Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#631 Post by Lobster »

radky wrote:
@Lobster,

Its good to see you on the forum again. I hope all is well in the Paradox Realm. :)
It is is a quantum place. Both existent and non-existent. Schrödinger's cat says hi/meow ... :D
Since inception in late 2017, it seems Dpup Stretch 7.5 has become a 'slow' rolling release rather than an incremental point release. To that end, RC5 should be available soon including kernel and application updates, plus multiple fixes and enhancements introduced recently by our Woof-CE devs.

Although Dpup Stretch is a Woof-CE build, it is unconventional in many ways and deviates somewhat from standard Puppy. I'm not sure how well it would port to an 8.1 designation, but thanks for your consideration.
An unconventional Puppy? My favourite sort.
Because of the stability, Woof CE build, rolling release, hard work, you are welcome to be part of the movement towards Puppy Nine, any time ...

Live long
and Puppy
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

augras

#632 Post by augras »

Hi radky,
I just download your puppy : great job again. Thank you very much.
I put it in french with the french langpack by esmourguit : it works fine. And i put also FbBox in french : I just modify your english2french script for some translations and it is ok.
I didn't read all the 43 pages and don't know if you already explain how to put FbBox in french.
In case, to get FbBox in french : https://augras.eu/puppy_forum/index.php ... 409#msg409.
Only the Menu entries are in french and PupShutdown.
Thank again Radky,
Philippe

augras

#633 Post by augras »

Hi,
i'm with your puppy since yesterday, stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.9.149, on a old laptop lenovo x201i from 2009, and it seems everything works fine. I'm still with my xenial by phil666 in which my ram seems always full but it's not the same here : i don't understand why but it's what i can see.
I just not Get java runtime doesn't work (it's the same in the other puppies), and transparency doesn't work with urxvt-control.
I'm with 2 screens, the one of the laptop and another 22" one and zarfy is not easy to use like lxrandr : each reboot my config isn't keep.
For a RC it's a very good one.
Thank you for this great work.
Philippe

EDIT : i found 2 other small things
- Get flash doen't work (like in the other puppies) : there is a Getflash-1.6d.pet that works http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 3&start=22
- the sylpheed entry in the menus is empty : in the sylpheed.desktop file there is Name[fr]= but it must be Name[fr]=Sylpheed

radky

#634 Post by radky »

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for testing Stretch RC4 (released 10 Jan 2019). The next release (RC5) is now in testing and should be available soon.

Thanks also for the link which provides instructions for French localization of FbBox.

https://augras.eu/puppy_forum/index.php ... 409#msg409

---

augras wrote:
Get java runtime doesn't work
I downloaded and tested rerwin's get_java-1.1.pet, but it seems the Oracle site parameters have changed and the download fails. Currently, I don't have time to troubleshoot those changes, but maybe one of our forum members could evaluate further.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101592

---
augras wrote:
(urxvt) transparency doesn't work with urxvt-control
Please try the following:
1 - Go to Menu -> Utility -> Urxvt Terminal Control
2 - Set Transparency to On
3 - Set Shading to 100
4 - Click Apply
5 - Restart/Relaunch Urxvt

---

augras wrote:
zarfy... each reboot my config isn't keep
You could create a small script which (when booting) automatically loads zarfy with your last screen configuration settings.

For the auto-start script, run the following code in a terminal to create /root/Startup/zarfy:

Code: Select all

echo '#!/bin/sh
zarfy -l' > $HOME/Startup/zarfy
chmod 755 $HOME/Startup/zarfy
---

augras wrote:
Get flash doesn't work (like in the other puppies) : there is a Getflash-1.6d.pet that works.

The sylpheed entry in the menus is empty : in the sylpheed.desktop file there is Name[fr]= but it must be Name[fr]=Sylpheed
Thanks, I'll make the correction for RC5.

Edit:

The default GetFlashPlayer v1.7-1 works fine for me.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

augras

#635 Post by augras »

Your script for zarfy works fine : thank you.
I made a new test with getflash in fresh frugal install and it works ! I don't understand what was wrong before !
A RC5 : are you sure ? You are not joking ?
The RC4 is already very good.
Thank you for your answer and your hard work,
Philippe

rerwin

#636 Post by rerwin »

radky wrote:augras wrote:
Quote:
Get java runtime doesn't work

I downloaded and tested rerwin's get_java-1.1.pet, but it seems the Oracle site parameters have changed and the download fails. Currently, I don't have time to troubleshoot those changes, but maybe one of our forum members could evaluate further.
Until I can get around to updating get_java, please work around the download failure by going to the java site and downloading the latest jre from there to /tmp. Then run get_java but install from the copy in /tmp.
Richard

augras

#637 Post by augras »

Thank you rerwin for your help.
It works like you say for the pet file but it doesn't work for the sfs : after the click on Make SFS the window closes and nothing else.
It is just to inform you : i'm ok with the pet.
Thank you for this tool,
Philippe

phat7

#638 Post by phat7 »

Font family Serif is mapped to an unserifed font (DejaVu Sans?)
Attachments
image-1.png
(30.41 KiB) Downloaded 960 times

radky

#639 Post by radky »

phat7 wrote:Font family Serif is mapped to an unserifed font (DejaVu Sans?)
Will fix for the next release (RC5).

Thanks for the report!
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

augras

#640 Post by augras »

Hi,
i need to print today and try to add my HPLaserjet4050 on my network but it is not detected ! Until today there was any problem to be detect in any puppy.
I made the conf by hand with http://ip_address:9100 and it works : it's ok for me but it's not the best way.
Have a nice day,
Philippe

Mike Walsh

#641 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ radky:-

Y'know, I'm absolutely astounded by this thing. It's been running very sweetly on the big old Compaq desktop for the last couple of months.....pretty much as expected, really.

My 'go-anywhere' Puppy up till now has been Slacko 560. Still is, in fact. I decided, however, to add Stretch to the stick; a big one, 128 GB in fact, with a lot of my documents, pictures, music.....and a good selection of movies for when I get bored!

I'm currently 'plugged-in' to ye anciente Dell lappie; an original 1100, P4-powered, from 2002. I'm really astonished; this Pup, with the 'legacy' k4.1.48 kernel, runs very, very well indeed. It even makes the old girl seem brand new again. And that's quite a trick!

Two words. 'Thank you'. Currently in Stretch, and posting from Palemoon-portable.

Cheers!

Mike. :wink:

sheldonisaac

#642 Post by sheldonisaac »

Mike Walsh )in part) wrote:.. It's been running very sweetly on the big old Compaq desktop for the last couple of months.....pretty much as expected, really.
Concur. My activities are small by comparison. I have less zeal than in the past.
I think my latest menu.lst includes 32-bit Xenial, this DpupStretch, and Dingo.
Oh, and Precise Light.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

radky

#643 Post by radky »

Mike Walsh wrote:Two words. 'Thank you'.
@Mike and sheldonisaac,

Thanks for testing! :)

RC5 will be available later today.

radky

#644 Post by radky »

radky

#645 Post by radky »

Due to a processing error earlier today, the following two isos required a correction and are now available for download. See first post.

stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.1.48.iso
stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso

My apologies to those who may have downloaded earlier today.

sheldonisaac

#646 Post by sheldonisaac »

radky (in part) wrote:Due to a processing error earlier today, the following two isos required a correction and are now available for download. See first post.

stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.1.48.iso
stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso
Thanks a lot. I had downloaded the
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 373293056 Jul 7 13:32 /mnt/sdb2/Downloads/stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso
and changed some things, and saved.
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Jul 7 16:51 stretchsave-jul7
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 292495360 Jul 7 09:17 puppy_stretch_7.5.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2648035 Jul 7 09:14 initrd.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 59301888 Jun 30 13:03 zdrv_stretch_7.5.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6487680 Jun 30 13:01 vmlinuz
Will the new stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso work with my savefolder?

Thanks again.

Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

radky

#647 Post by radky »

sheldonisaac wrote:Will the new stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso work with my savefolder?

Sheldon
Hi Sheldon,

Yes, your savefolder should be fine with the corrected stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso.

Thanks for testing.

mikeslr

#648 Post by mikeslr »

@ sheldonisaac, "Will the new stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso work with my savefolder?".

Running another Puppy, I copied the SaveFile into a protected folder and move the other system files there; then unpacked the ISO into dpup's folder. Booted into dpup. It gave me a moment's freight as booting stopped asking if I wanted to select a resolution, but I pressed "continue" and all was well. [Might not have been exactly that wording as its been a couple of hours; but you'll get the idea]. I have a peculiar monitor; so resolution has to be set, then saved to a SaveFile/Folder.

None of the applications I had installed into the prior iteration duplicated or conflicted with the changes included in the current version.

[Not as I recall with dpup-stretch, but sometimes someone will post about an issue and a fix may have been posted in reply. In such situations, I may have installed the fix. But by the time of the upgrade the Puppy's creator may have also included it or developed a better or conflicting fix. If I just use the SaveFile/Folder from the prior version at best I'll have a duplicate; at worst, a conflict. I can't count on my memory to remember everything which I've done to a Puppy. So I always run Setup>Puppy Package Manager>Uninstall to see what I've installed, and compare it to the Change Log the Dev publishes with an upgrade. I try to do that before transitioning: first backing up the SaveFile/Folder, then removing any duplicate/conflicting applications before booting into the new version using the SaveFile/Folder. That's the safer way as it avoids running conflicting applications. But this time I forgot. So I ran the check after booting into the upgrade].
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 08 Jul 2019, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#649 Post by Mike Walsh »

I'll second Mikeslr's appraisal.

From one of the other Pups, I opened up my DPup partition. Having downloaded the new 'legacy'-kernelled RC5, and mounted it, I deleted the appropriate bits from RC4, and copied them across from RC5.

Re-booted, and everything's running as smooth as so much oiled silk. It picked up the existing save-file like nothing had changed. Well done, radky; to me, that's the true mark of a professionally put-together 'upgrade'. The user shouldn't notice any change.

(Best upgrade I've ever seen.....even better than the 'upgrade' I had with Sailor's Slacko 5.7.1, and that was flawless!)

Full marks, mate. Thanks. And the addition of the MagDock screen magnifier is the icing on the cake. I've long used a Windows 'portable app', running under WINE, for this; 'Virtual Screen Magnifier'. It gives the impression of moving a user-defined 'magnifying glass' around the screen, but I've always noticed that whenever I use it, gKrellM 'freezes' - stands still, if you like - until you click it off again.

This app from SFR doesn't do that. I like it, I like it!

Posting from RC5 now. Cheers!

----------------------------------
sheldonisaac wrote:Will the new stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso work with my savefolder?
Sheldon, mate; go for it. You won't have any issues with this at all. Make sure you're using the same kernel version; I've stuck with the k4.1.48 'legacy' version, 'cos that's what I've been using up till now anyway. Easiest method, I found, is as follows (do this from another Pup, obviously):-

1.) Click on the RC5 .iso to mount it in a Rox-filer window;
2.) Open up your DPup partition/sub-directory/whatever in a second ROX-filer window;
3.) Delete all the 'matching' components of the RC5 iso from your RC4 install, then just copy across all the stuff from the RC5 .iso. Don't touch any SFS files you may have, or your save-file/folder.....leave them as they are.
4.) Now, re-boot. Touch wood, you shouldn't notice any difference!

(Goes without saying, do a back-up first, just in case. But I don't think you'll need it...)

Mike. :wink:

Terry H

#650 Post by Terry H »

New manual frugal install of RC5 to internal SSD. I decided that I'd set it up from scratch, making changes to setup as needed, so I created a new save folder.

For my intel 7265 wifi card identified, but using the included iwlwifi-7265D-22.ucode firmware. The included bluetooth firmware was not valid for the 4.19.x kernel, so no bluetooth firmware was loaded.

As there were error messages in dmesg, I included the iwlwifi-7265D-29.ucode firmware and also the relevant version of bluetooth firmware ibt-hw-37.8.10-fw-1.10.3.11.e.bseq. I also included the regulatory.db and regulatory.db.p7s.

All is running very smoothly. Thank you radky and all others who have assisted. This is a great puppy release.