XenialPup64 With XFCE-4.12

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

#76 Post by Marv »

Hi battleshooter,
I'm running peebees latest 4.15.0 64-bit kernel from LxPupSc 18.01 +8T in your XFCE XenialPup64. Boots and runs fine and it's the first I've seen with both meltdown mitigation and full spectre 2 mitigation. Once the kernel wonks get the spectre 1 mitigation finished that might be a good time to update the kernel.

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

battleshooter

#77 Post by battleshooter »

Thank you for the advice Marv, that's an easy upgrade path.

It appears I have returned to hibernation mode again. I'm sorry for that even though it can't be helped. I wish I could be a more regular puppian but I can't seem to do more than turn up every now and again.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

Marv

#78 Post by Marv »

battleshooter wrote:Thank you for the advice Marv, that's an easy upgrade path.

It appears I have returned to hibernation mode again. I'm sorry for that even though it can't be helped. I wish I could be a more regular puppian but I can't seem to do more than turn up every now and again.
Just as information, peebees 4.14.18 64-bit kernel (in the most recent LxPupSc) now has meltdown and both spectre v1 and v2 mitigation. I'm running that across the board.

Hibernate happily, we all do sometimes.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

wadmalaw

appropriate repositories re: kernel swap

#79 Post by wadmalaw »

Truly appreciate battleshooter, peebee and marv's recent posts/efforts... would be lost otherwise.

Enjoying the kernel swap xenial64 hybrid as marv suggested. However, there is so much pollen here now I question every thought I have re: this concept. Swapping kernels is not something I'd previously delved into... not sure I'm thinking about this right.

Am I correct in thinking that if I run a hybrid longterm I should either...

1.) figure out how to connect to the repository associated with the kernel (vs. xenial64 connected ppm repos)

... and if I'm currently too daft to get that right (highly likely)...

2.) would it be an appropriate workaround to load iso matching what the kernel in use (in desired hybrid arrangement) is/should point at and download pkgs from there and then reboot into hybrid and load them manually in the hybrid?

... sorry... I'm likely having trouble explaining this coherently...

What I'm currently happily running is battleshooters xenial64xfce with swapped kernel (4.15.5 from peebee's LxPup-SC) and I was thinking I needed to use slacko6414.2 associated repositories after looking at various distro_specs.

If anyone can confirm or straighten me out on that basic concept I can run... err... crawl.... with it.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Marv

#80 Post by Marv »

Hi wadmalaw,

That 4.15.5 is what I'm currently running now on all my pups (32b and 64b) except for one set of core 2 duo machines where it is just too new for them, the 4.4.xx series is as new as they will go. Shows up right away on boot there.

Long story short but in general, I think you are best sticking with the repo or repos that were originally associated with the distro (xenial64 connected ppm repos in this case), primarily because you have the best chance of library compatibility with any progs you add using the PPM. Firmware is kernel independent and the newer kernels have the bulk of the drivers built in and what isn't is carried in the zdrv you swapped in along with the 4.15.5 vmlinux.

I've run 'hybrids' for a long time now, probably dating back to the Pentium M/forcepae era, and again, generally speaking, if it boots cleanly and has reasonable video, sound etc., the kernel won't get in the way of any progs you install. Much more often, it is libraries and other dependencies that do.

Cheers,

wadmalaw

#81 Post by wadmalaw »

Marv, thanks soooooo much. Was beginning to test my flawed concept... you saved me from myself. :D (Sometimes I think I need a minder this time of year... envious of those who sneeze vs. lose scores of effective IQ pts.) :shock:

Also thanks for the mention of the core 2 duo kernel max/ceiling... that was next on the list.

THANKS !!! THANKS !!! THANKS !!!

Marv

#82 Post by Marv »

wadmalaw wrote: Also thanks for the mention of the core 2 duo kernel max/ceiling... that was next on the list.
You may find that the 4.15.5 kernel will work in your hardware and if you do a pristine frugal install it's real quick to check. What I saw in my Fujitsu S6220 laptops was some kind of strange video driver/touchpad cursor interaction. The screen brightness was split horizontally at the cursor position :? and the split followed the cursor position. I decided it wasn't worth chasing as sooner or later a 4.4.xx kernel with full mitigation will show up and a quick swap in of 4.4.59 was fine in that hardware.

wadmalaw

#83 Post by wadmalaw »

Thanks for further thought. I did test 4.15.5 yesterday... accidentally... rapid screen flicker on Thinkpad 500. The screen flicker followed the cursor (in general). Way over my head to even contemplate... bailed immediately.