Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
radky

Re: rox drive id

#661 Post by radky »

WiZard wrote:On my system I have 1 hard drive with 2 partitions so the desktop shows icons sda1 and sda2. All my frugal installs are in sda1. When I mount sda1 the rox title bar identifies it as: /initrd/mnt/dev_save . The previous versions of puppy I've used including slacko 6.3, puppy 5.7.1 and lucid 5.28 all identiify sda1 as: /mnt/home which I find much more logical.

Is there a way to change rox's behavior in 7.5 to identify the home partition as: /mnt/home?
Hi WiZard,

Concerning the ROX Filer title bar, I'm not aware of configuration options that would allow user control of the mounted-partition label.

Looking beyond ROX Filer, since the release of legacy versions of Puppy such as lucid 5.28, there have been multiple updates of the pup-event code responsible for mounting and displaying partitions when you click desktop drive icons. This could impact the designated labels of drive partitions.

Maybe others will have additional comments.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

rerwin

#662 Post by rerwin »

I submitted Issue #1519 to the woof-CE project to address the /mnt/home problem.

There seems to be a workaround, although changing woodenshoe-wi's version of roxfiler might be a better solution.

mikeslr

#663 Post by mikeslr »

Since I've never advised my cats that they weren't dogs, they don't mind adorning my dpup-stretch desktop; or, for that matter, my computer, my chair, the Out house table or any other place which they fancy.

Well, candor requires that I mention that's not really a picture of one of my cats. I flinched it from the web. Perhaps violating someone's copyright. Just be warned.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
My current desktop
(199.67 KiB) Downloaded 977 times

radky

#664 Post by radky »

mikeslr wrote:Since I've never advised my cats that they weren't dogs, they don't mind adorning my dpup-stretch desktop...
Thanks for sharing! :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

radky

#665 Post by radky »

rerwin wrote:I submitted Issue #1519 to the woof-CE project to address the /mnt/home problem.
The upcoming RC-6 will include the Woof-CE fix for the /mnt/home issue.

Thanks rerwin.

cthisbear

#666 Post by cthisbear »

mikeslr:

" Well, candor requires that I mention that's not really a picture of
one of my cats. "

So...Paw form from you.

Cheers...Chris.

cthisbear

#667 Post by cthisbear »

Double post

lizardidi

#668 Post by lizardidi »

Hi all. Recently I tried to boot Dpup Stretch 7.5 on a UEFI enabled Lenovo Zenbook laptop. My dpup stretch is frugally installed on a 32 gb Toshiba usb 2.0 pendrive. I booted dpup on various older pc and laptop using the same pendrive.

On the Zenbook laptop, I disabled Security boot, enabled Usb boot, yet I unable to detect usb in the UEFI boot option.

My question: is Dpup Stretch can boot via UEFI, or should I switch to Legacy boot? (ps: tried Legacy boot option, it detected my Toshiba usb, but unable to boot into Dpup Stretch.)

phat7

#669 Post by phat7 »

@radky
Is BusterPup the successor of Dpup Stretch or will you continue to develop them both? If so, how are they different?

One more thing: Directory /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons used to contain lots of mini icons. Now only three!
Is this on purpose? I use these icons quite a lot and changing all my symlinks is not what I would like to do.

radky

#670 Post by radky »

lizardidi wrote:Hi all. Recently I tried to boot Dpup Stretch 7.5 on a UEFI enabled Lenovo Zenbook laptop. My dpup stretch is frugally installed on a 32 gb Toshiba usb 2.0 pendrive. I booted dpup on various older pc and laptop using the same pendrive.

On the Zenbook laptop, I disabled Security boot, enabled Usb boot, yet I unable to detect usb in the UEFI boot option.

My question: is Dpup Stretch can boot via UEFI, or should I switch to Legacy boot? (ps: tried Legacy boot option, it detected my Toshiba usb, but unable to boot into Dpup Stretch.)
Hi lizardidi,

The k4.1.48 iso is for older hardware. I assume you are using Dpup Stretch 7.5 RC5 with k4.19.56 which provides better support for recent hardware.

Yes, Dpup Stretch supports EFI booting.

However, my PCs are not UEFI capable, so my personal experience is limited.

Maybe other forum members with practical UEFI experience will provide recommendations.

radky

#671 Post by radky »

phat7 wrote:
Is BusterPup the successor of Dpup Stretch or will you continue to develop them both? If so, how are they different?
Dpup Stretch is built with binaries from Debian 9 (oldstable release) and BusterPup is built from Debian 10 (current stable release).

Package support for Dpup Stretch will continue for the next 3 years compared to 5 years for BusterPup. I hope to provide updates and bug fixes for both releases, at least for the near term. Hopefully, our many long-term forum members will feel free to answer general-use questions presented by new members.

phat7 wrote:
One more thing: Directory /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons used to contain lots of mini icons. Now only three!
Is this on purpose? I use these icons quite a lot and changing all my symlinks is not what I would like to do.
Most of the original icons in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons were removed from Woof-CE Pups in 2015. Please see the following link:

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... issues/560

phat7

#672 Post by phat7 »

radky wrote:Most of the original icons in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons were removed from Woof-CE Pups in 2015. Please see the following link:

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... issues/560
Thank you, very interesting. ONE guy finds these icons useless and proposes that "we" should remove them. Another guy agrees. Done!
Explains a lot of funny changes in woof-CE.

ozsouth

#673 Post by ozsouth »

For anyone who is unaware:- the proposer of the change Phat7 mentioned, 01micko, is the ordained successor of the originator of Puppy Linux, BarryK. Zigbert is a long time developer. Mavrothal continues to develop. There is some discussion about a fork of Legacy Woof (Base Puppy Development system), for those unhappy with the current direction.

foxpup

#674 Post by foxpup »

lizardidi wrote: My dpup stretch is frugally installed on a 32 gb Toshiba usb 2.0 pendrive. I booted dpup on various older pc and laptop using the same pendrive.

Have you put a uefi binary and configuration file (grub2 or rEFInd, maybe syslinux (???)) on your Toshiba pendrive?
You probably have just grub4dos installed.

But if you could do legacy mbr boot, why bother.
What happens if you try legacy boot? Where does it stop and does it report anything?
Can you boot anything else from pendrive?
Are you using sleep or hibernation in Windoze?

lizardidi

#675 Post by lizardidi »

thanks radky. yes, I am using k4.1.48 iso dpup stretch as it boots much faster on a 13 years old Compaq Presario laptop.

to foxpup, yes my pendrive only installed grub4dos. in legacy mode, nothing happened. The laptop juz boot into windoze.. I tried with antix installed on another 16gb pendrive. Nothing happened too.

Yes indeed the k4.1.48 iso is for older hardware. But the same dpup stretch setup booted successfully on Dell pc with latest i7 processor.

Wish to use the same os with my custom setting accross all pc. Is there a boot method or grub setting that can boot for both new and old hardware?

foxpup

boot on Zen

#676 Post by foxpup »

lizardidi wrote:to foxpup, yes my pendrive only installed grub4dos. in legacy mode, nothing happened. The laptop juz boot into windoze.. I tried with antix installed on another 16gb pendrive. Nothing happened too.

Yes indeed the k4.1.48 iso is for older hardware. But the same dpup stretch setup booted successfully on Dell pc with latest i7 processor.
The kernel is probably not the problem.

If I understand correctly, you can boot the same dPupStretch pendrive on the Dell uefi machine but not on the uefi Zenbook.
This pendrive only has grub4dos (legacy boot).
Something must still be wrong in your BIOS or Windows to allow legacy boot.
Look for hibernation, sleep, fast startup, secure boot (should be off), CSM, legacy boot, usb boot (should be enabled).
There is no standard as to what you will find in the BIOS and what is supported.
Also, you may find some things in windows AND in the BIOS, separately; that may be the case for fast boot.
Also check the boot order in BIOS. Legacy should be first and usb as well if detected (should be detected).
Wish to use the same os with my custom setting accross all pc. Is there a boot method or grub setting that can boot for both new and old hardware?
Not that I know of.
If you put an Puppy iso with uefi in the name on a pendrive with the command dd, it will boot both Legacy and EFI. Try it.
But this will block the rest of the pendrive to be used, unless you can fix the usb.
There is often a script fix-usb.sh in the iso, but it is not always working well.
Also there is just 1 Puppy on your pendrive, you may want several.

---

But it is easy to prepare your pendrive for both Legacy and EFI and frugal installs (in folders).
HOWTO coming up later.

EDIT (later):
I suppose you know how to put Puppys each in their own folder.
I suppose you also know how to run grub4dos to have it installed on the pendrive.
I suggest, before doing this, you use Gparted and make a smaller fat32 (50-100M) and an ext3/4 partition.
Put flag boot (and esp - probably not needed) on the fat32. This is for the boot installations.
Ext3/4 is for the Puppys.
The rest is to use freely.

So put the Puppys each in their own folder on ext3/4.
Then run grub4dos to install grub4dos on the pendrive. Mind the options!
Grub4dos will install on flagged fat32.

Now the boot installation for efi.
Puppy Linux UEFI boot EASY and http://helledussen.com/linux/files/UEFI_boot/ from Limbomusic have a good explanation.
On fat32 "make a folder called "EFI" and a "boot" folder inside that. (EFI/boot) and then just put" bootx64.efi "inside it.
Make a file called "grub.cfg" in the root of the flashdrive
[=flagged fat32 partition] with this text:

Code: Select all

menuentry "Start whateverYOuwant" {

linux /vmlinuz

initrd /initrd.gz

}
[/i] "
Because Limbomusic put just 1 Puppy on the only partition of his pendrive,
but we put several Puppys in their own folder,
the grub.cfg should be a little different.
Example:

set timeout=10

menuentry "Puppy stretch 7.5" {
  search --file --set root --no-floppy /dpupStretch/initrd.gz
  linux /dpupStretch/vmlinuz    psubdir=/dpupStretch pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /dpupStretch/initrd.gz
}

menuentry "Puppy bionicpup64 8.0" {
  search --file --set root --no-floppy /bionicpup64/initrd.gz
  linux /bionicpup64/vmlinuz    psubdir=/bionicpup64 pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /bionicpup64/initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Puppy slacko64 6.3.2" { 
  search --file --set root --no-floppy /slacko64-6.3.2/initrd.gz
  linux /slacko64-6.3.2/vmlinuz    psubdir=/slacko64-6.3.2 pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /slacko64-6.3.2/initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Puppy wary 5.5" {
  search --file --set root --no-floppy /wary/initrd.gz
  linux /wary/vmlinuz    psubdir=/wary pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /wary/initrd.gz
}

menuentry "EFI Firmware configuration interface (BIOS)" {
	fwsetup
}

menuentry "Shutdown" {
	halt
}
Notice this is very similar to menu.lst generated by grub4dos:

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.4
#color blue/cyan yellow/blue white/black cyan/black
splashimage=/splash.xpm
timeout 10
default 0

# Frugal installed Puppy

title Puppy stretch 7.5 (sdb2/dpupStretch)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /dpupStretch/initrd.gz
  kernel /dpupStretch/vmlinuz    psubdir=/dpupStretch pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /dpupStretch/initrd.gz

title Puppy bionicpup64 8.0 (sdb2/bionicpup64)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /bionicpup64/initrd.gz
  kernel /bionicpup64/vmlinuz    psubdir=/bionicpup64 pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /bionicpup64/initrd.gz

title Puppy slacko64 6.3.2 (sdb2/slacko64-6.3.2)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /slacko64-6.3.2/initrd.gz
  kernel /slacko64-6.3.2/vmlinuz    psubdir=/slacko64-6.3.2 pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /slacko64-6.3.2/initrd.gz

title Puppy wary 5.5 (sdb2/wary)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /wary/initrd.gz
  kernel /wary/vmlinuz    psubdir=/wary pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /wary/initrd.gz
The entry Wary will not work in EFI because Wary is too old.
It is not capable of booting into EFI.

WiZard

Touchpad settings

#677 Post by WiZard »

Hi radky,
Running rc5 on my laptop. I prefer to turn the touchpad off otherwise I am always hitting it while typing or navigating. I use control center>hardware>touchpad = off then save and quit. This works until I restart and the touchpad is back on. I checked the /.flSynclient file and the TouchpadOff parameter does change to =1 when the setting is made and is still =1 after a restart, but the touchpad is reactivated.

I checked this in rc3 and rc4 and get the same results. Checking in Slacko 6.3 and LXxenial 7.5 it works correctly.

Please let me know if there is a solution.

thanks

wiz

radky

Re: Touchpad settings

#678 Post by radky »

WiZard wrote:I prefer to turn the touchpad off otherwise I am always hitting it while typing or navigating.
@WiZard,

Recent Pups rely increasingly on eudev for mangement of the keyboard, mouse and touchpad -- and our Woof-CE devs are currently adjusting the implementation of eudev in Puppy.

For now, maybe MochiMoppel's suggestion below would automatically disable the touchpad when your system boots. Name the script, make it executable and place in /root/Startup.

#!/bin/sh
synclient TouchpadOff=1
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 32#1002132

WiZard

touchpad

#679 Post by WiZard »

@radky

Thanks for the explanation and solution.

wiz

WiZard

Pupsnap in rc5

#680 Post by WiZard »

hi radky,

I converted from rc4 to rc5 the first part of August. I copied the rc5 files into a directory and then copied my rc4 save file into the directory. On the first run it did a save file conversion and everything seems to be working well. I have found that pupsnap now thinks that the keyboard up arrow key is its hot key. Is there a file that can be edited to change that setting?

thanks

wiz