Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Nov 2019, 10:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 33 of 47 [692 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
cthisbear

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2019, 22:33    Post subject:  

Testing RC4. using k4.1.48-i686-pae for legacy hardware

Not happy...I have found no issues yet.

Unity bank site, ..aka old Maritime Credit Union site even works on
second login with Palemoon this time around.

Past versions locked up on the second time login.

Even downloaded your extra firmware for extra PC testing....thanks.
Although on every variety I have had no issues.

I believe that this version of Stretch should be a default go to
for newbies to Puppy because it just works.
Although I just remembered my Simplecom wireless USB.

I shall test it now.

Don't tell me mum I've been nice.

Chris.
01101001b

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019, 03:17    Post subject: Pcmanfm: Operation not supported
Subject description: Can't connect to a ftp server from pcmanfm

Hi everybody. I need your confirmation of the following:

I can't connect to an ftp server from pcmanfm (in theory I should). Instead, always the same message: "Operation not supported"

Same problem, anyone? Rolling Eyes

Thx.
Semme

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019, 08:33    Post subject:    

Is your FTP server active? Otherwise, it may not have been compiled with FTP support.
01101001b

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019, 16:30    Post subject:  

Semme wrote:
Is your FTP server active?

Hi! Thanks for your answer. Yes, it is. I can access it from everything else (gFTP, Filezilla, FireFTP) but pcmanfm.

Semme wrote:
Otherwise, it may not have been compiled with FTP support.

Would you believe I found that same webpage before asking here but I decided to deal (to no avail) with gvfs (missing that explanation)? That could be the reason the problem persisted when I tried compiling last version of pcmanfm + libfm Embarassed

I'll give it a try now following those instructions and we'll see. Thank you! Smile
Terry H

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2019, 20:49    Post subject: touchscreen  

My replacement laptop Dell Latitude 3350 Core-i5 5200U has a touchscreen. This is the first touchscreen laptop I've had. When I first used Stretch pup 7.5 RC4, the touchscreen is working, however the cursor position and active point is about 5 cm (2 inches) from where I touch. I checked PPM and found a debian package x11-touchscreen-calibrator, which I installed. This program is a daemon, which I included in startup. It hasn't made any difference. To use the touchscreen I have to touch the screen and then move the cursor to be over where I want to touch (5 cm from where I touch).

I probably won't use the touchscreen much, but would still like it to function correctly, so any assistance in getting the touchscreen calibrated is greatly appreciated.

I bought this laptop on ebay as an AS-IS sale for parts and have used parts from the other Dell Latitude 3350, which recently died. So far I have only tried this stretch 7.5 RC4 and josejp2424's Shiba Inu Mate (slackware 14.1 &14.2 based), which the touchscreen works OOTB.
radky

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2019, 23:21    Post subject: Re: touchscreen  

Terry H wrote:
My replacement laptop Dell Latitude 3350 Core-i5 5200U has a touchscreen. This is the first touchscreen laptop I've had. When I first used Stretch pup 7.5 RC4, the touchscreen is working, however the cursor position and active point is about 5 cm (2 inches) from where I touch...

Hi Terry,

My laptop is not touchscreen capable, so my reply is limited.

Since your touchscreen is responding in Dpup Stretch, maybe the following calibration articles will be helpful:

1 - calibrate manually with xrandr and xinput
2 - calibrate automatically by creating an appropriate udev rule

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Calibrating_Touchscreen#Do_it_automatically_via_a_udev_rule
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/touchscreen

In Dpup you will find generic settings for touchscreens in the following configuration files:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

Maybe others who use touchscreens in Puppy will offer specific advice.

Terry H

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb 2019, 15:58    Post subject:  

@ radky, thanks for the information, I'll check it out. Having a touchscreen is not a priority for me, even using an OS which it functions on, I haven't used it.

Edit: As touchscreen was working properly with Shiba Inu Mate( 4.19.12), I thought trying the kernel and zdrv from that puppy was a good place to start. Touchscreen now functioning properly with changed kernel. All appears to be working correctly using this kernel.

I looked at the ArchWiki articles, identified the input/event*, touchscreen id, to help understanding the functioning, but took no additional action.
dogle

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb 2019, 07:35    Post subject:  

First, thanks-a-bundle to radky, helpers all, and of course Grant for hosting.

I've downloaded RC4 4.1.48 iso, MD5 OK, multisession CD burn verified, now running on my Pentium D test box with 3GB RAM.

The one snag I've hit so far is with internet connection using PupDial (stupid mode enabled) via my trusty 10-year-old Huawei 3G dongle, which works fine with all my other Pups. Connection is dropped immediately as soon as it is established, Error Code 2 - fatal.

This has resisted all my attempts to fix it, including loading a wvdial.config which I know works for sure. At no point have I "saved", i.e. I continue to run from the pristine disc.

I see that /var/log/messages reports

Code:
local2.warn pppd[16416]:  kernel does not support PPP filtering

which I don't see on my system with a working connection.

Any ideas?
radky

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019, 00:26    Post subject:  

dogle wrote:

Code:
local2.warn pppd[16416]:  kernel does not support PPP filtering

Hi dogle,

It seems the configuration file for building the RC4 4.1.48 kernel does not support Huawei USB interfaces.

Give me a little time and I will reconfigure the 4.1.48 kernel and provide an update for you to test.

Thanks

radky

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 16:46    Post subject:
Subject description: Huawei 3G dongle

Hi dogle,

For use with your Huawei 3G dongle in Dpup Stretch and kernel 4.1.48, please test the attached kernel module.

The pet will install as /lib/modules/4.1.48/kernel/drivers/net/usb/huawei_cdc_ncm.ko

Then reboot, and select the option to create a save file (if not already present).

Thanks
dpup_stretch_4.1.48_huawei_cdc_ncm.ko.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  dpup_stretch_4.1.48_huawei_cdc_ncm.ko.pet 
Filesize  3.18 KB 
Downloaded  34 Time(s) 

dogle

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 21:58    Post subject:  

Thanks, radky.

Good news: it works on the first connection attempt after reboot.

Bad news: it only works on that first connection - on subsequent attempts the problem has returned, connection dropped immediately, requiring another reboot for continued connection.
Terry H

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 23:00    Post subject:  

dogle wrote:
Thanks, radky.

Good news: it works on the first connection attempt after reboot.

Bad news: it only works on that first connection - on subsequent attempts the problem has returned, connection dropped immediately, requiring another reboot for continued connection.

Rather than a reboot, have you considered issuing a modprobe against the module name from a terminal? The modprobe command can be used to stop and start modules.
dogle

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 11:44    Post subject:  

Thankee, Terry H, - sorry for slow response, I've been chasing my tail for days now on this one, but to no avail - I'm now in a hole, really baffled and beginning to screw things up, and it is time for me to stop digging it deeper and to ask for more help - yes, I did consider trying modprobe but I am sadly inept with the command syntax and didn't gain anything useful - no matter, because I'm now almost 100% convinced that I've been barking up the wrong tree in pursuing the putative Huawei module issue (read on ..).

I've drawn some cold comfort in noting the struggles of cthisbear ( whose greater knowlege I hugely respect ) in sorting somewhat similar usb device issues in an earlier RC last year.

Here are some more clues / ?false leads?:

- radky's kind .pet module is duly shown in /lib/modules/4.1.48/kernel/drivers/net/usb/ ... so I don't understand why it is not seen in Pup-Kview ... but that might not be important to the current prob ...

- I've been using this particular Huawei dongle [E169] happily for years on the bog-standard modules in kernels from 2.6.30, it seems to be amenable to the generic kernel drivers available, including the current 4.1.48 which seems to play nicely with it recognition-wise.

- Dunno why, but (having setup a frugal install) I can no longer connect sustainably after a reboot, connection drops immediately with the usual code 2 error message "Can't open options file, etc/ppp/peers/wvdial: no such file or directory". (but don't get the can't support PPP filtering warning now). (???).

I deduce that the real problem is the failure of wvdial to set up the requisite peers file, rather than module issues. Despite many hours of searching and fiddling, I'm now defeated - I have failed to resolve this.

radky, if you have built this using Woof, could it be that Woof is still relating to now-outdated versions of the wvdial and associated stuff which are no longer in line with current kernels?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 11:53    Post subject:  

Is this any help?

Quote:
I copied the file /etc/ppp/wvdial into /etc/ppp/peers directory and it works.
dogle

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 15:08    Post subject:  

rcrsn51, you have never ceased to amaze me (only to amaze me more!) and thank you so much for the link.

This does certainly focus the underlying problem - seems that pppd niggles have been causing frustration for many years and continue so to do.

No - it doesn't help in my case, because there is no such /etc/ ppp/wvdial file created - that seems to point to the nub of the present problem, and finding a way to to fix it might be a very welcome step forward.
Page 33 of 47 [692 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: