Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 13:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to create a new folder in Home folder?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
JFB

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct 2017, 17:59    Post subject:  How to create a new folder in Home folder?  

Is there some way that I can create a new folder in my Home Folder? I would like to create a Pictures Folder and a Videos Folder. I'm sure there must be a way, because, when I downloaded something, a Downloads Folder appeared... Thanks...
april

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct 2017, 18:16    Post subject:  

What I do is create a Folder into which I will put all my stuff.
Assuming you have a hard drive, an sda1 appears lower left ,click on it then in the filer that opens right click and choose "new". It will let you choose new directory.

Name it whatever.

Now go to your browser preferences and ensure all downloads go there by altering the download folder choice
Seamonkey Edit->Preferences->browser->downloads->save to...choose your folder .

If you don't do it that way your home folder fills up pretty damn quick.

If for some reason you can't access sda1 then you can choose each time if you select that in preferences and send it to whatever device you have available but try to save outside of home.
JFB

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct 2017, 19:53    Post subject:  

Okay, so, make a New > Directory in the Home Folder. Thanks again...
april

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 04:41    Post subject:  

That will work but you will find it will fill up your savefile pretty quick .

After doing that reread the above post
JFB

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 07:59    Post subject:  

I didn't mention that I have Puppy 6.0.5 installed on the hard drive of an old netbook. So, I don't think that I have a savefile. What I save is saved to the hard drive. Your info was most useful for helping me understand that, in Puppy, a Directory = Folder. I'm new to Puppy, so I have a lot to learn. I'm sure that I will be a regular poster in the Beginners Help forum... Thanks again...
musher0

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 12:34    Post subject: Re: How to create a new folder in Home folder?  

JFB wrote:
Is there some way that I can create a new folder in my Home Folder?
I would like to create a Pictures Folder and a Videos Folder. I'm sure there
must be a way, because, when I downloaded something, a Downloads
Folder appeared... Thanks...
Hi JFB.

What's a bit confusing with Puppy is that
-- there is a "home" dir. (directory) for you, the user, and
-- a "home" dir. for the Puppy system.

-- "Home" dir. for you, the user, is /root
-- "Home" dir. for the Puppy system is /mnt/home (a partition [or disk])

All Puppies have a /root/my-documents directory. Go see for yourself!
Some Puppies offer in addition
/root/my-documents/Texts
/root/my-documents/Videos
/root/my-documents/Pictures
/root/my-documents/Music

If you don't have those sub-divisions, create them? It's as simple as
opening a console and typing
Code:
mkdir /root/my-documents/Texts
mkdir /root/my-documents/Videos
mkdir /root/my-documents/Pictures
mkdir /root/my-documents/Music
(< mkdir > is the Linux command to "make a directory").
And then you have them.

Now, as April said above, if you're a movie or video buff, movies and
videos take a lot of space. So it's better to move your
/root/my-documents/Videos directory to your home disk so your pupsave
file won't get clogged.

(If you have a frugal install in a folder on your main disk, instead of in a
pupsave file, you don't need to do this. Just skip the rest of this post.)

Again in console, type
Code:
mkdir /mnt/home/Videos
cd /mnt/home/Videos
cp /root/my-documents/Videos/*.* .
(The final dot is important. It's Bash Linux shorthand for "here".)

Now go check if you have a copy of your films in /mnt/home/Videos.

If everything copied ok, you can replace the original Videos directory with
a link to the new one, like so:
Code:
rm -i /root/my-documents/Videos/*
(The -i is for confirmation on your part that deleting is ok.)

When you're finished deleting those movies and videos, type:
Code:
rmdir /root/my-documents/Videos
ln -s /mnt/home/Videos /root/my-documents/Videos

You now have the external /mnt/home/Videos directory which you can fill
with as many movies and videos as your disk can hold, and a link to it, at
/root/my-documents/Videos, for easy access.

IHTH.
~~~~~~~~~
P.S. I'm sure one of the guys and girls here will bad-mouth me for having
introduced you to console commands!!! Wink

« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
JFB

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 18:31    Post subject:  

I did a Full install (not a frugal); everything is on the computer's hard drive. Do I even have a pupsave file? I have never seen one...
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 18:51    Post subject:  

JFB wrote:
I did a Full install (not a frugal); everything is on the computer's hard drive.
Do I even have a pupsave file? I have never seen one...

Hello again, JFB.

If you made a full install, you do not have or need a pupsave file.

But backing up your system will be more difficult than if you had a frugal
install with a pupsave file.

In a full install situation, you are also more at risk (IMO), since your entire
Puppy system is exposed as ordinary files.

Finally you will not be able to use sfs packages in a full-install situation.
You will have to install any new package and if you do not like it, it will be
more difficult to un-install.

BFN..

« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
JFB

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2017, 21:57    Post subject:  

I am using Tahrpup 6.0.5. I now have a Frugal install on one of my old netbooks. In what I assume is my Home directory/folder (a folder on the desktop labeled "file" that has a house on it) I made four new directories/folders (Texts, Pictures, Videos, Music) inside the my-documents directory/folder. That is about as far as I have gotten; because I don't quite understand what you are trying to tell me about my pupsave file. (What I see is a "Tahrsave" file, which I'm assuming is the pupsave file.) If you don't mind trying to clarify it again, please tell me what I need to do now to avoid the problem of filling up, clogging, my pupsave/Tahrsave file. By the way, I am (at the moment) using Pale Moon as my browser, and I have the preferences set to "Always ask me where to save files". Thank you for your patience...
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 06:08    Post subject:  

Morning, JFB.

Bad Musher0! Laughing Terminal commands, for a beginner... I don't know, really I don't. Shocked Laughing

No, you'll find, as with so much stuff in Linux (where absolutely everything is treated as one giant, interconnected file-system), there's more than one way of achieving your goal.

Musher0 has shown you the traditional, Linux 'geek' way of doing what has been described. You may find the graphical method more easy (especially if you've been used to Windows or Mac):-

a) Open the partition (/mnt/home; the one with the 'house' icon.....Puppy's 'home') where you've put these folders you've described. Leave it open, and move it to one side of the screen. Don't cover up the top-left 'files' icon!

b) Now, click on 'Files' to open the /root folder (your 'home'). Move this so the two windows are visible together, if your screen real estate permits it! Smile

What you're going to do is create 'sym-links' from your root folder to your personal folders in /mnt/home. This way, Puppy 'sees' the folders in /root, but they're not taking up space in your save-folder. With me so far?

Okay.

Click on any one of the folders you've created, and hold left-click. Now, drag the folder across to /root, and release the mouse button. You should see a small window appear, with four options. For our purposes, you want to click on the bottom option; 'Link(absolute)'.

That's it! You'll see a small arrow appear at the top-left corner of the folder icon, indicating that it's a sym-link. Puppy will 'see' this, but the real contents are in /mnt/home.

Now just repeat this for the other folders.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 21:23    Post subject: Home Folder and HomeDrive  

Hi JFB,

I think that 'The Other Mike' has gotten it right. But I'm not sure since the use of the terms "Home" and "Files" --the latter referring to the desktop folder by that name-- is confusing. The confusion is neither yours nor Mike Walsh's fault. The problem is with naming conventions and begins at the time Unix was ported to desktop computers, later and further complicated by devs frequently familiar with the naming conventions used in Linux, newbies by the naming conventions used in Windows and the fact that Puppies ‘run as root’ --that is with the right to do anything to the computer and the operating system-- and, consequently, unlike other Linux distros, do not have distinct folders for each user.

With a Frugal Install, you have both a Home Folder and a Home Drive/Partition. Your Home Drive/Partition is on your Storage Medium. On bootup, Tahrpup reads information into Random Access Memory from your HomeDrive, creating your Operating System which is only in Random Access Memory (RAM). Your Home Folder is only in RAM. [It serves pretty much the same purpose as the ‘Documents and Settings Folder' under Windows]. Anything in RAM is wiped out when you shut down, unless you’ve manually Saved it to Storage, or such Save automatically takes place. [By default, Frugal Tahrpup is set to perform a Save every 30 minutes. However, you can instruct* Tahrpup to automatically Save over a range of time from once every minute to NEVER with the option to be asked at Shutdown, and the power to manually Save at any time].

The desktop icon at the Top-Left, which is named “files” (or Home) is a symlink (short-cut) to your Home Folder (in RAM). The desktop icon just above the Taskbar which immediately on bootup has an “x” in its top-right corner is a symlink (short-cut) to your HomeDrive. [HomeDrive is on Storage, whatever medium Puppy booted from: Drive, partition if a drive was partitioned, USB-Key (or partition on that Key), CD or DVD].

The attached Schematic is how Puppies see your Operating System. But remember, the folder at the top with the name ‘root’ and the symbol ‘/’ which is also known as Home/Files is in RAM; while the HomeDrive (AKA dev_save) is on your Storage media.

The following information starts with the condition of a Frugal Tahrpup which you haven't yet customized.

On Storage is a file named puppy_tahr_XXX.sfs. Within that file are files and folders, including one named “root”. When you boot into tahrpup the first time it copies files from Storage into RAM (and creates pointers in RAM to where the rest of the files are located on Storage). When you shut-down the first time and create a SaveFile or a SaveFolder, it writes to Storage another file or folder named something like tahrsave_XXX.sfs [a SaveFolder would not have the .sfs ending]. In that file/folder there is also a folder named root which was copied from RAM. The next time you boot into tahrpup, it will copy into RAM some of the contents of both the root folders from puppy_tahr_XXX.sfs and from tahrsave_XXX.sfs. The pointers Tahrpup creates will point to the file which has precedence. If both the ‘root’ folders in Storage have a file with the same name, the one from tahrsave –having precedence-- will over-write the other so that only it remains in RAM. Tahrpup only responds to what remains in RAM and your display only shows what remains in RAM. That root folder in RAM is your Home Folder, i.e., the one which corresponds to Windows “Documents and Settings”.

As of this post, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=972497&sid=b9832f7c7ec2a54b3ab71e9f5c38ff3c#972497 the folders you created, (Texts, Pictures, Videos, Music) are in your Home Folder, and if you Saved, there are also copies in tahrsave_xxx taking up space. If you created a SaveFolder you don’t have to do anything. A SaveFolder will expand to the full available space on its partition. But if you have a SaveFile, as April told you, it can quickly become filled up. When you create a SaveFile, you have to tell Tahrpup how much of your drive/partition to use. [Save files can not be made smaller, but you can make them larger: Menu>Utility>Resize Personal Storage File]. If you’re not certain which you have, you can visually check. Click the desktop drive icon which is the symlink to your HomeDrive. If you ‘installed’ tahrpup to the top of that drive, you’ll see either an icon named tahrsave_XXX.sfs (a SaveFile) or one named tahrsave_XXX (without the .sfs) which is a SaveFolder. If you ‘installed’ tahrpup to a folder, Left-Click the folder and you’ll see one or the other.

If you have a SaveFile, to keep it from quickly filling it up –and to otherwise reduce wear and tear on your system-- I recommend the following. Left-Click the desktop ‘files’ icon to open a window to your Home Folder. Leaving that window open, Left-click the HomeDrive icon to open a window to your HomeDrive. (If necessary, drag either or both windows so you can see both). Now Right-Click an empty space in the window showing your HomeDrive. From the popup menu select New>Directory and give it a name, such as “my_stuff”. Now place your mouse-cursor on the folder named Texts in your Home Folder window. Left-Press and then drag it into your ‘my_stuff’ folder and from the popup menu select Move. Now place your mouse cursor on the folder named Texts, Left-Press and then drag it back to your Home Folder window. From the popup menu select Link(relative). Do the same thing for each of the folders you created. I suggest you also do it with the folders named Download and my-documents.

All of those folders will now be physically located in Storage. Because of the symlinks (short-cuts), however, applications will still “see” them as being located in your Home Folder. That is the first place applications offer to open from and to write to.

While you still have the my_stuff folder open in rox, place your mouse-cursor on the 3rd icon from the left on rox’s toolbar. In a moment or two, you should get a tooltip which says “Bookmarks Menu”. On my system that icon looks like an arrow pointing to a ball. At any rate, if you left-clicked the correct icon you’ll get a popup menu, the top choice is “Add New Bookmark”. Selecting it will add a listing to the bottom of Bookmarks which will enable you to have rox quickly open to the ‘my_stuff’ folder.

REMEMBER TO SAVE.

You, of course, don’t have to create a ‘my_stuff’ folder. You could have moved your new folders into your my-documents folder and just moved that folder to your HomeDrive. Or you could have given ‘my_stuff’ some other name. Or you could have just moved each of the folders mentioned directly to your HomeDrive without creating a ‘my_stuff’ folder. I think, however, that the last choice eventually results in a messy/confusing view of what’s on HomeDrive; very quickly if you’re Frugal install is on a drive which has another operating system which has already scattered its folders on that drive.

mikesLr

* To change the Save interval, Left-click Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager; click the Save Session Tab, change the setting.
PupStructure3.png
Description  How Puppies See its Operating System
png

Download 
Filename  PupStructure3.png 
Filesize  105.25 KB 
Downloaded  14 Time(s) 
JFB

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct 2017, 14:32    Post subject:  

Okay. I think I got it.

I have symbolic links from: /mnt/home/Texts
/Videos
/Pictures
/Music

going to: ~/my-documents/Texts
/Videos
/Pictures
/Music

When I save, for example, a photo to home/my--documents/Pictures, the photo also shows up /mnt/home/Pictures as well. I suppose (I have not tested this yet) that will keep my save file clean...

(Also, I am using a Frugal install on this computer...)
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct 2017, 17:32    Post subject:  

Hi JFB,

Well, you've almost got it. Actually, all there is at ~/my-documents/ are the symlinks to /mnt/home/. If you open ~/my-documents/ in rox, you'll see that the Text, Video, Pictures and Music Folders each have an Arrow at their tops indicating that they are symlinks. Other applications may only see them as folders. But All applications follow those symlinks to /mnt/home/.That includes your rox, your file-manager. So, if you try to look at any of the symlinks by clicking the folder you are automatically re-directed to their actual location: /mnt/home/.

For example, if you create a .txt file using Geany and save it to ~/my-documents/Text, it's actually saved to /mnt/home/Text. If you open Geany, click on ~/my-documents/Text, it opens /mnt/home/Text and views the documents which are there.

A symlink only use 1 byte or less space. So using symlinks to divert files out of /root --which is in your SaveFile-- keeps your SaveFile from being filled by those files.

mikesLr
JFB

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct 2017, 18:34    Post subject:  

Man, this is a trip... From what you described, I may have my symlinks backwards, anyway. Apparently I'm still not understanding what is supposed to be happening. I'm going to re-read every thing on this thread and start over. Sooner or later I'll get it...
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct 2017, 19:51    Post subject:  

Hi again, JFB.

Hopefully, this won't confuse things too much.....but there is another option for all this; one which I use myself, and I know many others also use.

You can do exactly what you've already done.....with one difference. Instead of locating your personal folders in /mnt/home (and then sym-linking them), you could, instead, create an extra partition on your hard drive specifically for personal stuff.....and label it something like 'DATA'.

As 'the other Mike' says, locating all of these folders in /mnt/home can end up making things rather messy over time. The beauty of locating everything on a separate 'DATA' partition is twofold:-

a) If you ever need to re-install Pup, your personal files are unaffected (and any backup of your Puppy won't be anything like so large, or so time-consuming). All you then need to do is to re-establish the sym-links again.....a matter of a couple minutes work.

b) If, at any time in the future, you may wish to add a second (or subsequent) Puppy, your personal stuff is still completely separate. Again, you then simply need to establish sym-links to the relevant locations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've put together a short video demonstration to illustrate how this works. Don't worry about the multitude of different locations I store my stuff in (I've got data partitions all over the place! Laughing ); all you need to do is pay attention to the manner in which the process is implemented...OK? Smile

Hopefully, it'll clarify matters a wee bit. You can find it here:-

https://youtu.be/7ZaRl0MKYdY

Let us know if that helps at all.

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: