Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 14 Nov 2019, 21:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 32 of 47 [691 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
6502coder

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2019, 01:17    Post subject: Palemoon Preferences problem  

I have been using the 4.1 kernel version of RC3 on an 8 GB flash drive. I wanted to try the RC4 version so I repartitioned and reformatted the flash drive and then did a fresh install of RC4.

Good news: the problem I previously reported with Rox getting confused when I switched flash drives has not turned up in RC4.

Not so good news: when I go to Tool->Preferences in the bundled Palemoon 28.2.2, I have problems when I try to edit settings (the dialogue doesn't update) or switch tabs (nothing seems to happen). If I exit out of Preferences and re-open it, I find that the settings change or tab switch has taken place, so this isn't fatal, but it certainly is annoying.

The other menus and dialogues in Palemoon work fine; it only affects Tools->Preferences.

I don't remember having this problem in RC3, and it does not occur in PM 28.2.2 on my TahrPup 606 or Slacko 571CE Puppies.

FWIW of my 1GB of RAM, there's about 300MB free (according to "top") after the desktop comes up, and firing up Palemoon reduces the free memory to 150MB. There's 1.6GB of swap on the hard drive.

Also FWIW all this is happening on an isolated laptop without any kind of network connection.

Aside from the PM problem, RC4 is running fine for me.
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2019, 02:53    Post subject: Re: Palemoon Preferences problem  

6502coder wrote:

Not so good news: when I go to Tool->Preferences in the bundled Palemoon 28.2.2, I have problems when I try to edit settings (the dialogue doesn't update) or switch tabs (nothing seems to happen). If I exit out of Preferences and re-open it, I find that the settings change or tab switch has taken place, so this isn't fatal, but it certainly is annoying.

The other menus and dialogues in Palemoon work fine; it only affects Tools->Preferences.

I saved a post by 666philb:

Quote:
the new palemoon seems to have issues with some intel drivers and you can't select items in palemoons preferences. a fix is type about:config into the address bar and set browser.preferences.animateFadeIn to true
radky

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2019, 14:31    Post subject:  

6502coder wrote:
Quote:
I have been using the 4.1 kernel version of RC3... and then did a fresh install of RC4.

When I go to Tool->Preferences in the bundled Palemoon 28.2.2, I have problems when I try to edit settings (the dialogue doesn't update) or switch tabs (nothing seems to happen). If I exit out of Preferences and re-open it, I find that the settings change or tab switch has taken place, so this isn't fatal, but it certainly is annoying.

The other menus and dialogues in Palemoon work fine; it only affects Tools->Preferences

Hi 6502coder,

As 666philb and watchdog noted, the problem you describe with Tools->Preferences in Pale Moon may be specific to variants of the intel video driver. There are several internet discussions about this issue, including the following thread on the Pale Moon forum:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=148526#p148526

If your problem in the 4.1 kernel version of RC4 is not resolved by typing about:config in the Pale Moon address bar and setting 'browser.preferences.animateFadeIn' to true, then maybe you could boot and test the 4.9 kernel version of RC4.

Thanks

6502coder

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2019, 16:32    Post subject:  

Thanks guys, color me embarrassed! I should have been aware of 666philb's post. That fix does indeed work for me.

What threw me (and still does) is that the same version of Palemoon running on TahrPup606 and Slacko571CE on the same laptop doesn't have this problem; they are perfectly happy with the "browser.preferences.animateFadeIn" parameter left at the default value of "false". Oh well, whatever works...
Edit: never mind...different kernels, different drivers--DUH! Sheesh--color me senile as well.

@radky
BTW when I first tested RC3, I did try the 4.9 kernel version. It was noticeably slower on my ancient laptop than the 4.1 kernel, as I suspected would be the case given the similar experiences of mikeslr and musher0 (and others) with recent Upups.
foxpup

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan 2019, 16:31    Post subject: short report
Subject description: testing on i5 laptop with intel (and nvidia not used)

Trying out this Dpup RC4 for some days now and enjoying it a lot. Great Puppy!
Thank you radky!!
I only had a few remarks on RC3, they are all resolved.
And I find RC4 very feature rich.

One little thing: that the default setup for hexchat should be for #puppylinux with a better nick then 'root'.

I just had a sudden shutdown, neatly and in time, but not announced, because my battery was low.

If I may make a suggestion, it would be to include Back Seat Driver 3.
Moat

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan 2019, 02:02    Post subject: Re: short report

foxpup wrote:
Great Puppy!

Agreed! Spent the other evening just playing with the stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.9.149.iso (Fluxbox side), and everything ran smooth as buttah'. A great Pup, indeed. Thanks, Radky!

Bob
foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan 2019, 16:04    Post subject: xvkbd
Subject description: looses keys when resized

xvkbd is acting strange when I try to resize its window. Rows and columns are not increased/decreased equally and may disapear over the edge and come back.

When opening xvkbd in terminal it shows this warnings:
Quote:
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Actions not found: ReadKeymap
radky

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan 2019, 01:26    Post subject: Re: short report

foxpup wrote:
Quote:
One little thing: that the default setup for hexchat should be for #puppylinux with a better nick then 'root'.

In the next release, I can add the default option for #puppylinux on irc.freenode.net.

I don't use hexchat, but I assume each user will replace the initial default 'root' Nick name with a personalized name before connecting to #puppylinux, but I could be wrong?
Quote:
I just had a sudden shutdown, neatly and in time, but not announced, because my battery was low.

The next release will include an updated powerapplet_tray battery monitor which provides audible and popup alerts when the battery charge is low.
Quote:
If I may make a suggestion, it would be to include Back Seat Driver 3.

I'll take a look.

Thanks for your comments foxpup! Smile

radky

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan 2019, 01:32    Post subject: Re: short report

Moat wrote:
Spent the other evening just playing with the stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.9.149.iso, and everything ran smooth as buttah.

Thanks, Radky!

You are welcome Moat. Thanks for testing! Smile

radky

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan 2019, 01:35    Post subject: Re: xvkbd
Subject description: looses keys when resized

foxpup wrote:
xvkbd is acting strange when I try to resize its window. Rows and columns are not increased/decreased equally and may disapear over the edge and come back.

When opening xvkbd in terminal it shows this warnings:
Quote:
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Actions not found: ReadKeymap

Hi foxpup,

In Dpup Stretch, xvkbd is lauched by a wrapper script (/usr/bin/xvkbd-wrapper2) which sets the GUI size and location, and determines the current locale before displaying the virtual keyboard. Launched this way, you should not see the missing charsets message.

As you noted, the GUI of xvkbd-3.9 does not respond well to manual resizing in Dpup.

In the next release, unless there is an obvious solution for the display issues in 3.9, I'll revert to xvkbd-3.7 which works fine without errors.

backi

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan 2019, 09:51    Post subject:  

Hi Radky !

Applause Laughing Applause Laughing Aplause Laughing ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A while ago i installed Dpup Stretch onto an Usb Stick..... but completely forgot about it ....rediscovered it 2 Days ago ......
I have to say .....excellent Distro .

Now install the brandnew 7.5 CE (RC-4) Candidate to this Stick .

One Thing i changed ......removed new Pale Moon ,cause it does not work well on my old Clunker (Toshiba Satellite single Core 1 Gig Ram ) ,replaced it with older Version 27.9.4 .This does work better .

Superb Distro!
darry19662018

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan 2019, 20:33    Post subject:  

Congrats Radky look forward to this one.Smile
T-Biscuit

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan 2019, 21:31    Post subject: Works great on Asus 900a netbook
Subject description: now using 10 yr old netboook daily with this OS

backi wrote:
One Thing i changed ......removed new Pale Moon ,cause it does not work well on my old Clunker (Toshiba Satellite single Core 1 Gig Ram ) ,replaced it with older Version 27.9.4 .This does work better .

Superb Distro!

Ditto well desered kudos.Dpup Stretch 7.5 RC4 gave new life to this old Asus 900a netbook. Firefox working faster for me than Palemoon.
backi

PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb 2019, 08:25    Post subject:  

Hi Radky !

Just playing a bit with your Brainchild !
Incredibly fast .......and light as a Feather .

hey man... super cool..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Easy like Sunday Morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzDTfIb0DU
radky

PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb 2019, 16:39    Post subject:  

@backi, darry19662018, T-Biscuit

Thanks for testing RC4. Your kind comments are much appreciated! Smile

The next release (RC5) will have additional enhancements and adjustments.

Page 32 of 47 [691 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: