2-in-1 Atom based tablet pc running FatDog linux

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
stemsee

2-in-1 Atom based tablet pc running FatDog linux

#1 Post by stemsee »

I am running FatDog derived FatHouse 64bit distro on an HP x2 n100 atom z8300 2-in-1 10.1" tablet/laptop hybrid. I bought it from ebay for £80. It is as new condition and this price seems to be fairly common price point.

Compared to the Asus T100/101ha line of hybrids, the HP screen orientation is correct from bootup to X gui, and needs no additional rotate commands for horizontal use, which is usually the preferred orientation. The device works fine when attached to the magnetic keyboard and also when in tablet mode detached from the keyboard, using only the touchscreen.

Typically Baytrail/Cherrytrail specific hardware is as yet not fully supported by the linux kernel. However since 4.11 kernel release more hardware is supported.

I compiled kernel 4.13.3 with all cherrytrail and intel options enabled plus more hid and i2c hardware support enabled, together with additional firmware.

The result is that I have wifi, touchscreen (2 finger pinch-2-zoom, right-click), hdmi sound output, basic touchpad (single finger) support, bluetooth, acpi seems to be working, hardware buttons for screen brightness +/-, opengl accelerated graphics all working.

That which is not fully working is sound output (bluetooth stereo output is fine). Some sound pins are available in the mixer panel but nothing as yet gets routed to speakers or headphone socket. The sd card reader is not fully functional yet, but on a subsequent kernel compile with changed options it appeared to register sd card removable during bootup. The other notable unsupported hardware is the inbuilt cam. The battery monitor is also not available. Searching forums shows that no workarounds have yet been found for these items.

As I am dual booting with Windows 10 I always have the option to boot into windows 10 with all hardware fully working albeit in a sluggish software environment.

I recommend this tablet as it gives a snappy performance with significant performance improvement over atom baytrail cpu.

mistfire

#2 Post by mistfire »

Hi there, Can you try X-Slacko Slim on your hybrid tablet. I want to see if the touchscreen works on that puplet. Thank you