Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 22 Oct 2017, 08:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
what is the actual FatDog64 170 final?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
slackfan

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 16:38    Post subject:  what is the actual FatDog64 170 final?
Subject description: a derivate of Slack or a derivate from LFS?

Hi

After that recommendation:

step wrote:
I would recommend in order:
2. If not found and if you have the skills compile the package yourself - ask questions if you get stuck
3. If you don't have the skills, post a request if someone would kindly compile the package for you.

Also, Smokey01's Puppy Newletter (search the forum) has a section on compiling programs. It's explained in very simple terms and may be a starting point.

and the pressing proposed challenge I have to think about compile myself packages (I am only user!) I am considering if I really do that (I did read with great respect the deception from Musher, a really bilingual man having no difficulty to read English, or from Rainer from LazY Pup, a person having initially no great English knowledge, but actually, now, today, an enormous experience as "Puppy freak No.", hm, no. 1 or less, or more (more than 1 does not go...)?

FatDog64 is one of the being accepted as a main Puppy release having streamlined the subdivision "help" in the main menu Idea

What is FatDog64, where are the sources mainly coming from, is the build of FatDog64 possible with some distro builder like woof?

There are major questions if I will contribute for me myself to get new packages?

I did read in the past «some kind of LFS derivate".

Do I remember right?

step recommend me Smokey01's recommendations, all the environment remember me to slackware.

where are the sources coming from?

what is to know, as beginner Idea to consider "I will try to do it myself"? is that the best idea without experience and exact howto or step by step user help?

what would be with pre compiled LFS packages (one or two distributions offers them. NuTyx, a "about" one-man-distribution (not any more today) build those packages and offers

a/ recepts
b/ finish downloadable binaries in a git

see first picture

c/ under http://nutyx.org/en/documentation

links permitting you to find without to have search where you don't know really where Laughing

d/ how to build packages
e/ how to develop packages as one real developer or developing assistent
f/ how to compile in half automatic all LFS / BLFS

see second picture.

Have we for FatDog such tools or can we use the tools from NuTyx if FatDog is a derivate of LFS (LFS is NOT a distribution! LFS is only a book! ,,,)

or can we find such help in the Slackware community if FatDog has to be considered as "more a derivate from Slackware" as from what else other?

I did begin this new thread to bring the information in a

central place

without to have to search in a 14..15 pages long thread or in the all forum Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Mad Laughing !

please write:

information, only information...

and don't foul / pollute the discussion (if the discussion starts! I am not certain...)!
nutyx.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   54.09 KB
 Viewed   107 Time(s)

nutyx.jpg

compileLFS.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   55.43 KB
 Viewed   107 Time(s)

compileLFS.jpg

step

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 18:48    Post subject: Re: what is the actual FatDog64 170 final
Subject description: a derivate of Slack or a derivate from LFS?

Hi slackfan,

The title of this thread, which you started, is "Re: what is the actual FatDog64 170 final", subtitle "a derivate of Slack or a derivate from LFS?", so I think I can answer at least that question.

The Fatdog64 710 help system gives a good answer. Click the Help icon on the desktop, scroll down to the end of the page, and click the link label "Fatdog's home". (If you had removed the Help icon from your desktop, open a ROX-Filer window and navigate to /usr/share/doc/fd-help and click file icon "index.md" and from there "Fatdog's home").

Excerpt from Fatdog's home page wrote:

Fatdog64 was originally derived from Puppy Linux, yet another fast, small and versatile Linux operating system for 32-bit Intel/AMD systems. Fatdog Linux (the precursor to Fatdog64) started as an “extended” or “fatter” derivative of Puppy Linux, including extras such as the complete Xorg, inclusion of large packages such as Firefox, Pidgin, Gimp, Kino, etc that made it larger (in terms of size) than Puppy Linux. Over the time, Fatdog migrated to support 64-bit platform (hence Fatdog64 name) and grew became an independent distribution of its own - while striving to keep the original spirit of Puppy Linux of being small, fast, and versatile. For a fuller history click here.
Fatdog64 700 series - the latest iteration of Fatdog64 - is hand-built based on recipes from Linux From Scratch, version 7.5 (the latest when the Fatdog64 700 alpha1, the first public release of Fatdog64 700, was released).

So, Fatdog64 is derived from Linux from Scratch and not from slackware.

ditto wrote:

Source packages used to build Fatdog64-710 can be found here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/source/710/

Each package is built using a so-called "recipe". Recipes aren't secret. They're stored in the Fatdog64 devx SFS, which you can download and load using the Fatdog64 SFS manager. After loading the devx SFS, all recipes can be found in /usr/src/pkgbuild/source. Alternatively, you can download the devx SfS from from http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/710/ and load it manually with the load_sfs.sh command.

If you don't load the SFS you can still get to the recipes online, here
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/source/710/recipes/

However, if you're a user, as you indicated, and have no previous experience compiling, I think that reading the recipes will do you no good, unfortunately. If you want to learn how to compile, you should probably start with something simpler, like some of Smokey01's projects in the Puppy Newsletter. But again, be prepared for a learning curve, sometimes a steep one. Compiling packages isn't an easy matter. Abundance of pre-compiled packages is obtained with hundreds, thousands of hours of hard work of the people who contribute the packages in their free time, when we have some free time to spare. By the way, I did appreciate your thank you note in the Fatdog64-710 Final thread.

So, Fatdog64 builds its own packages from source. There are other Puppy distros that take a different approach, and make themselves compatible with Ubuntu or Slackware package repositories. This gives you a much larger choice of "likely compatible" packages to meet your needs for internationalization and specific features. If Fatdog64 can't provide what you need - and your list here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=971032#971032 is quite long - you might be better off using another Puppy. Yet another similar option is turning to one of the recent Debian-based Dogs (see their forum threads). In the end, if you can't find what you need here, your best option could be to turn to Ubuntu or Slackware directly, for their larger package offer. There's nothing wrong with doing that.

Let's see if I can answer some more questions of yours below...

slackfan wrote:

What is FatDog64, where are the sources mainly coming from, is the build of FatDog64 possible with some distro builder like woof?

I already answered above. Let me add that Fatdog isn't built with woof. It's built with its own system, which is nearly 95% automated - the target audience is developers and not end users. End users can remaster Fatdog64, but that's another story.

Quote:

what is to know, as beginner Idea to consider "I will try to do it myself"? is that the best idea without experience and exact howto or step by step user help?

Not the best idea. It's possible; others have done it, with high motivation, interest for technical matters, and plenty of time to invest. It's a learning task, after all.

Quote:

what would be with pre compiled LFS packages (one or two distributions offers them. NuTyx, a "about" one-man-distribution (not any more today) build those packages and offers

Nobody here can tell you what would happen using a pre-compiled "alien" package in Fatdog64 or any other Puppy for that matter. You'd have to try yourself.
Quote:

d/ how to build packages
e/ how to develop packages as one real developer or developing assistent
f/ how to compile in half automatic all LFS / BLFS

Have we for FatDog such tools or can we use the tools from NuTyx if FatDog is a derivate of LFS (LFS is NOT a distribution! LFS is only a book! ,,,)

That's right. LFS and BLFS are a coherent collection of build instructions and build recipes - a method. Fatdog is a distribution that is built according to that general method, plus other specific methods that have been developed over the entire Fatdog xyz project history. I'm not familiar with NuTyx. Maybe it can be added to the Fatdog methods, although I can already tell you that nobody in the Fatdog team is looking into that.

Quote:

I did begin this new thread to bring the information in a

central place

without to have to search in a 14..15 pages long thread or in the all forum Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Mad Laughing !

I did answer you here, but I do prefer if you keep all information in the Fatdog64-710 Final thread because that's the the thread we read most often.

Searching that entire thread can be simplified by using the following technique that user MochiMoppel discovered:

Click on the thread title, this will bring you to the first (top) post in that thread. Now modify the URL in the browser address bar; append this string "&ppage=99999" and hit the ENTER key. Now the entire thread, all N pages of it, have collapsed into a single page! You can then save it as PDF, or search the page using your browser's search function.

Please use this technique sparingly, because it's thought to put more burden on the forum server. If you find yourself searching this way too often, just save the page offline and search offline.

Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: