Blueman won't start because of missing shared libs

Using applications, configuring, problems
nupogodi

Blueman won't start because of missing shared libs

#1 Post by nupogodi »

Hi everybopdy.I just installed blueman application to share files between my computer and my smartphone using a usb bluetooth adapter.Unfortunatelly the application won't start because there are missing libraries.I saw those missing libraries when the installation process ended but now i can't find a way to find those missing libraries and install them.I am using puppy slacko 6.9.9.Is there any way to find them via the package manager?Thank you in advance for your help.

mikeslr

Maybe

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi nupogodi,

In the future, including if you need further help on this problem, tell us exactly which application --its exact name-- you installed and exactly where you obtained it --via PPM or at a specific url. Cut & paste the url.

PPM keeps a record of all pets installed and, I think, any other package. If the package you installed was a 'pet --perhaps other packages-- look for a file with the name of your package in /root/.packages. Note the '.'/dot. It's a hidden file. Browse to /root and, if using rox, left-click its EYE. These are text files you can open in a text editor. They list every file which was installed.

Perhaps there's more informative way to locate and later solve the problem. Whether or not your pet created a Menu listing, browse to /usr/share/applications and look for a desktop file with a likely name for your application. If it's there, open it in a text editor and see what name is used in the Exec= argument. Knowing the name will help in the next steps.

Open Menu>file-system>pfind and plug in the name you found. Otherwise, try blueman, and if that doesn't produce results, just blue. What you are searching for is the application's binary/executable. They will always be in a "bin" or "sbin" folder, such as /usr/bin or /usr/sbin. Browse to the folder and open a terminal there: Right-click>Windows>Terminal Here. Then type, without the quotes and making appropriate substitution, Code:

ldd EXACT_NAME_OF_BINARY > /root/problem.txt

This will produce a text file in /root with the name problem.txt. The contents of that file will show both the necessary files found and not found.

Alternatively, your Puppy may have a nice GUI for doing the last step. Look for Menu>Utility>ListDD list dynamic dependencies. Using it, browse to the binary and select it. ListDD has a tab at the bottom named "missing". Clicking it will open a window showing just what files were missing. You can cut & paste it into a text file for future reference.

Knowing the name of the binary, you can also type it into a terminal to find out what other problems, beyond 'missing' files there may be.

Sometimes the file in a bin/sbin folder isn't a binary itself, but only a link to it (for example, a link to /opt/) or a bash script or wrapper. If the former, right-click the link and select "show target". If the later, open the bash script in a text editor and look for the actual binary.

ldd will not work if your application involves python and, perhaps, other 'frame-works'.

"Knowing" that "something" was installed when an application can't find it suggests two possible problems. The first is that the something wasn't the exact version of the something your system can use. Generic file names aren't sufficient either for your system or for us to help you. The second is that the something is at a location your system can't access. This can usually be solved by copying or symlinking it to a location your system can access.

mikesLr

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Maybe this will help you.

First I would un-install Blueman.

In PPM(Puppy package manager)
First update the database.
Do a search for bluez
That should be the bluetooth program for Slacko.

There is also this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109828
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nupogodi

#4 Post by nupogodi »

I am so gratefull to both of you for the answers thank you so much.I managed to find the missing libraries by clicking Menu>Setup>Check dependencies installed pkg.The name of the application is Blueman and the missing library is libbluetooth.so3.Now i am trying to find it cheers.

nupogodi

#5 Post by nupogodi »

Ok i found all the missing libraries and installed them but unfortunately blueman won't start.I enter bluemoon in the terminal and i get the following message :failed to open HCI user channel.That happens when the adapter is unpluged from the usb gate of the computer.When i plug the adapter in the usb gate and enter bluemoon in the terminal again the aplication won't start and there is no error message. :(

By using google i found tha those who have 3.19 kernel like i do have the same issue.

mikeslr

Problem with Blueman for Smartphone Transfer

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again nupogodi,

Now that you've got a firm handle on what the problem is there are several possible solutions. But before trying any of them your best course of action is to thoroughly search the web to see if a possible solution may lead to a dead end.

And make a note to yourself that you may want to uninstall blueman and any files you added in your effort to get it working. If they're not needed, they take up space and may conflict with an actual solution.

1. Obviously, the cable which came with your smartphone. If it's not already on your system, (I think Network Submenu) you may want to install go-mtp (Media Transfer Protocol): http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 416#752416. Make a note of the instructions on that post. According to 01micko, the Dev who publishes the Slacko puppies, in a reply post shortly after tempestuous' post, "it works."

2. Does the Bluez application bigpup suggested have the same problem? If not, uninstall Blueman, install Bluez.

3. If your use of 'Bluetooth' was only to transfer files between your OS and your smartphone, AFAIK all puppies have a built in FTP application. They show up on the Network Submenu. You'll find many FTP apps on google's Playstore.

4. "i found that those who have 3.19 kernel like i do have the same issue." Did the Blueman problem exist with earlier kernels? Was it fixed in Slackware using later kernels? Because of how recent Puppy's are built, changing kernels is easy. You'll find many kernels here: http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Kernels/. Among them are "Hugh Kernels" with the designation slacko or an "s" signifying they were created under Slacko. But that's only suggestive. The Hugh Kernels can be used in any Puppy. My recollection is that those having the designation 4.1.x and 4.9.x have generally been recommended. [I think only those files which end in tar.bz2 or tar.xz can be used in changing kernels].

I change kernels entirely manually. But 01micko has created a pet which will do most of it. For the pet and instructions, see: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 231#899231.

5. Your research revealed the problem with the 3.19 kernel. But you didn't mention if that only existed under Slackware. Did your research also reveal a similar problem for those running Ubuntu Trusty Tahr or Ubuntu Xenial Xerus? Are there such problems? If not, you may want to consider replacing your Slacko with either Tahrpup or Xenialpup. Their names are derived from the Ubuntu models whose binaries were used in their creation.

Warning. Puppies are addictive. :) There's great satisfaction in overcoming problems so that you end up with an operating system which runs rings around others. Doing so combines the intellectual challenge of solving a mystery with something like the joy a young child has playing with blocks. :lol:

mikesLr

nupogodi

#7 Post by nupogodi »

Thank you so much mikeslr for you efforts to help me.The problem with the kernel i told before was mentionted by an Ubuntu user.Your indication about the ftp in the menu of the puppy helped me a lot and actually this is the only thing i wanted to do with the adapter.I should also say that in my first post i forgot to mention that the bluetooth adapter didn't work the way it should-basically it couldn't find other devices- under linux mint and windows xp.So thanks to you i will uninstall blueman and i will use ftp file transfer but firsrtly i should read on the net the proper info and then learn how to use and configure ftp.Cheers everybody. :D

mikeslr

FTP to Smartphone > Samba Server

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again nupogodi,

Maybe gcmartin's posts will lead you in the right direction: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 364#907364 and http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 551#907551

And search, http://wellminded.net63.net/, for posts by rcrsn51 about Samba and YASSM (Yet Another Samba Share Mounter).

P.S. You've now entered an area I know little about. I setup a network years ago to my wife's now defunct computer, and have forgotten what I did. Figuring out how to setup a network isn't high on my list of things to do; perhaps because there's some truth my my wife's claim that the only exercise I get is walking between computers and the TVs. :(

mikesLr

nupogodi

#9 Post by nupogodi »

Thank you so much mikeslr for the useful links you provided to me you 're so kind.I have a friend who could also guide me on ftp servers and the last link of that search page seems very helpful in case i d like to find something on the net.Have a nice day. :D