Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 16:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Just-Lighthouse64-706
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Dry Falls

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov 2017, 02:30    Post subject:  Just-Lighthouse64-706
Subject description: slackware64-current

App: JL64
Latest Version: 706 k4.13.6
Homepage: just-lighthouse.000webhostapp.com

JL64-706 iso: Just-Lighthouse64-706.iso
md5sum: 2cc08903c9300a9c1dc68db916c1046f

Download Directory:
JL-706 Experimental slackware64-current

Dual-hybrid iso & sfs files - Changes:
20171114 JL64-704 updated to slackware64-current (gcc-720, glibc-2.26). Not yet Salix compatible (still at 14.2) but many packages will work. Consider this alpha quality.
Gordie

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov 2017, 12:40    Post subject:  

Why oh why would you use Slackware Current? It is as unstable as Hell most days. This is NOT equal to a rolling release
Dry Falls

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov 2017, 13:13    Post subject:  

see above:
Quote:
Consider this alpha quality.

I'm practicing, ok? By the time 14.2 is obsolete and slackware issues the next stable release, I may have just figured this stuff out!

df
TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Sat 25 Nov 2017, 19:32    Post subject:  

Though doing this seems like common knowledge, I can't install this pup. I removed the vmlinuz, initrd, and main sfs file from the iso and directed grub to find the files with the pdev1, psubdir, and pupsfs parameters. The boot process stops with the complaint that it can't find the main sfs. I also tried placing the files closer to the drive root so they could be more easily found. Does this situation require editing the initrd file? If so, can you briefly describe how to do this?

Thanks.....
Dry Falls

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov 2017, 17:53    Post subject:  

TyroBGinner wrote:
Though doing this seems like common knowledge, I can't install this pup. I removed the vmlinuz, initrd, and main sfs file from the iso and directed grub to find the files with the pdev1, psubdir, and pupsfs parameters. The boot process stops with the complaint that it can't find the main sfs. I also tried placing the files closer to the drive root so they could be more easily found. Does this situation require editing the initrd file? If so, can you briefly describe how to do this?

Thanks.....

Looks like the kernel and initrd.xz loaded alright since you got the message "can't find the main sfs". The problem is either where you placed the main sfs (JL64-706.sfs) or in your added parameters. psubdir can only be one level down on the drive/partition (a top level folder), and pdev1 has to be in the form of "sda*", not hdd. You probably only need pmedia parameter if booting from a different device.

df
TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 19:41    Post subject: What really happened...  

Thanks for the response, Dry Falls.

Before entering my first message here, I had tried placing the central files in a typical subdirectory such as sda3:/lin/jl. Then I tried placing them on the device root, namely, sda3:/ - neither method worked. I never used the archaic notation of "hdX" in any of these cases.

When the booting failed, and the output displayed the "dropping to /dev/console" message (or similar), I looked to see if the $PDEV1 and $PSUBDIR variables had been assigned, and they had not - they were simply blank. I then edited the init script to directly assign those variables to the correct values, and they still came up blank.

So, I put the whole "jl" subdirectory into the root of another partition, such that the three central files resided in sda7:/jl - and then the booting went smoothly. The only difference that I can see here is that sda3 was formatted to ntfs and sda7 was formatted to ext2. Perhaps this could be a source of trouble for others. It may be necessary to place at least some puppy distros onto linux or unix-esque filesystems rather than DOS/Windows filesystems.

Thanks for providing all the sfs files. Did you make any info available on what those programs do?
Dry Falls

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 10:32    Post subject: Re: What really happened...  

TyroBGinner wrote:
The only difference that I can see here is that sda3 was formatted to ntfs and sda7 was formatted to ext2. Perhaps this could be a source of trouble for others. It may be necessary to place at least some puppy distros onto linux or unix-esque filesystems rather than DOS/Windows filesystems.

Thanks for providing all the sfs files. Did you make any info available on what those programs do?

Yes, I wouldn't recommend putting lighthouse (or fatdog, for that matter) on anything other than ext3 or ext4. I've not had any luck with f2fs. As I recall, ext2 was pretty clunky. The base file and sfs files don't need to be with the kernel and initrd.xz (which contains the modules). They (the kernel package) are fine left on the boot partition, however it's formatted. In fact, if you use grub2, it's better if the base & sfs files are somewhere else entirely.

So far, only sfs-update has very brief descriptions of the various sfs addons.

glad to hear you got it to boot. Thanks for the interest.

df
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: