Simple jpg viewer / slideshow - script request

Using applications, configuring, problems
musher0

#31 Post by musher0 »

@greengeek:

mencoder is part of the mplayer suite. AFAIK, it is seldom available by itself. Which
is why you are not finding it under its own entry in the PPM.

Also, because some devs choose not to include it at compile time, some mplayer
packages will have it and some won't. There are some ready-made binaries here,
though: https://pkgs.org/download/mencoder, One of the the Debian or
Ubuntu binaries might be usable on your Pup.

IHTH. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

greengeek

#32 Post by greengeek »

trapster wrote:If by "trap" you mean save them...My camera saves them right to my server via ftp
Yeah, "trap" is probably the wrong word - it's just that I have been looking at a bunch of methods to get sequential jpg snapshots triggered by a motion event - even trialling taking screenshots of a portion of the screen that is displaying a webcam feed. If your camera is creates jpg directly at the source that makes it pretty straightforward.

My reason for wanting jpgs is that I eventually hoped to be able to get my system to upload single jpgs across the internet (via cellphone/3G) as the property I want to monitor is 150 miles away.

As part of that I plan to have a separate motion detector which can alert my Puppy that the "current" image needs to be uploaded as it has trapped some form of unexpected activity.

I also plan to connect multiple webcams to my PC once I have got the basic functionality sorted.

greengeek

#33 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:mencoder is part of the mplayer suite. .... There are some ready-made binaries here,
though: https://pkgs.org/download/mencoder, One of the the Debian or
Ubuntu binaries might be usable on your Pup.
Thanks musher. I went to that link and tried a couple (Arch and Deb Jessie) but i haven't stumbled upon the best version yet - missing libs. I will try to pin down which package is the best match.
cheers!