/ on the road.

Fortunately my Laser Printer is wifi enabled JIC.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Moose On The Loose

#79 Post by Moose On The Loose »

audio-technica headphones seem to work ok.
Yes a thing working rates as a special feature

https://myboogieboard.com/
Not exactly hi-tech but they work to not need paper for writing down dimensions before getting out the saw and stuff like that.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#80 Post by Flash »

I found a flat bed scanner in an alley, so it's new to me. :) As far as I can tell, it's in perfect working order.
But it uses a parallel port connection and I haven't been able to get it to work in Bionicpup64. :( http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118649

Mike Walsh

#81 Post by Mike Walsh »

Flash wrote:I found a flat bed scanner in an alley, so it's new to me. :) As far as I can tell, it's in perfect working order.
But it uses a parallel port connection and I haven't been able to get it to work in Bionicpup64. :( http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118649
I'm guessing you'd need something like one of these, Flash:-

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Parallel+to+USB+Adapter

But I'm doubtful as to whether a 4-series kernel would still retain driver compatibility for parallel-port stuff......and that's before you start looking around for software that would work with such an elderly item.

I wish you luck with it, but you may face an uphill struggle.

rockedge

#82 Post by rockedge »

I think I can make a kernel that will support parallel ports....these are important for connecting to CNC machines and there has been some work done to include this in a Puppy Linux.

I may look into what it will require....otherwise there must be an adapter!

Any way these modules must be present in the kernel for Linux to access the port. And can be included I think in a series 4 or 5 kernel if so specified

Code: Select all

parport
parport_pc
ppdev

ozsouth

#83 Post by ozsouth »

@rockedge, my 5.4.8 kernel has parport & parport_pc as modules, but ppdev 'is not set' - DOTconfig is easily changed for a new compile.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#84 Post by Flash »

Thanks for the help, guys. In a separate thread, perdido found a Windows program that might work the scanner in Windows XP. I downloaded it but haven't tried it. I'd rather get the scanner working in Puppy. In the same post, perdido mentions several possible Linux programs that might do the job. I haven't looked into them yet.

@rockedge, if by "adapter" you mean a USB-to-parallel port adapter cord, I have two that I found in a junk pile at work. Puppy sees the converter chip in them. The adapter cords are cheap, less than $15, and readily available. They were intended for use with printers but I don't see why they won't work with any IEEE-1284 compliant device. This pdf even says they work with Linux and gives some instructions on how to proceed, but the instructions don't do me much good because apparently Bionicpup doesn't have all the stuff it needs and I don't have any sort of driver for the scanner.

Mike Walsh

#85 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well, I've now taken the plunge & done a wee bit to 'future-proof' this new Pavilion tower where I can.

It came with 4 GB of DDR4 RAM, which I promptly doubled to 8 GB. I've now taken this to the next level, and treated myself to a 16 GB kit from Crucial.

My usual suppliers, Offtek here in the UK, wanted around GBP £100 for two 8 GB sticks by the time delivery costs were factored into it. I'd always thought Crucial were even more expensive, but was pleasantly surprised to find a 16 GB kit, with delivery, was nearly £30 less.....

So I 'went for it'..!

I think the 'Coffee Lake' Pentium G5400 should remain capable for a long time.

rockedge

#86 Post by rockedge »

Hello Mike!

I also have 8 gigs on one machine and 16 gigs in another..both run Puppy's,Dog's, and WeeDoglinux's very well. I have like 15 - 30 variations of Puppy Linux alone on just one of the disk drives and I can't decide which runs the fastest or smoothest....so close hard to tell. That amount of RAM running lets say a Bionic64 opens up wide the possibilities of RAM intensive work like editing video, graphics or recording audio and producing electronic music

I do have a 2002 IBM T-42 laptop that just cranks on UPUP 3.9.9.2 Raring with 1 gig and an ancient CPU. Can't kill it...no battery, no hard drive and it's one of the most reliable working dogs I have laying around in semi-retirement

bigpup

#87 Post by bigpup »

Just got a new HP Stream 14 laptop.
Got it at that big box store, on clearance, for a ridicules low price ($138)
Has Intel Celeron N4000 processor
Intel UHD Graphics 600
4GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
32GB internal emmc drive
WIFI
3 USB ports
HDMI port.

Had Windows 10s on it, but that is totally removed.
It now, only has a frugal install of Bionicpup64 8.0.
Everything on it is working OK, with Puppy Linux.

Windows 10s was using up 16GB of that 32GB internal drive. :roll:

Makes a nice Puppy Linux laptop.

Has a normal UEFI bios, that was easy to setup to boot, something other than Windows.

Now I have to load it up, with probably, a few other versions of Puppy. :D :D
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#88 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ bigpup:-

Image Image

dancytron

#89 Post by dancytron »

I bought an:
HP 2540P NOTEBOOK PC - 12.1" DISPLAY - INTEL I7-640LM CORE I7 2.13GHZ CPU - 160GB HDD - 4GB RAM - DVDRW that originally had Windows 7 on it.

for $95 including shipping and sales tax from the giant computer leasing/recycling warehouse.

It is an HP Elite Book, which is HP extra nice executive line of laptops.

Stretch Puppy, Tahr Puppy, Precise puppy all booted from a manual frugal install and appear to work in all respects, including wi-fi. Bluetooth not tested.

Debian Dog stretch installation from my other computer pasted over and works.

My main instance has become a Debian Dog Buster with Chrome from the build script.

Bill's bluetooth tool works flawlessly.

I like it. It has a great keyboard and a very well built expensive feel to it.

It's the golden age of cheap computers.