Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tallboy

#586 Post by tallboy »

Ditto! :D
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

tallboy

#587 Post by tallboy »

A package that I had in my own old Debian, in RedHat at the uni, it also has it's thread here in the forum, and one that I absolutely recommend:
         locate
It makes an index of all your files, and is very fast. You'll find it in the ppm.
I use the excellent pFind every day, and absolutely love it, but locate is used from the terminal window, and can also easily be included in scripts.

And a reminder: Debian released the 9.9 version of Stretch a few days ago, so open your ppm, and update!

tallboy

#588 Post by tallboy »

radky, I try to make a jwmrc-tray script, using the Task List Style that was introduced in JWM.2.3.6, but I cannot make the Active foreground/background settings work. The current version in Dpup Stretch is 2.3.7. Are there any compile/configure settings or other prefs, which were omitted or changed, that can be the reason for my problem?

radky

#589 Post by radky »

tallboy wrote:radky, I try to make a jwmrc-tray script, using the Task List Style that was introduced in JWM.2.3.6, but I cannot make the Active foreground/background settings work. The current version in Dpup Stretch is 2.3.7. Are there any compile/configure settings or other prefs, which were omitted or changed, that can be the reason for my problem?
tallboy,

The configuration of JWM is mediated by XML code in /root/.jwmrc (generated by /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc), which sequentially calls additional configuration files via the 'Include' tag.

In Stretch 7.5, the 'Include' or accessory configuration files are:

1 - /root/.jwmrc-tray
2 - /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme
3 - /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal
4 - /root/.jwmrc-tray2

When /root/.jwmrc is processed, the jwmrc-personal configuration file is called (or read) after jwmrc-tray and jwmrc-theme. Consequently, configuration parameters in jwmrc-personal can be used to override default options and theme settings that are specified in jwmrc-tray and jwmrc-theme.

Concerning your question about the active tray foreground/background, if the 'TaskListStyle' tag is not specified in JWM configuration files, the appearance of the tray iconified windows (i.e., TaskList) is inherited from the 'TrayStyle' parameters of the current JWM theme (/root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme).

If you wish to selectively change the appearance of the JWM tasklist, you could add the 'TaskListStyle' tag to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal (including your preferred active foreground/background), and this would override the settings of the current JWM theme. For example, the following code would force a 'Polished-Blue' tasklist.

Code: Select all

<TaskListStyle>
  <Font>Sans-10</Font>
  <Foreground>#000000</Foreground>
  <Background>#fff:#AEB8C5</Background>
  <Outline>#fff</Outline>
  <Active><Foreground>#ffffff</Foreground>
  <Background>#6A99D4:#3f6fa9</Background></Active>
</TaskListStyle>
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

OscarTalks

#590 Post by OscarTalks »

Something is not quite right with glib-2.50.3
I notice that the Debian libglib packages are shown in /root/.packages as well as the zzz_glib package (which I believe should replace or overwrite the Debian ones).

While experimenting with Gnome-MPV frontend I noticed that the settings/preferences are not saved in Radky's Dpup Stretch, but in my old Dpup Stretch remaster the settings are saved. My remaster has a version of glib-2.50.3 which I compiled from source some time ago.
The .pet of this is uploaded to
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/glib-2.5 ... tretch.pet
In case anyone wants to investigate.

To test this for yourself, install gnome-mpv from PPM
Call gnome-mpv from terminal
Note the warning that settings will not be saved
Note that /root/.config/dconf/user is NOT created

Install my glib-2.50.3 .pet over the top
Call gnome-mpv from terminal again
Note the warning has gone, settings are now saved.
Note that /root/.config/dconf/user is now created
Attachments
before.jpg
BEFORE
(29.76 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
after.jpg
AFTER
(24.53 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Oscar in England

radky

#591 Post by radky »

OscarTalks wrote:While experimenting with Gnome-MPV frontend I noticed that the settings/preferences are not saved in Radky's Dpup Stretch ...

To test this for yourself, install gnome-mpv from PPM
Call gnome-mpv from terminal
Note the warning that settings will not be saved
Note that /root/.config/dconf/user is NOT created
Hi OscarTalks,

It seems gnome-mpv does not find GIO_EXTRA_MODULES in Stretch 7.5.

Adding the following line to /etc/profile fixes (for me) the GLib-GIO warning and properly creates /root/.config/dconf/user.

export GIO_EXTRA_MODULES=/usr/lib/gio/modules
As time permits, maybe you could test in Stretch 7.5.

Thanks for the report.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

Mike Walsh

#592 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ radky/Oscar:-

Thanks for investigating this, guys . I've installed Oscar's glib .pet, added the suggested line to /etc/profile, and Gnome-MPV now remembers its settings here.....though, curiously, I'm not able to select the 'dark' theme.

Any ideas? What might I be 'missing'? Anyone who's ever seen some of my desktops, etc., will quickly realise that I don't tend to use 'themes' very much at all. Desktops, window manager settings, pretty much everything, is highly customised to use my own personal 'take' on things. So I have no idea whether that might affect matters.....

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 10 May 2019, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#593 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Radky,

I can confirm that adding the GIO_EXTRA_MODULES environment variable to /etc/profile does fix the issue here.
Thanks for looking into it.
Oscar in England

radky

#594 Post by radky »

Mike Walsh wrote:I've installed Oscar's glib .pet, added the suggested line to /etc/profile, and Gnome-MPV now remembers its settings here.....though, curiously, I'm not able to select the 'dark' theme.
Hi Mike,

In Stretch 7.5, adding the following line to /etc/profile should be the only change required.

export GIO_EXTRA_MODULES=/usr/lib/gio/modules
No need to install the alternate glib-2.50.3, though I thank OscarTalks for the proposed pet.

---

The gnome-mpv dark theme works fine for me (see screenshot).

---

OscarTalks wrote:
I can confirm that adding the GIO_EXTRA_MODULES environment variable to /etc/profile does fix the issue here.
Thanks for confirming!
Attachments
gnome-mpv-darktheme.png
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 392 times

Mike Walsh

#595 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ radky:-

Just as a matter of interest, I always install either gnome-system-monitor or mate-system-monitor in all my Pups (Debian appears to offer both).

It, too, would never hold settings, and would always start up at minimum size and with default colours/settings. Since incorporating the above 'fix' for gnome-mpv, the 'system monitor' is also now behaving itself at long last, so.....thanks for that! Sorted.

Cheers.

OscarTalks

#596 Post by OscarTalks »

Mike Walsh wrote: curiously, I'm not able to select the 'dark' theme.
Hello Mike,

Others may know more about this than me, but from my experimentations with GTK+3 so far:-

Looking in /etc/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
or /root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini (which takes priority over the above)

if you have gtk-theme-name = Default
This will prevent the "dark" theme from being available

if you have no gtk-theme-name defined at all
A basic "dark" theme is available (internal to GTK+3 ??) as seen in Dpup Stretch

if you define gtk-theme-name = Murrine in Dpup Stretch
You will get a very dark "dark" theme available.

if you download and install a GTK+3 theme of your choice
You can get something with nice colours and animations when you hover and click things.
I have a violet one which goes well with my lilac theme

GTK+3 also needs to find icons in an icon theme as well as the gtk-3.0 colours theme
These are defined for example as gtk-icon-theme-name = Adwaita
Colours themes are in (for example) /usr/share/themes/Murrine/gtk-3.0
Icon themes are in /usr/share/icons
The icon theme packages are quite big, but you can do the trick of symlinking for example the Adwaita directory in /mnt/home with a symlink of the directory into /usr/share/icons
Attachments
gtk3-violet.jpg
Gnome-MPV preferences showing GTK+3 &quot;dark&quot; violet theme with nice animations
(56.5 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#597 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Oscar.

Ah. Thanks for that detailed resumé, mate. I shall investigate later on; I'm messing around in Racy ATM, but will boot into Stretch later on.

Cheers.

tallboy

#598 Post by tallboy »

Hi radky, I have a couple of small issues, one maybe related to Glib-Gio.

1) Rox will very often not open a folder window big enough to view all folders/files inside on first attempt, I have to close and open again to see all the contents. This happens on two PCs, frugal installs in both. Roxfiler options are set to Always resize.

2) PPM often leaves an empty, or white, field as an imprint of a small messages window on the screen after closing, the same with an imprint of the dialog window if an .iso or .sfs is mounted/unmounted.

3) I got the messages below, and by chance, I had just seen the posts about the glib-gio problem. The first message is before I added the export GIO_EXTRA_MODULES=/usr/lib/gio/modules command to /etc/profile.local, and the second message is after I entered the line to /etc/profile.local, restarted X, and repeated the original command. The Palemoon opened and tried to find the man page, but a message said it was not found.
Attachments
glib-gio-message.jpg
(69.12 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
message-2.jpg
(63.68 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

radky

#599 Post by radky »

tallboy wrote:
Rox will very often not open a folder window big enough to view all folders/files inside on first attempt.
Rarely, I see this when ROX-Filer is in List View, but nothing reproducible by me. Maybe woodenshoe-wi would have more information if you post in the ROX-Filer thread.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111880

---

tallboy wrote:
PPM often leaves an empty, or white, field as an imprint of a small messages window on the screen after closing.
I can't reproduce this in Stretch RC4. Do you see this with JWM and/or the alternate Openbox desktop?

---

In your third comment, it seems adding the GIO_EXTRA_MODULES environment variable to /etc/profile resolves the GLib-GIO warning when you launch the defaultbrowser. The remaining 'coding exception' message appears to represent an interaction between your browser and adblocker while processing javascript input (not a Glib-GIO issue).

gychang

darktable install how?

#600 Post by gychang »

sorry, please delete this, my mistake.
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

mavrothal

#601 Post by mavrothal »

For the now deleted darktable question from gychang, above.
Darktable now recommends 64bit versions only that's why is not in PPM.
However, you can get darktable_2.4.4-0pmjdebruijn1~xenial_i386.deb from http://ppa.launchpad.net/pmjdebruijn/da ... darktable/ and it works.
You'll also need a bunch of dependencies. Just start darktable from cli, see what it asks for and install from PPM. The only hard to find is libIlmImf because is provided by libopenexr22.
Be advise that darktable_2.6.2-0pmjdebruijn1~bionic_i386.deb will not run on Dpup as it need Glibc 2.27 and Stretch has 2.24.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Mike Walsh

#602 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Oscar:-

Thanks for the tip about the themes. Mine was set to Aurora, apparently; changing that to Murrine did indeed give me a 'dark' theme.....a little too dark for my liking, actually. None of the other Murrine themes appear to do anything, since they're all GTK 2.0 only.

I'll have to have a scout round, see if I can find some other GTK 3.0 themes for Gnome. That'll keep me busy!

Mike Walsh

#603 Post by Mike Walsh »

Actually, that didn't take long at all.

Found this site - gnome-look.org - which has some nice stuff on it. In GTK-3.0 themes, I found a neat collection, titled 'Shades-of-gray'. Thought I'd just publish the link for this page here, in case anyone else might be interested:-

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1244058/

I downloaded the whole 'Shades-of-gray' collection. 'Shades-of-gray-Firebrick' now gives me this:-

(My folder icon is the size it is due to having been modified in ROX. Nothing actually 'wrong' with it.)

tallboy

#604 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, radky, I'll ask in the Rox-filer thread.
You wrote:The remaining 'coding exception' message appears to represent an interaction between your browser and adblocker while processing javascript input (not a Glib-GIO issue).
Aha, the reason may be 22000 excluded sites in /etc/hosts... :D

I asked about JWM a couple of posts back, but I found my mistake. :oops: I have used the old JWM black-vg theme in my dpups and Lucid, but it don't work in recent versions of JWM. I have rewritten it, and kept it close to the original, and named it Sub-marine. I have uploaded the theme to the JWM Themes Exchange thread.

I have modified the /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal file manually, and later through the optional edit function in JWMDesk Manager. If I make any changes in JWMDesk Manager, and apply them with the builtin button, I have discovered that some of my manually added modifications in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal have been reset to the default. I set MoveMode and ResizeMode coordinates to on, and FocusModel to sloppy. After making changes using JWMDesk Manager, the coordinats are set back to off, but the FocusMode remains sloppy. Is there a codeline somewhere that makes the use of JWMDesk Manager load a default setup, only including modifications made by using the JWMDesk Manager, instead of merging the changes with the existing jwmrc-personal?

tallboy

#605 Post by tallboy »

I have a serious problem. I have 2 PCs with Dpup Stretch-7.5 RC4 installed frugally. One laptop with an SSD, one stationary PC with a 2.5" HDD, both set as flash in the installer choice, both set to Save session interval=0, and to be asked to save at shutdown. I have experienced that I have to make preference files several times, and I have been angry with myself for forgetting to save at shutdown. But, that is not the case. See my last post where JWMDesk manager saves seem to screw up my settings. Those saves usually goes hand-in-hand with clicking the Save (save2flash) button on the desktop, because I don't want to save just for the session. I described my 22000 lines /etc/hosts file in the last post. I just opened it to add the murga-linux.com IP address to bypass the DNS, that I copied from a recent post in the forum. Apart from the 4 default lines, /etc/hosts is empty! The save2flash process seem to reload some defaults, but how? The same happens in both PCs. I have a 10Gb partition as sda1 with Dpup, Grub and savefolder, see pics. The stretchsave folder is 186Mb, I have run the du command on it, two level deep, text file attached as a fake gz file. Download and remove gz from name.

From Grub menu.lst:

timeout 6
default 0
#
title Puppy Linux - Dpup Stretch 7.5
root (hd0,0)
kernel /stretch7.5frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=stretch7.5frugal pfix=fsck
initrd /stretch7.5frugal/initrd.gz
#
title Puppy Linux - Dpup Stretch 7.5 no saves
root (hd0,0)
kernel /stretch7.5frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=stretch7.5frugal pfix=fsck,nocopy,ram
initrd /stretch7.5frugal/initrd.gz
Attachments
saves.gz
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
frugal-1.jpg
(22.89 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
frugal-2.jpg
(22.79 KiB) Downloaded 756 times