Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Oct 2018, 03:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Which version to use for booting from CD/DVD on MacBook Pro
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mr108

PostPosted: Sat 25 Nov 2017, 00:13    Post subject:  Which version to use for booting from CD/DVD on MacBook Pro  

Hello,

I'm completely new in this and never used Linux. I have MacBook Pro early 2001, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, Intel Graphics 3000, 384MB, with 4 GB memory. Most of the time I'm running Windows 7 on it, installed with Bootcamp.

I'd like to boot my laptop from CD/DVD or pendrive using Puppy.

Which version should I use?

Thanks for any help
cthisbear

PostPosted: Sat 25 Nov 2017, 06:43    Post subject:  

Did you mean 2011???

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp645?locale=en_US

Others will assist...hang in there mate.

Welcome to Puppy.

Chris.
mr108

PostPosted: Sat 25 Nov 2017, 07:41    Post subject:  

cthisbear wrote:
Did you mean 2011???
https://support.apple.com/kb/sp645?locale=en_US
Others will assist...hang in there mate.
Welcome to Puppy.
Chris.

Thanks Chris,

Yes, of course I meant 2011 model
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 25 Nov 2017, 08:26    Post subject:  

With that hardware any of the newer Puppies should work.
Tahrpup 6.0.5 or 6.0.6
Xenialpup 7.5
Slacko 5.7
Slacko 6.9.9.9 which will be Slacko 7.0. Still being tested.
Artfullpup (still in testing)

Probably want the 64 bit versions of any of these, but 32 bit versions will work too.

Look in the Puppy Projects section of the forum to get any of them.

Just because a Puppy version is in testing, is no reason to not try it.
Help with the testing and give back something to Puppy.
They are not released to testing until they work OK, but still have minor issues and well, need to get used to find out what works and what does not.
The developer of a Puppy version does not have a room full of computers, so running on different hardware, by us users, helps them to work out any remaining bugs.

With Puppy you just have to try some and see which one you like.
Each version is slightly different.

If you have any problems we will help you work them out.

Just do it!

Linux and Puppy is not MAC OS.
So learn, you must!

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:39    Post subject:  

Hi mr108,

You may not need to employ it. But you should be aware of Ted Dog's "No-format install for UEFI based machines Win8 & MacTel": http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=818727#818727.

And if you later run into any problems, it may help to run a dedicated google search by plugging in "Mac" and some keyword into http://wellminded.net63.net/

FYI, several recent Puppies have a "uefi" as part of their ISO's name. This indicates that they include the signature sought by EFI and UEFI boot mechanisms. They can be booted on computers which don't require them, on which computers the presence of such signature will just be ignored.

mikesLr
mr108

PostPosted: Sat 25 Nov 2017, 20:28    Post subject:    

bigpup wrote:
With that hardware any of the newer Puppies should
If you have any problems we will help you work them out.
Just do it!
Linux and Puppy is not MAC OS.
So learn, you must!

Thanks for help and encouragement. I'll look through these different options.
Yes, I realize it's not Mac OS and I'm hardly using the Mac OS side - almost exclusively Windows 7. And I'm not afraid of learning new things.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 26 Nov 2017, 19:24    Post subject:  

Hi mr108,

I know almost nothing about Macs. The reason I mentioned Ted Dog's app and Puppies designed for use with uefi computers has to do with the way computers are manufactured, not the operating system it originally ran.

Newer computers manufactured to run some Windows 8 or later operating systems employ a boot mechanism which will only allow booting operating systems and peripherals that present a signature. That mechanism has the acronym UEFI = Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. Some contemporaneous Mac have similar mechanism named EFI.

It doesn't matter than you rarely use the Mac Operating system. The question is whether the computer was constructed to require a conforming operating system. And while your Windows 7 may not have been, then again, it might have.

Although there (at least for 'Windows computers') workarounds, if your computer's default is to require a UEFI or EFI signature, it might just be easier to get your first Puppy up and running if Ted Dog's application and/or an UEFI compliant Puppy were chosen.

mikesLr
mr108

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov 2017, 05:55    Post subject:  

I found that there is a EFI Firmware Update 2.7 for my laptop
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1499?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
which means that it's using EFI mechanism. In that case should I use a particular version of puppy?
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov 2017, 10:42    Post subject:  

The Puppies with UEFI in there iso file names are suppose to boot on a UEFI bios, without having to do any bios setting changes.
Example:
xenialpup64-7.5-uefi.iso

However, all UEFI bios computers are suppose to have options, in the bios setup, to disable secure boot and or enable legacy boot.

Using one or both of those settings will let any version of Puppy boot.

mr108

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov 2017, 11:43    Post subject:  

The whole thing with UEFI and BIOS settings may not be applicable to my computer since I cannot access the BIOS - is there any such thing on Mac computers?
And EFI on Mac is not the same as UEFI - see here:
http://puppylinux.com/arch.html

Hmm...
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov 2017, 12:13    Post subject:  

Hi mr108,

Regarding ISO with the uefi designation: All that means is that they contain the necessary uefi signature. They will boot from non-uefi computers, the uefi signature being ignored during the boot process.

Keep in mind that none of my computers are macs nor require uefi.

666philb has recently published xenialpup64-7.5-uefi. It has newer versions of applications, bug-fixes, and improvements over xenialpup64-7.0.8.6-uefi. On the other hand, creating ISO is a complicated task and nobody is perfect. So it may also have some new issues. The initial release of Xenialpup64 was in June 2016. Shortly thereafter it became my principal OS, upgraded as issues were discovered and resolved resulting in the '7.0.8.6' publication. Since applications, themselves can be upgraded, I'd tried both and see which operating system works best on your computer. Both can be downloaded from here:https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Xenialpup64.

FYI: ally maintains archive.org. Although it is not exclusively concerned with Puppy Linux, AFAIK, most Puppy versions can be found there from the time Puppy was an abacus. Smile

There are links to the above, as well as many other ISOs, from the Projects and Derivatives Subsections of the Forum, and the first post of any thread will usually provide a link to the latest ISO. But accessing ally's archive.org should reduce your need to search most things 'Puppy'.

Xenialpups are built with the binaries used in Ubuntu Xenial Xerus. The 'Slackos', are built from Slackware binaries by 01micko, one of our most talented Devs. I don't follow the development of Slackos as closely. Slackware, and by derivation Slackos, places a greater emphasis on stability than on providing applications with the latest 'bells and whistles'. Slackos have been reported on this Forum to provide sound and graphics superior to 'Ubuntus' on some computers. You can find several Slacko64-uefi versions from here:https://archive.org/search.php?query=Slacko64

You may notice that Ted Dog, creator of the No-Format install for UEFI application has a MacTel --which I think is a Mac employing Intel-- and booted FatDogs http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97141. The FatDogs are the creations of kirk and jamesbond. While their 'Puppies' don't bear the uefi designation, it was kirk and jamesbond who provided all puppies with the required uefi signatures and did most (all?) of the work necessary to utilize it. The easiest place to find FatDog64 ISOs: https://archive.org/search.php?query=Fatdog

As bigpup mentioned, it is very likely that many 32-bit Puppies will also run on your computer. There are advantages to running 32-bits among which are that they generally run faster, with less 'overhead' and --if you want to run Windows applications under Wine-- already being 32-bit-- don't require loading a 32-bit compatibility layer (almost an entire operating system).

Two years ago, Icake examined 80 Puppies and reported which worked and which didn't on his efi-iMac: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=102158

But I'd leave such exploration for later. For now, I'd recommend trying the 64-bits, perhaps with Xenialpup64 being the first to try.

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 12:54; edited 2 times in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov 2017, 12:47    Post subject: Postpone everything else -- try xenialpup64-7.0.8.6  

Hi,

I think we --especially me-- are over-thinking this: "crossing bridges before I come to them." Embarassed

Try xenialpup64-7.0.8.6-uefi from here: https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Xenialpup64. There may be no problems at all, no bridges to cross.

Let's find out if there are. Or, if not, whether you want to build some. Wink

mikesLr
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 07:32    Post subject:  

mr108,

Stop standing at the gate to the Puppy play ground.
Open the gate and dive into one of the Puppy versions.

Only going to find out what happens by doing it!!

mr108

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 14:05    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
mr108,
Stop standing at the gate to the Puppy play ground.
Open the gate and dive into one of the Puppy versions.
Only going to find out what happens by doing it!!

Thanks for encouragement Smile
You are not aware where I am and what it means. Living higher up in the mountains in Himalayas with a super slow mobile internet connection means it takes couple of days just to download the 300MB iso file. Then other things came in between, like power brakes etc - everything in India takes 10 x longer time...
ally

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 14:13    Post subject:  

I can post you a dvd full of puppies if you have local post

Smile

ok, posting a dvd

guys what versions to send, bk's quirkies, tahrpup, xenial, slacko, x-slackos, debian dogs????

Last edited by ally on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 14:30; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: