Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 06 Dec 2019, 07:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 38 of 47 [696 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
radky

PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr 2019, 22:38    Post subject:  

Hi Mike and MochiMoppel,

For those who wish to disable scrollable desktop switching, JWM >= 2.3.7 supports the use of an empty root menu (<RootMenu onroot="45"/>), and this technique is used in the current release of Dpup Stretch. In this scenario, the tray pager is still available to change virtual desktops.

However, if you want to re-enable scrollable desktop switching, do the following:

1 - Go to /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc and delete line 78 (i.e., remove <RootMenu onroot="45"/>)
2 - fixmenus
3 - jwm -restart

---

For more information, see below:

https://github.com/joewing/jwm/issues/366

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr 2019, 23:14    Post subject:  

Thanks radky. Good to see that Joe unfixed his fix. As you may know I stay away from 2.3. and hope for a better 2.4. Laughing
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 06:35    Post subject:  

@ Mochi/radky:-

Thanks, guys. I knew it was a fairly simple solution, but couldn't locate it yesterday. As usual in Linux, there's multiple approaches (& solutions) to the same thing.

(That's something new I've learnt. Using '#' to comment-out doesn't work in /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc..! You have to use "<!--...........--> instead. Is that peculiar to XML code?

I didn't want to delete line 78 completely, just comment it out.....but learnt summat new in the process.)

I may have to try Mochi's approach - or a variation thereof - in Lucid, 'cos Richard's done the same thing there. But then that's using fbPanel instead, so of course, it's probably completely different...

Cheers, anyway.

Mike. Wink

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 07:02    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
You have to use "<!--...........--> instead. Is that peculiar to XML code?
Yes. If you use Geany you don't have to worry about the syntax: Place the text cursor into the line you want to comment or select a range of lines you want to comment out, then press Ctrl+E. Geany will uses #~ or <!-- , depending on script language. Use Ctr.+E again to uncomment. One of the best features of Geany.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 10:58    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:
You have to use "<!--...........--> instead. Is that peculiar to XML code?
Yes. If you use Geany you don't have to worry about the syntax: Place the text cursor into the line you want to comment or select a range of lines you want to comment out, then press Ctrl+E. Geany will uses #~ or <!-- , depending on script language. Use Ctr.+E again to uncomment. One of the best features of Geany.

Neat tip, Mochi; wasn't aware of that one. I shall have to remember it.

Cheers.

Mike. Wink

tallboy

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 14:15    Post subject:  

Mike wrote:
What'cha think of my 'Robo-puppies'?

Very nice, Mike, god find! Very Happy As I said elsewhere, according to my personal taste, the default icon theme is absolutely horrible! (sorry, radky Confused ) Not only fugly, but the icons are not really indicating what they actually do, it is a real guesswork.

radky, could you please change the entry in IP Info to query for your external IP, to icanhazip.com, in the next version on Dpup Stretch? The default is opendns.com, but as they say on the homepage: 'OpenDNS is now part of Cisco'. It is no longer of any use for us, to get an external IP adress.

tallboy

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 14:44    Post subject:  

I timed the boot process when using Dpup Stretch in my Dell Latitude E6230 laptop. It is frugally installed, using Lick for multi-boot possibility in Win 10. From pressing the power button, I had a working desktop in 26 seconds, with a working network (LAN cable), in 5 additional seconds. Very impressive for a multi-boot process, where I underway had to manually choose between OSs, and then which version of Dpup to boot. From the last choice to a fully operational desktop, it took 14 seconds.
Extremely impressive compared to startup of a live CD on a 16 year old P4... Confused

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 16:48    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
radky, could you please change the entry in IP Info to query for your external IP, to icanhazip.com, in the next version on Dpup Stretch? The default is opendns.com, but as they say on the homepage: 'OpenDNS is now part of Cisco'. It is no longer of any use for us, to get an external IP adress.

duckduckgo is supposedly anonymous ...
Code:
wget -qqO- 'https://duckduckgo.com/?q=what+is+my+ip' | grep -ow 'Your IP address is [0-9.]*[0-9]' | grep -ow '[0-9][0-9.]*'

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
radky

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 19:19    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
Quote:
according to my personal taste, the default icon theme is absolutely horrible!

Undoubtedly, desktop theming is very much a matter of personal taste. Finding an icon theme that pleases everyone would be a difficult task.

The default papirus icon theme in Stretch was chosen as a colorful option not currently used in other Pups.

That said, Dpup Stretch offers 12 icon themes. Hopefully, you will find one of those options more attractive on your desktop.

If you prefer more choices, Puppy users have created multiple additional icons themes and smokey01 provides easy downloading at the following link:

http://smokey01.com/icon-sets/

---

tallboy wrote:
Quote:
could you please change the entry in IP Info to query for your external IP, to icanhazip.com, in the next version on Dpup Stretch?

Over the years, various Puppy users have objected to any application that probes an external server for their local external IP address. Consequently, for the current release of the ipinfo app, 01micko chose opendns.com as the external server since this is a dedicated DNS resolution service that processes billions of DNS queries daily, and the service accepts queries from any source.

The current ipinfo app requires a slight update in code to properly query opendns.com. As time permits, maybe you could test the attached revision. Remove the fake gz extension, make the file executable and place it in /usr/sbin.

---

EDIT:

@rufwoof,

Thanks for your input.
ipinfo.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  ipinfo.gz 
Filesize  4.29 KB 
Downloaded  87 Time(s) 

Last edited by radky on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 13:42; edited 1 time in total
tallboy

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 21:11    Post subject:  

Thank you, radky, that script works very well. Very Happy
My main issue with the default theme, is that it is not very intuitive.

Mike wrote:
I did a search on DuckDuckGo (haven't bothered with Google for an age!)

Then you should absolutely try the WebSearch in the Internet section of the Menu. Very Happy

rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr 2019, 09:50    Post subject:  

How are you getting on with Multi-session boots Tallboy?

Using a laptop and DVD, I'm saving OK for the first couple of times OK, but third time save I keep getting a "Save session - Error" dialog
Code:
ERROR MESSAGE: SUSP signatures version 1 found. It seems to be time to migrate to a new live-DVD. Run remasterpup2 to crate a new ISO file and use burniso2cd to burn the ISO to the new DVD

Even though massive amounts of free space still available on the DVD

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr 2019, 11:50    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
Mike wrote:
I did a search on DuckDuckGo (haven't bothered with Google for an age!)

Then you should absolutely try the WebSearch in the Internet section of the Menu. Very Happy

Hiya, tallboy.

Eee, that's a neat feature. I've just had a look for it. I didn't even know there were that many search engines out there! Crunchyroll; Dribbble; Swisscows; Rotten Tomatoes....WolfRam Alpha??? (The mind boggles....)

I shall have to experiment with this a bit over the coming weeks.....

Roger's full of surprises, ain't he? Laughing

Mike. Wink

lizardidi

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr 2019, 12:33    Post subject:  

This might sounds like a stupid question... but how we launch peebee's Chromium as spot in Dpup Stretch?

I load the Chromium 72 sfs.

In System > Login and security manager , I ticked the Chromium to run as spot.

However, when i launch Chromium, it said :

Quote:
# chromium
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /lib/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium/libgtk-3.so.0)
chown: /root/spot/Downloads/*: No such file or directory
# /usr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash: line 273: /tmp/gtkdialog-splash_gtkrc: Permission denied
EXIT="Exit on timeout"

Did i loaded the wrong version of Chromium? Its chromium_72.0.3626.121+pepper_32.0.0.171_lx_spot. My Dpup stretch is 32 bit version..
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr 2019, 16:04    Post subject: Chromium 72 alternatives  

Hi lizardidi,

I can never figure out which of peebee's Chromimums function other than in the Puppies he builds them for. Perhaps that problem could be resolved. But I prefer OscarTalk's Iron 69, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1009536#1009536 anyway. It's Chromium with a lot more "call home to Google" stripped out.

If you need an even more recent Google-Chrome-Clone, try Slimjet 22.0.4.0, which OscarTalks published on April 2nd. Obtain and read the instructions: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1024022#1024022

The vivaldi alternative from March 23rd can be found here: https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK?force_show=1
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr 2019, 16:42    Post subject:  

I took the Debian Stretch chromium .deb from packages.debian.org and did a few tweaks and created a .sfs of it
Version is 73.0.3683.75
Runs as root, not spot
Starts and runs here in my personal Dpup Stretch remaster
Not tested extensively though.
Uploaded in case anyone wants to take a look at it:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
chromium73-stretch.jpg
 Description   Debian version with a couple of Puppy tweaks
 Filesize   29.28 KB
 Viewed   391 Time(s)

chromium73-stretch.jpg

Page 38 of 47 [696 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: