FF 45.9.0 ESR incompatable with newly updated Banking Portal

Booting, installing, newbie
Alberz

FF 45.9.0 ESR incompatable with newly updated Banking Portal

#1 Post by Alberz »

(Setup - HP Compaq 6720s - Slacko 64 Puppy 6.3.0 - Flash Drive install)

Hi, I've been using Puppy Linux for a couple of years for secure Online Banking and just ran into trouble when trying to access My Banks newly updated site.

It appears that FF 45.9.0 ESR is no longer a suitable browser for the banking portal - Is there a way to install an updated browser to Puppy 64?
If not, does anyone have recommendations for an alternative Linux Distro with a more up-to date Browser, suitable for USB install?

The Banks site lists the Minimum Browser requirements as follows :

The latest versions of the following browsers:

Google Chrome
Microsoft Edge
Internet explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox

Minimum Settings

Session Cookies Enabled
JavaScript/Scripting Enabled

Code: Select all

https://www.heritage.com.au/help-centre/system-requirements

Help would be most welcome !

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

The newest version of Firefox should work for you. The only hiccup is getting the sound to work. I assume your bank doesn't need sound.

It comes as a compressed file. Unzip it to /opt/ and then go into /opt/firefox and click on the file called firefox. (you can really unzip it anywhere, including on your drive outside the filesystem, but /opt is the usual place to put it). For convenience you can drag the firefox file to your desktop to make a shortcut.
https://download.mozilla.org/?product=f ... lang=en-US

Search for "apulse" for how to get the sound working.

Alberz

#3 Post by Alberz »

Thanks very much for your help dancytron.

Sorry, but could I please ask what "opt" stands for?

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

Alberz wrote:Thanks very much for your help dancytron.

Sorry, but could I please ask what "opt" stands for?
Just a wild guess, but I think "optional." It is the standard place to put big programs that are separate from the main operating system.

Alberz

#5 Post by Alberz »

Thanks again.

I've now got to the point where the unzipped files show in XArchive0.2.8.6 - but now am lost as to how to proceed with the installation.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Click on select all.
Click on extract.
A window will pop up asking where to exact to:
Put this as the location

/opt
Select OK.

After it completes the install.
Navigate to directory /opt
Should be a directory for Firefox.
All the Firefox files are in it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Alberz

#7 Post by Alberz »

Thanks bigpup.

I have the files extracted and am viewing them in opt.

I've tried right clicking on the file named simply firefox nothing happens - so I tried left clicking and selecting "open with" and again I'm not sure how to proceed from here!

P.S Thanks again for your help Guys!

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

You left click on the firefox file.

It may take a few seconds to open the firefox browser window.
5 or 6 seconds for me.

This is going to be a 64bit version of Firefox.
It should work in Slacko 64.

This one:
Attachments
capture21544.jpg
(95.04 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

Alberz

#9 Post by Alberz »

Thanks bigup.

When I left click the following comes up in a dialog box.
No run action specified for files of this type(aplicatio/x-excutable) - you can set run action by choosing 'Set Run Action' from the file menu, or you can just drag the file to an application.

Note: If this is a computer program which you want to run, you need to set the execute bit by choosing Permissions from the File menu.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

In the PPM(puppy package manager)
You can do a search for firefox.
It may offer a newer version of firefox esr to try.

Firefox is just getting to be one big piece of, nothing but trouble, to get working.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

You should not even be getting that error.

Right click on the firefox file.
Choose properties.
Does it look like this?
Attachments
capture7013.png
(28.98 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

Alberz

#12 Post by Alberz »

Yeah sorry that error happened when clicking on a copy of the FF exe that I put on the desk top. Nothing happens when I click on the file in the opt.

One difference for Me to your screen grab is the following "Extended attributes Not supported"

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

Try deleting the firefox directory from /opt to uninstall what you installed.
Start over.
Get a new download of the Firefox from their web site.
Install the new one.

Could be, I hope, a bad download/install.

Are you having fun ,Yet?
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

Yeah sorry that error happened when clicking on a copy of the FF exe that I put on the desk top.
Do this by dragging and dropping the firefox file to the desktop.
That should make it work as a desktop icon to click on.

Not sure exactly why this is being so much trouble for you, but we will figure it out.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Alberz

#15 Post by Alberz »

Thanks bigpup I'l try starting over.

I really appreciate your help, as secure banking is important to me.

By the way is there an easy way to access 'opt' directly as I got to it via the FF save files before ?

I managed to upload a previous screen shot of firefox permissions showing the differences with your install - which include "Extended Attributes Not Supported" and "uses shared libs" instead of "interpreter"

Do you think I may need to uninstall FF 45.9.0 ESR before installing FF 57 ?
Last edited by Alberz on Sun 19 Nov 2017, 09:53, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

Click on the desktop file icon.
Rox (File manager) opens in the /root directory.
Click on the up arrow at top left of Rox window.
That goes to the top most directory.
opt should be in it.

I am going now.
Look in on this later today.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Alberz

#17 Post by Alberz »

Thanks to your help bigpup - I'm starting to find my way around Puppy a little bit better.

Just tried installing Opera Browser and ran into the same problems ...
ie In Opera properties I get "Extended Attributes Not Supported" and "uses shared libs" instead of "interpreter"

Sailor Enceladus

#18 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Alberz wrote:Thanks bigup.

When I left click the following comes up in a dialog box.
No run action specified for files of this type(aplicatio/x-excutable) - you can set run action by choosing 'Set Run Action' from the file menu, or you can just drag the file to an application.

Note: If this is a computer program which you want to run, you need to set the execute bit by choosing Permissions from the File menu.
I think maybe something screwed up your run command in your Rox / file manager. If I go to Setup -> PuppyApps Default Applications Chooser and then System, it says I have "xrun" as App runner, is that what you have?

If you can't get it to work, you can also try running it from Console/Terminal by typing something like this:

cd /opt
ls
cd firefox
./firefox
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(50.46 KiB) Downloaded 348 times

mikeslr

Try Crhomium 57 SFS

#19 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Alberz,

While you and others explore how to get a version of Firefox or some other web-browser running, as an interim measure, you may want to try chromium64_57.0.2987.98+pepper_25.0.0.148_lx.sfs, available from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 953#950953. Note, this is the one with the designation 64 and lacking the designation i486 which is also available from that post.

Chromium provides the source code used by google-chrome. Consequently, Chromium should meet your Bank's 'google-chrome' requirements. I just ran this version on Slacko64-6.9.9.9-uefi-4.9-FF-LO, booted without a SaveFile/Folder. I sfs-loaded it, and it opened without any difficulty,

This SFS, published in April, is not the latest available. But, I don't usually run Slackos and a couple later versions of both chromium and google-chrome I tried didn't start immediately. I sure any problems with later versions could be resolved, but I wanted to suggest something which worked OOTB.

Perhaps an email to Mike Walsh who both runs Slackos and publishes and Google-chrome and Chromium SFSes to join the conversation would be productive.

I almost always run Xenialpup64 and it has no problem with the latest Google-chrome SFS. If nothing else works, you might want to add a frugal install Xenialpup64 for those occasions when you need to do internet banking.

mikesLr

mikeslr

Currently posting from firefox64-57 on Slacko64-6.9.9.9

#20 Post by mikeslr »

HI again,

As the title says, I'm "Currently posting from firefox64-57 on Slacko64-6.9.9.9".

Note, I did not boot without its SaveFile. So I don't know if anything you installed or I installed would result in some difference,

Caution: first export a copy of your bookmarks so you can later import them.

Download firefox from here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

A file named firefox-57.0.tar.bz will show up in your download folder. Extract it: Right-click and from the popup menu select "Extract with pArchive".

A folder named 'firefox' will be created. Leave that window opened.

Open a second rox window to /opt: open rox, click the "home" button (looks like a house). Click the Up-Arrow. Click the folder named opt.

Left-Press, Hold, then drag the firefox folder into the opt window and select Move. Click the firefox folder to see its contents. Leave it open. [If you want to frequently reach a folder, while it is opened, click rox's bookmark tool and select 'Add'. On my current setup, it is the third icon from the left on rox's toolbar and looks like an arrow pointing to a ball. Leaving your mouse-cursor on a toolbar icon for a couple of seconds will produce a Tool-tip as to what it is. As we may need to easily reach the this folder after restarting-x, I suggest you do this now. You can always remove a bookmark later).

In your other OTHER rox window, click the Home button to open rox to your Home folder. Now, click rox's EYE to show hidden files. You should see a folder named .mozilla. It contains the settings for firefox, including your bookmarks. [Possibly, those settings interfered with your efforts to run a newer version]. Right-Click the folder and select delete or rename it to something else if you later have to revert. Perhaps name it .old-mozilla.

Having deleted the .mozilla file, I was able immediately to start firefox by left-clicking /opt/firefox/firefox. It created a new hidden /root/.mozilla folder. YMMV, you may also have to perform all of the following:

Left-click rox's up-Arrow and you'll see several folders, one named /usr. Left-Click it, then Left-Click the folder named 'share'. Then Left-click the folder named 'applications'. Scroll until you see the file named 'mozilla-firefox.desktop'. Right-click it and select from the popup menu 'Open As Text'.

You'll see a line which reads "Exec=firefox". It is pointing toward the version of firefox which was built into your Slacko. Edit it to read "/opt/firefox/firefox" so that it will point to your new version.

Restart-x: Menu>Shutdown>Restart X (AKA Graphical Server). This causes Puppies to re-catalog what are now on their systems.

Menu>Internet>firefox should now start your new firefox. You can check whether it is version 57 by clicking the icon at the top-right (3 parallel horizontal lines) then selecting Help, then selecting About. It should be 57.

If everything is OK, don't forget to Save. And before Saving you can now delete the '/root/.old-mozilla' folder and import your bookmarks. Otherwise, if you've properly setup your frugal install you should be able to reboot without Saving and be back were you started. About such setup see this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 834#966834

mikesLr