Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
s243a

#421 Post by s243a »

There is a stretch-backports repo that I don't believe is included in the puppy package manager for dpup-stretch but is needed if one wants to install node.js.

Also note that if one is installing node.js then they need to:

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/bin/nodejs /usr/bin/node

Brown Mouse

#422 Post by Brown Mouse »

Added the latest Firefox and once again discovered it had no sound.
On installing Apulse to fix the problem,noticed it breaks mhWaveEdit.

# mhwaveedit
[apulse] [error] Z pa_operation_get_state operation is NULL
pa_context_get_output_info_by_name: Oops.
get_default_source_info: Oops.
[apulse] [error] Z pa_operation_get_state operation is NULL
pa_context_get_output_info_by_name: Oops.
get_default_source_info: Oops.
Segmentation fault
#

OscarTalks

#423 Post by OscarTalks »

Brown Mouse wrote:Added the latest Firefox and once again discovered it had no sound.
On installing Apulse to fix the problem,noticed it breaks mhWaveEdit.
I recommend extracting the 3 apulse library files into the main firefox directory and then starting firefox with a script to prioritise that directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Oscar in England

charlie6

#424 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Oscartalks,
...and then starting firefox with a script to prioritise that directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
About that
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox
script, could it be something like:

#!/bin/sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
Thanks for any advice
Also thanks to radky for this much appreciated Dpup Stretch !
Best regards
Charlie

belham2

firefox64--no sound

#425 Post by belham2 »

Hi Radky, Oscar and all,

Have any of you gotten sound to work in RC3 version for Firefox? I got it to work in RC2, but can't get it going in RC3??
Here's a pic so you can see everything I did (below). I downloaded Oscartalk's i686-apulse.pet from smokey01, installed the pet, then copied everything in the /usr/lib/apulse folder into the /usr/lib/firefox folder, and finally made the Firefox64 'about:config' mods as noted in the pic. Still, no sound.. :(

Thank you for any help and/or tips.

P.S. I would happily stick to Palemoon, but every pup and/or ddog (or big Linux OS) I use Palemoon on my various range of desktops & laptops, it has one major annoying problem: the scrolling is horrible on any big (i.e yahoo, major news sites, major media (youtube), etc) webpages. It is catchy & jerky, and this is with 8-16GB ram on a various range of intel and amd machines and with pups/ddogs/big-linux-OSes. I've mentioned it in the Palemoon thread, but it seems there's no way to fix it and, sadly, I guess I am the only one on murga whose various machines suffers from it....despite it appearing constantly on several machines (recently, a few friends trying pups even experienced it and immediately they deleted Palemoon). I even tested this problem with big linux distros, as aforementioned, using different mouses (bluetooth and wired) and the scrolling is still the same horrible actions. Otherwise, it is a great browser. But this scrolling problem has been ongoing with Palemoon browser (32 & 64 bit) for over 20 months :?
Attachments
no-sound-Firefox-64.jpg
(91.31 KiB) Downloaded 595 times

radky

#426 Post by radky »

Hi belham2,

Today I tested "Firefox Quantum Portable with apulse" in Dpup Stretch and it works nicely for me (see link below).

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 010#978010

This self-contained release of Firefox Quantum by fredx181 contains apulse provided by OscarTalks.

The current bug-fixed release contains firefox-63.0.3

• Download the 32-bit version for use in Dpup Stretch
• Extract the pet to a convenient folder such as /opt, then run the "ff" script in the extracted folder (/opt/firefox32)
• To update (if available), go to Help > About

Thank you fredx181 and OscarTalks :)

---

Concerning slow scrolling on some sites in Palemoon, the following options are available in Palemoon 28.2.1

Menu -> Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Scrolling

In the Scrolling tab, click the Help button for more information about adjusting the Smooth scrolling parameters.
Attachments
scrolling.png
(66.6 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

01101001b

#427 Post by 01101001b »

Hi! I've installed Dpup Stretch 7.5 RC-2 (4.9.71-i686-pae) in a friend's pc (same version I use for supporting reasons). But in my system I never had this problem (please, see picture).

Any idea? Is there something that I could check? Thx!

EDIT: -SOLVED-

I can't explain why, but problem solved when I copied lxde-applications.menu to /etc/xdg/menus (needed if you, like me, prefer lxpanel instead of fbpanel).

It happened that, just in case, I copied the entire content of the aforementioned folder (from my system to the new one) also, but since file manager seemed to skip file transfer arguing same files were detected in destination, I'm not quite sure if any was copied or none at all.

One way or another, the problem dissappeared.
Attachments
NoApps.png
(119.33 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
Last edited by 01101001b on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

01101001b

#428 Post by 01101001b »

belham2 wrote:P.S. I would happily stick to Palemoon, but [...] the scrolling is horrible on any big (i.e yahoo, major news sites, major media (youtube), etc) webpages.
Same here. This problem started in Palemoon 28, so I stuck to previous version as long as I could (that is, until MEGA stopped working with it).

As you said, I have that awful, uncontrollable scrolling in YT but the browser scrolling works ok in many different sites I visit. So I guess the problem comes due to some weird implementation of some weird scrolling type in YT's site and the like (momentum scroll / inertial scroll, some cr*p like that).

This scroll configuration in PM seems to mitigate the problem slightly (see picture - smooth scrolling selected but values unchecked) BUT if scrolling gets too crazy, I turn off Javascript in YT (I have a little addon at hand to turn it off)

Let's hope a better solution appear soon.

Regards!
Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
(65.27 KiB) Downloaded 448 times

radky

#429 Post by radky »

belham2 wrote: Palemoon [browsing] is catchy & jerky (i.e yahoo, major news sites, major media (youtube), etc)
Hi belham2,

As of v28.2.0, the palemoon browser supports Asynchronous Panning and Zooming (APZ) which may improve scrolling on webpages laden with imbedded javascript (such as yahoo, major news sites, etc.).

APZ decouples scrolling from the javascript thread, allowing smoother scrolling.

You could update to palemoon 28.2.1 or greater. Hopefully this will improve your browsing experience.

Keep in mind, the palemoon updater in stretch RC2/RC3 is now deprecated and no longer functions for palemoon 28.X.X.

The updated palemoon browser will be included in Dpup Stretch RC4, but for RC2/RC3 you can download the updated palemoon bzipped tarball and extract the new palemoon folder to replace the old /opt/palemoon folder.

Download x86 tar.bz2 (direct download)
http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

01101001b

#430 Post by 01101001b »

radky wrote:You could update to palemoon 28.2.1 or greater.
Been there, done that. Problem is even worse (to me at least). Beats me why. I had to go back to 28.2.0.
Just my 2 cents :(

EDIT: My bad. Now I remember the real reason I quit 28.2.1 was because Whatsapp Web got frozen badly when zooming in a picture :shock:
Last edited by 01101001b on Sat 01 Dec 2018, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#431 Post by s243a »

My package manager said that net-tools was installed:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/net-tools
but I didn't have arp an rarp. I reinstalled it and I was able to get these commands but when I try to run arp it says "applet not found". This doesn't make any sense because there aren't many dependencies for net-tools. Maybe I need a kernal module or something?

Edit: in lieu of arp I can use:

ip neigh show
but I would still like to know why arp doesn't work.
Last edited by s243a on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#432 Post by s243a »

By chance does anyone know if there is a specific user id and group id that I should give to avachi. I want to try the following command:

avahi-browse -at
https://askubuntu.com/questions/161377/ ... -on-my-lan

but when I try it I get the error:

# avahi-browse -at
Failed to create client object: Daemon not running
# avahi-browse -alr
Failed to create client object: Daemon not running
# avahi-discover
Failed to connect to Avahi Server (Is it running?): org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.FileInvalid: Cannot do system-bus activation with no user
I think I need to create a user and group for Avachi. On a related note I'm looking for commands to see the hostnames of the machines on my network. The following two commands both work:

nbtscan 192.168.1.0/24
nmap --script smb-os-discovery -p 445 192.168.1.0/24
but they only give me the host names of host running "NETBIOS nameservers"
http://www.unixwiz.net/tools/nbtscan.html
(i.e. windows machines or linux machines running samba). My router can see all the hostnames but it doesn't seem to share them with the network (maybe for security reasons?) but I think if a PC runs a nameserver (like Avachi or NETBIOS) then all machines on the network can see the hostname.

radky

#433 Post by radky »

01101001b wrote:
I have that awful, uncontrollable scrolling in YT (YouTube) but the (Palemoon) browser scrolling works ok in many different sites I visit.
@01101001b,
Running Palemoon 28.2.1 in the upcoming stretch RC4, I find scrolling is smooth with YouTube and the major news sites such as bbc.com, abc.com, cbs.com and nbc.com. Those news sites take a few moments to load all the javascript components but, once fully loaded, each web page scrolls smoothly for me in Palemoon 28.2.1. I have broadband internet, so loading those javascript-laden pages is relatively quick, but page loading would be much slower if your internet connection is slow.

radky

#434 Post by radky »

@s243a wrote:
My package manager said that net-tools was installed... but I didn't have arp and rarp.
@s243a,
The upcoming stretch RC4 will have net-tools (1.60+git20161116.90da8a0-1) which includes arp and rarp.

Running arp in RC4 seems to work correctly for me.

However, rarp is an obsolete networking protocol which is not supported by the 4.9.X kernel in Dpup Stretch.

---

@s243a wrote:
By chance does anyone know if there is a specific user id and group id that I should give to avahi.
Sorry @s243a, I have no experience with the Avahi networking implementation.

belham2

#435 Post by belham2 »

radky wrote:
belham2 wrote: Palemoon [browsing] is catchy & jerky (i.e yahoo, major news sites, major media (youtube), etc)
Hi belham2,

As of v28.2.0, the palemoon browser supports Asynchronous Panning and Zooming (APZ) which may improve scrolling on webpages laden with imbedded javascript (such as yahoo, major news sites, etc.).

APZ decouples scrolling from the javascript thread, allowing smoother scrolling.

You could update to palemoon 28.2.1 or greater. Hopefully this will improve your browsing experience.

Keep in mind, the palemoon updater in stretch RC2/RC3 is now deprecated and no longer functions for palemoon 28.X.X.

The updated palemoon browser will be included in Dpup Stretch RC4, but for RC2/RC3 you can download the updated palemoon bzipped tarball and extract the new palemoon folder to replace the old /opt/palemoon folder.

Download x86 tar.bz2 (direct download)
http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

Hi Radky,

Thanks for responding. I have tried (to paraphrase Clint Eastwood: "Every which way but loose") to get Palemoon to play nice on the scrolling feature. It is just not your RC versions, but it happens across so many pups and ddogs that I just don't understand how I can be the only one seeing it. Yet, it is nice to see someone else here suffering the problem. Even the latest Palemoon suffers from the same problem.

Anyway, I gave up on Palemoon---again---it's like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football---I come back and give Palemoon a chance again---and, still, it whiffs & misses.

I have went back to Firefox (and even Seamonkey), neither of which suffers the stuttering, slow, jerky scrolling, and/or all the blink browsers, not one of which either suffers that problem.

Am really looking forward to the RC4 version......overall this is just one really good pup you've got going. Thank you for all the hard work in keeping it up.

ETP

avahi

#436 Post by ETP »

@s243a
By chance does anyone know if there is a specific user id and group id that I should give to avahi.
The following post may be of help with regard to avahi implementation.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 269#990190

Before using 120 I checked with

cat /etc/group
that it was not already in use, saw that 119 was used by the haldaemon & took a chance on the next available.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

01101001b

#437 Post by 01101001b »

radky wrote:@01101001b,
Running Palemoon 28.2.1 in the upcoming stretch RC4, I find scrolling is smooth [...]
Thank you Radky. Good to know there will be a solution sooner or later for this scrolling nuisance. I'll be looking forward to RC4. Thanks for your answer!

01101001b

#438 Post by 01101001b »

belham2 wrote:
radky wrote:As of v28.2.0, the palemoon browser supports Asynchronous Panning and Zooming (APZ) which may improve scrolling on webpages laden with imbedded javascript [...]
Even the latest Palemoon suffers from the same problem.
Anyway, I gave up on Palemoon---again---
"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold your horses, partner!" :wink: Maybe you can try one last thing. Humor me ;-)

EDIT: - SOLVED - (need confirmation though)

Long story short: Since nobody but belham2 and me seems to have any scrolling trouble in Pale Moon, it becomes clear is not Pale Moon related. So it was possible some addon were wreaking havoc.

After searching and testing, I found ublock origin adds "stuttering" to scroll and with ublock disabled, scroll stutters disappear.

Looking deeper, scrolling quirks also disappear is ublock origin is enable BUT in its settings, you turn off "comestic filtering".

So far, scrolling in Yahoo pages, Google searches and YT seem to be ok.
Last edited by 01101001b on Thu 20 Dec 2018, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

01101001b

#439 Post by 01101001b »

Hi everybody!
Question:
Why is rox-filer (not rox) not retaining any change in its settings? That is, changes in icon theme or icon view (size) are lost every time I boot my system. They only last until I shutdown my system or I restart the WM. Something seems to be writing default values in each boot, because I can see changes appear in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options but they don't persist.

EDIT: SOLVED.
I found inside this file (/root/.config/openbox/autostart) the culprit. There, some code changed roxfiler options in every boot to default values. Amazing :?

oui

#440 Post by oui »

01101001b wrote: EDIT: SOLVED.
I found inside this file (/root/.config/openbox/autostart) the culprit. There, some code changed roxfiler options in every boot to default values. Amazing
yes, really amazing. but not wonder: it is classical in Puppy. depending of the implementation of Puppy a lot of values return to the default values each restart: sound, .jwmrc, xorgconf, UTC/localtime etc., excepted if you know where they are and remaster including your standard settings in /root or /etc. this possibility is explained explicitly in the help texts of «Remaster PUPPY live-CD»! but where is the setting sheet for Rox or for alsamixer?